Barehanded strike for street fight

I could go on with endless anecdotal stories about fights Ive been in or my friends, but let's be serious. You are on here advocating for playing with, or holding back or something when involved in a street fight. You also make alot of assumptions about how people will react in a fight. My experience and training tells me you dont play the fuck around game with someone in a hand to hand fight. You do what you need to and get away.

I am not talking about kicking someone's head when they are on the ground cold here...I am talking about using hardcore brute force and skill to take away a threat in as little time as possible before getting away.

Infact, if I could specifically choose one type of person to end up in a conflict against, it would be against someone who underestimates my response or doesn't go full retard to put me down ASAP.

My assumption about people walking around without weapons includes that they are normal people, and not deadly unarmed assassins will not stop at nothing to kill you when engaged in H2H. Most H2H is just posturing by two knuckleheads. And not surprisingly, usually they both know each other. Once steam is let off, it ends.

More often than not, the "brute force" is not in the form of strikes but grabbing, holding, and stiff arming/shoving. As I mentioned in one of my other posts, strikes will usually be rapid, successive arm strikes, especially for untrained/inexperienced persons. They are not the most powerful, but easy to control, require less commitment. Your subconscious will always try to hold something back. It wants you to stay safe, rather than be risky.

You want to be serious, well, today's society is not some apocalyptic, kill or be kill mode scenario. Most people are going to tentative and cautious if not out right timid in these scenarios. They be lucky to even land a square punch on someone.

My assumption about people walking around without weapons includes that they are normal people, and not deadly unarmed assassins will not stop at nothing to kill you when engaged in H2H. Most H2H is just posturing by two knuckleheads. And not surprisingly, usually they both know each other. Once steam is let off, it ends.

More often than not, the "brute force" is not in the form of strikes but grabbing, holding, and stiff arming/shoving. As I mentioned in one of my other posts, strikes will usually be rapid, successive arm strikes, especially for untrained/inexperienced persons. They are not the most powerful, but easy to control, require less commitment. Your subconscious will always try to hold something back. It wants you to stay safe, rather than be risky.

You want to be serious, well, today's society is not some apocalyptic, kill or be kill mode scenario. Most people are going to tentative and cautious if not out right timid in these scenarios. They be lucky to even land a square punch on someone.

You're pretty much making shit up as you go along here aren't you. You don't seem at all like a person who has been involved in any fight outside of a gym. 'more often than not, most people, most H2H'.

You do understand all it takes is a push and a trip and you smack your skull on the pavement and it's game over right??? Or you going to tell me 'most people' wont fall over lol. Your subconscious will always try to hold something back? wtf? Where are you even getting your information from???

You're pretty much making shit up as you go along here aren't you. You don't seem at all like a person who has been involved in any fight outside of a gym. 'more often than not, most people, most H2H'.

You do understand all it takes is a push and a trip and you smack your skull on the pavement and it's game over right??? Or you going to tell me 'most people' wont fall over lol. Your subconscious will always try to hold something back? wtf? Where are you even getting your information from???

Of course I aint be in lots of fights. I am a normal person. You claim you have so many fights. You are the one making bold statements here, not me.

LOL at getting pushed so hard, you fall and hit your head on pavement. Did one of your multitude of fights involve Richie Incognito, or some NFL lineman? Surely someone such as yourself with so many fights, and similar friends wont get tripped up so easily and smack head on concrete.

Depends on which society you're currently living in. Posturing can lead to a H2H, which then can lead to armed violence. Speaking from the third world, escalation is something that must be gauged and watched out for (we don't stop at the end of the altercation, we still must watch out for reprisals). Hell, I believe there was a recent case in a Florida park. As I've said, depends on the society: if it facilitates carrying weapons, there is a chance for the situation to turn bloody.

Punch with your fucking fist. Can't stand the self defense 'experts' who say open hand, destroy the other guy as quickly as possible and worry about broken hands later....if you're in a fist fight as a grown adult, you should be worried about alot more happening to you than a broken hand.

but the anotamical correctness of the trajectory point upon maximum impact within the striking angle multiplied by your transitional force and rotational impact of the joint........... <45>

that being said, i think the flat palm strike from a straight punch can do alot of damage if it lands on the nose. however I wouldnt use it in a self defense situation, maybe if you used it as a "sucker punch" perhaps but yeah punch with your fist guys.

Depends on which society you're currently living in. Posturing can lead to a H2H, which then can lead to armed violence. Speaking from the third world, escalation is something that must be gauged and watched out for (we don't stop at the end of the altercation, we still must watch out for reprisals). Hell, I believe there was a recent case in a Florida park. As I've said, depends on the society: if it facilitates carrying weapons, there is a chance for the situation to turn bloody.

