Bas Rutten O2 Trainer

VampireMonk

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've been using the O2 Trainer for about 2 months now. And ever since I've been using it on a regular basis I haven't had an asthma attack. Now this is a big deal for me because I've had asthma all my life, I'm 40 years old now, and I've just come to live with it. When I was a kid it was really bad and I was hospitalized a lot. So much that my family almost went bankrupt and I almost didn't make it pass junior high because of so many absences. After junior high and towards high school, I got stronger from swimming and martial arts, but the asthma was always there. I never met anyone who had asthma worse than me. So it's been nothing short of a miracle for me that I haven't had any asthma for almost 2 months now. I workout more now, and I feel more confident in my cardio. I like that it makes my workouts shorter because it makes it more challenging.

Here is a clip of me using it. Bas Rutten's wife was kind enough to post this video on their O2 Trainer Facebook page!

These things are generally stupid. Why would wearing one for a few minutes of training a few times a week stimulate the changes the body experiences when training at high altitude? Even if you wear it for an hour a day and train everyday that's still 23 hours a day at normal altitude - all you're doing is making your air intake muscles work harder. For 99% of people any conditioning weakness is not due to poor air intake - it's gas exchange and fatigue. This will not help with either.

Also, being at altitude is not a question of less "air" intake, its a question of density of O2, and that, you cannot mimic using a mask.

As for your asthma? Very interesting, almost unbelievable.

Altitude is a bitch. Back when I worked for the forest service I lived in Leadville Colorado which is the highest city in the USA, about 10,200 feet. I used to run the mountains all the time with no issues.

Now I've been living at sea level-ish for 5 years I just suck wind at elevation.

The concept sounds dumb to me, but the exercise scientist said that the studies that concluded they didn't work only produced the averages, and that each group had at least one method of warming up with it that actually increased acute performance (the caveat being that using the "wrong" protocol for that individual actually decreased performance). So there may be some sort of short-term potentiation, IF you take the time to experiment and find out what you're a responder to.

Also, being at altitude is not a question of less "air" intake, its a question of density of O2, and that, you cannot mimic using a mask.

As for your asthma? Very interesting, almost unbelievable.
I did my research before buying it, because $50 is not cheap for me, the main thing I heard about this one is that it's suppose to correct your breathing and strengthen your lungs. At first I thought, dude I know how to breathe from my diaphragm, been doing martial arts for over 2 decades, come on. I've always heard good things about Bas Rutten, I figure at the very least it would help my cardio which is important to me, and has been a weak area for me.

After using it, I pay more attention to my breathing now, I breathe deeper more often now, especially right after I use it. It's helped me learn how to breathe deeper, and my lungs definitely do feel a little stronger. I will keep using it and try to see how much stronger I can get.

As for the asthma, I think miracle is the right word, my family and I did everything, all kinds of medicine, many kinds of doctors, allergy shots, even acupuncture, and Chinese herbal medicine.

All I'm saying is that I'm glad I didn't focus on the altitude arguments, and just thought of it as an exercise helper, like any exercise equipment, perfect pushups or whatever.

you're really fit for a 40 year old guy with crippling asthma.

you're really fit for a 40 year old guy with crippling asthma.
Thanks man, when I was a kid all the way up to junior high school I attribute the swimming lessons that helped me become stronger, from there I got into something I was truly passionate about, which was martial arts. I shot this video last year to show where I was at in life, asthma, and my workouts.

Last edited:
I did my research before buying it, because $50 is not cheap for me, the main thing I heard about this one is that it's suppose to correct your breathing and strengthen your lungs. At first I thought, dude I know how to breathe from my diaphragm, been doing martial arts for over 2 decades, come on. I've always heard good things about Bas Rutten, I figure at the very least it would help my cardio which is important to me, and has been a weak area for me.

After using it, I pay more attention to my breathing now, I breathe deeper more often now, especially right after I use it. It's helped me learn how to breathe deeper, and my lungs definitely do feel a little stronger. I will keep using it and try to see how much stronger I can get.

As for the asthma, I think miracle is the right word, my family and I did everything, all kinds of medicine, many kinds of doctors, allergy shots, even acupuncture, and Chinese herbal medicine.

All I'm saying is that I'm glad I didn't focus on the altitude arguments, and just thought of it as an exercise helper, like any exercise equipment, perfect pushups or whatever.