I was going to bring up that incident in the Florida park. The perp was involved in a fist fight prior to rampage, but he did not fracture his hands thereby rendering himself unable to squeeze gun, nor did the other guy fracture his hands in process of putting the perp down for good ASAP.

Oh geez, I wonder how come? The perp not bring gun nor get shot himself if only someone fractured their hands in the prior fist fight.

Edit, if only @BillytheFish, or should we call him Bill Badass, was there to fracture his hand on this guy's skull.

Last edited:
Depends on the local culture

'When in the 209, do as the Stocktonians do~'

<{natewhut}>

I have broken my hand on someone's head. I have watched my friends break their hands on people's heads. I have responded to men/women/kids who have needed medical attention for being punched in the head. None of these are 'extreme' and happen on a daily basis. I am not sure what you mean by not being able to break your hand on purpose? I can assure you Ive never broken anything on purpose lol...

My background is not solely as a paramedic; if there is a physical threat underway you do as much damage in as little time as possible and then get away. UNLESS you can avoid a conflict in the first place.

just gonna add my 2 cents since everyone is now debating a "street fight" more or less. I agree with you, i think alot of the members on sherdog are younger guys and teens so a "street fight" to them is meeting at the flag pole after school. Sure we did that stuff to when we were younger and we thought they were street fights, but they were agreed fights.

your right though, the one who wins is the one willing to perform the most violence quickest.

So many ppl think of self defense sitautions as "MMA matches in the street"

since theres no rules, then um, theres no rules so thats how one should act. why punch someone when you can shoot them? Why get out of your car to fight when you can just run them over? why fight 1 on 1 when me and my 10 friends can jump you. So on and so forth. I know your on the same page as me, just pointing this out to the other guys.

definitely a situation where running these guys over with your car and shooting them would have been justified.

Last edited:
I was going to bring up that incident in the Florida park. The perp was involved in a fist fight prior to rampage, but he did not fracture his hands thereby rendering himself unable to squeeze gun, nor did the other guy fracture his hands in process of putting the perp down for good ASAP.

Oh geez, I wonder how come? The perp not bring gun nor get shot himself if only someone fractured their hands in the prior fist fight.

IIRC, the guy who put down the perp wasn't involved in the prior fistfight and used a gun immediately.

BTW, most punching fractures involve the ring and pinkie bones. It won't stop someone from pulling a trigger, although holding something can hurt like hell.

As I've said before, depends on the society. If he felt that your disrespect warrants your death, then it'll escalate quickly. And sometimes, they will think that breaking their hand is a good price to pay if you're crippled afterwards. Especially when there are money, drugs and/or turf involved.

I grew up in a shit neighborhood with an alcoholic parent, been in and seen more "street fights" than I can count. I've been doing martial arts, both TMA and boxing/kickboxing/MMA/BJJ for a long time now.

I'm fine with both open hand and closed hand. If you're a boxer, throw closed hands. If you do TMA, throw your open hand. The strategies and supporting concepts/techniques are different for both.

Also the idea people have of anything outside of a ring = "street fight" is flawed. You can categorize unarmed confrontations a number of ways, each with different criteria for how to handle the situation. There's mutually agreed upon conflicts IE two guys puffing chests at a party. There's unexpected assaults IE guy tries to sucker punch you from outside your periphery. There's unprovoked violent assaults IE someone jumps out from behind your car to kick your ass and rob you (unarmed in this case). and the list goes on. All of those different types of assaults call for different tactics. In a puffing of chests, probably 90% of "street fights", I doubt I'd throw a punch. A double leg and controlling from mount is normally sufficient.

My grandfada told us this as kids. When you get in a street fight you little motherfuckers gotta know its going to be a all out brawl no rules use every thing in your armament I replied like the "US government paw" yup go full USA WW2 on that punk as bitch for trying you.

Of course I aint be in lots of fights. I am a normal person. You claim you have so many fights. You are the one making bold statements here, not me.

LOL at getting pushed so hard, you fall and hit your head on pavement. Did one of your multitude of fights involve Richie Incognito, or some NFL lineman? Surely someone such as yourself with so many fights, and similar friends wont get tripped up so easily and smack head on concrete.

Here's a thought, if you haven't been in many fights, have no personal experience, no amateur or professional training in any of this...why the fuck are you on here commenting let alone giving out advice?????

your right though, the one who wins is the one willing to perform the most violence quickest.

Correct. Even armies know that dakka wins the battle. Unfortunately, there's never enough dakka.

So many ppl think of self defense sitautions as "MMA matches in the street".

The noobs think that way. The more experienced have more considerations to mind to. See below.

since theres no rules, then um, theres no rules so thats how one should act. why punch someone when you can shoot them? Why get out of your car to fight when you can just run them over? why fight 1 on 1 when me and my 10 friends can jump you. So on and so forth. I know your on the same page as me, just pointing this out to the other guys.