Not only does Bas Rutten say some really stupid shit, he puts out some absolutely awful products.

x2.jpg

Bas-Rutten-Blog-Lethal-Street-Fighting-DVD.jpg

Although the latter is good for unintentional comedy.

Not only does Bas Rutten say some really stupid shit, he puts out some absolutely awful products.

x2.jpg

Is that the video where he shows you how to break plates and glasses and use them as weapons?

No way this thing can simulate altitude but it has to at least force you to control your breathing. I'd pay up to $6.50 for one.

Is that the video where he shows you how to break plates and glasses and use them as weapons?

Yes. He basically shows you how to escalate a simple scuffle in a bar into aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. I'm surprised he didn't show how to curb stomp someone.

While it wont simulate anything simular to being at altitude (which is where the content of oxygen is lower and therefor your body adapts by producing more hemaglobin/red blood cells and thus can transport more oxygen), using a respiratory resistance device can have some other benefits. It can argually improve performance by working the diaphragm and secondary respiratory muscles. I personally don't like it that much because even though you might improve the endurance of your breathing muscles, especially while under max effort, your breathing patterns can change a little too much. You tend to use the secondary muscles more, it can create a bad habit of shallower breathing, imo. I'd much rather work on improving relaxation and deeper breathing while doing physical activities personally. Depends on the subject really, and their fitness level and breathing patterns.

Annyyway, in regards to asthma, it does make sense! There has actually been quite a few studies that show improvement with breathing and less dyspnea(shortness of breath) in people with obstructive lung diseases, with the use of IMT(inspiratory muscle training) devices! They restrict inspiratory function somewhat, kinda like the one TS is using:

http://www.resmedjournal.com/article/S0954-6111(08)00247-3/abstract?cc=y=
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2845249/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2692111/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16996322

Yes. He basically shows you how to escalate a simple scuffle in a bar into aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. I'm surprised he didn't show how to curb stomp someone.

I love that video!!! He does not while wearing tactical pants too!!! No de escalation, just smashing shit on fools. Bas ruten FTW !!!

x2.jpg

Bong, bong, bong, then kick to the balls! awesome lol

While it wont simulate anything simular to being at altitude (which is where the content of oxygen is lower and therefor your body adapts by producing more hemaglobin/red blood cells and thus can transport more oxygen), using a respiratory resistance device can have some other benefits. It can argually improve performance by working the diaphragm and secondary respiratory muscles. I personally don't like it that much because even though you might improve the endurance of your breathing muscles, especially while under max effort, your breathing patterns can change a little too much. You tend to use the secondary muscles more, it can create a bad habit of shallower breathing, imo. I'd much rather work on improving relaxation and deeper breathing while doing physical activities personally. Depends on the subject really, and their fitness level and breathing patterns.

Annyyway, in regards to asthma, it does make sense! There has actually been quite a few studies that show improvement with breathing and less dyspnea(shortness of breath) in people with obstructive lung diseases, with the use of IMT(inspiratory muscle training) devices! They restrict inspiratory function somewhat, kinda like the one TS is using:

http://www.resmedjournal.com/article/S0954-6111(08)00247-3/abstract?cc=y=
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2845249/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2692111/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16996322

Came to post something similar to this.

While these things don't typically alter O2 saturation, the hypoxic effects can be similar enough as there will still be limited gas exchange from the relative O2 intake, or, the ratio of O2 vs CO2 will change enough to be hypoxic and hypercapnic (producing similar physiological effects, just not much change to HB as the hematological changes from something like this will be the result of training rather than the inspired O2).

They are good for respiratory muscle training imo if needed, a study on rugby players did very well with a training mask, but altitude training itself is a caveat of much scrutiny and consideration.

Last edited:
The O2 Trainer is designed to strengthen your lungs, I've been using it, and obviously my heart hasn't exploded. All the people talking about altitude this and that totally missed the point. I guess it's no surprise that I would find people on a forum that just want to ridicule, belittle, and argue all day.

The Body Action System was made by Bas so you don't get tendonitis. I'm not here to argue, I got better things to do. I just wanted to inform people that want to strengthen their lungs that the O2 Trainer has done it for me, and not only that I haven't had asthma since I started using it at 40 years of age, so if you suffer from asthma then don't listen to the naysayers and seriously consider giving this a shot.

I love that video!!! He does not while wearing tactical pants too!!! No de escalation, just smashing shit on fools. Bas ruten FTW !!!

"What's that, you said something about my wife? I'm sorry sir, but I'm going to have to break your leg!" That video cracks me up.

Back