Here is the thing: there's something called laws, and there is this biggest gang called police. The noobs and the uncontrollables gain the ire of this gang while the experienced avoid it and teach the promising noobs how to do so. And breaking the laws on violence (even unarmed) pisses off this gang. The noobs want to have fun while gaining rep while the experienced want to gain rep and/or money (which will be hindered if they draw the ire of said gang). That's why if you clash with the experienced, it'll be quick. Why spend time in fights when you can be dicking hoes or earning money.

And no, the experienced aren't just referring to members of organized crime. Many of them are just former noobs who'd dicked around with the law for too long and learned certain ways. For them, destroying someone isn't a matter of fists but rather everything they can use. That's why I can understand why @BillytheFish thinks that way. Most of the time, the only advantage you can get is initiative, and it is fucking hard to keep it. Finishing the fight early to keep Lady Luck and Murphy from intervening may be the only bet you'll have.

My grandfada told us this as kids. When you get in a street fight you little motherfuckers gotta know its going to be a all out brawl no rules use every thing in your armament I replied like the "US government paw" yup go full USA WW2 on that punk as bitch for trying you.

Unless you have a legal or moral duty to stay and fight it's stupid to do so. At the same time, remember you do not live in a bubble: you actions may not only haunt you but also those related to you as well. And you cannot stay with them 24/7 to guard them.

It's not that wise to throw strictly open hand strikes if your sole strategy in the fight is to get the KO (talking self defense here). If you opt to keep your hand strikes restricted to open hands, they should probably be kept to being used to set up kicks and knock downs. or establishing the clinch. Also those open hands should be supplemented with knees and elbow.

I feel like realistically for most people (ignoring Bas), open handed strikes for KO's will typically be best targeted the back of the head (the illegal area in MMA). But that is extremely dangerous if you are concerned about legal repercussions.

Correct. Even armies know that dakka wins the battle. Unfortunately, there's never enough dakka.

The noobs think that way. The more experienced have more considerations to mind to. See below.

Here is the thing: there's something called laws, and there is this biggest gang called police. The noobs and the uncontrollables gain the ire of this gang while the experienced avoid it and teach the promising noobs how to do so. And breaking the laws on violence (even unarmed) pisses off this gang. The noobs want to have fun while gaining rep while the experienced want to gain rep and/or money (which will be hindered if they draw the ire of said gang). That's why if you clash with the experienced, it'll be quick. Why spend time in fights when you can be dicking hoes or earning money.

And no, the experienced aren't just referring to members of organized crime. Many of them are just former noobs who'd dicked around with the law for too long and learned certain ways. For them, destroying someone isn't a matter of fists but rather everything they can use. That's why I can understand why @BillytheFish thinks that way. Most of the time, the only advantage you can get is initiative, and it is fucking hard to keep it. Finishing the fight early to keep Lady Luck and Murphy from intervening may be the only bet you'll have.

well yeah you cant shoot someone because he throws his cup of water on you. But you can in self defense, so while mr tuff guy thinks hes going to have a MMA match, once he throws his first "open handed punch" the other guy can legally shoot in self defense.

self defense

murder

well yeah you cant shoot someone because he throws his cup of water on you. But you can in self defense, so while mr tuff guy thinks hes going to have a MMA match, once he throws his first "open handed punch" the other guy can legally shoot in self defense.

self defense

murder

Depends on your local laws. In some places, if the opposing lawyer can prove that you reasonably know that the perp was unarmed and you shot him, unless he has an overwhelming physical advantage on you there goes your self-defense plea (usually this doesn't happen with women). SD laws usually doesn't allow one to unreasonably escalate the level of violence. The Fort Myers SD shooting video has all the elements of the encounter supporting the shooter:

1. The shooter didn't initiate the unlawful behavior (this usually doesn't happen with the 'normal' knucklehead guys who struts their stuff aka the most commonly perceived notion of a streetfight).
2. The shooter was outnumbered.
3. The shooter was blitzed when he shot the perp.
4. The shooter promptly reported the incident.

usually fist.
Palm hands only for the experienced.

Here's a thought, if you haven't been in many fights, have no personal experience, no amateur or professional training in any of this...why the fuck are you on here commenting let alone giving out advice?????

Because this is an internet forum. Anyone can claim anything including that they and their clique are badasses that have been through lots of dangerous street fights, and therefore must know so much more than another person who is stating what they observe.

Because this is an internet forum. Anyone can claim anything including that they and their clique are badasses that have been through lots of dangerous street fights, and therefore must know so much more than another person who is stating what they observe.

So you've no experience in fighting, in any format- and you're on here giving advice? Gotcha. Tool.

Last edited:
Back