Bands you loved, now can't listen to

I was a huge of Evanescence back in 2003 to 2006.

It was weird when the co-founder of the band, the lead guitarist, quit only 6 months after the band got its huge break of being on the Daredevil soundtrack. They were huge, and he just left supposedly frustrated with the lead singer, Amy Lee, was getting all the attention.

Walking away from a band you created and were going to be making MILLIONS of dollars a year playing in? WTF...

Then over the next two years each of the other three band members leave, and Amy Lee gave very smooth answers about it in interviews, like a smooth politician.

So I came to the conclusion that Amy Lee is a complete bitch behind the scenes. It's the most likely scenario, and I'm damn sure that's the case.

Its sad, because they really had some great songs.

Being the only original member of your band is how you know you're a dick. Just ask axl or billy.

Speaking of leaving before the money came... Uli Jon Roth left the scorpions because they we becoming too mainstream.

That's like 10 Evanescences.

The Who, they used to be my favorite band growing up but now I just can't listen to their songs anymore, too overplayed I guess.

Cannibal Corpse. I was a fan in my teens, saw them play live twice, now I find them ridiculous and childish.

Oh lord yes, same here. I'll never forget the first time we heard Cannibal Corpse, it was just the perfect time where me and my friend had been wanting something heavier than the usual, we were listening to the Dish Network metal music channel thing all drunk one night when one of the songs from Bloodthirst came on and blew our minds, both of us rushed out and bought that album the next weekend and we got pretty deep into death metal over the next couple of years.

I went a decade or so without listening to them and then a couple Summers ago when Hastings was going out of business they were selling all their CD's for next to nothing, I found a copy of Hammer Smashed Face and picked it up just for old times sake, put it in my CD player for the ride home and almost wanted to throw the thing out the window, just ridiculous, can't believe I ever got into that type of music.

Also I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I was into Insane Clown Posse back in the day, they were actually really cool around 1997-1998 when Great Malenko was fresh, I was into Jeckel Brothers too. Grew out of that band really quick though.

feels like I've been in a similar type thread before....<JerryWWF>

then, as is now, no band has fallen from grace with me like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers have.

Several metal band that I liked in high school. I guess it's more or less a genre. If a band got shitty later on in their career, chances are I'll still listen to their older stuff.

Tool, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails.

I like the music but the lyrics are just too heavy for a 31 year old who took way too long to get his life in order.

I’m trying to keep myself upbeat and I don’t think I can do that by repeatedly listening to great music with lyrics and singing that describe depression or other forms of torment.

These are good choices. I felt TOOL was really deep as a teenager, as an adult, it's nothing special.

I also have a hard time enjoying a lot of the angsty stuff I grew up with. I just don't feel that way anymore. A lot of stuff I grew up, I doubt I'd get into as an adult.

Children of Bodom or Kalmah.

It's the vocals for Bodom and the guitar tone for Kalmah.

Alexi is a special kind of bad I've come to realize. Was so mesmerized with the instrumental work when I was a kid though.
I cannot tolerate a keytar anymore. Tolerance has dropped since childhood.

NIN made some amazing music (and it usually doesn't coincide with their most famous ''hit'' songs, Closer? yawn, their hit songs are the most banal stuff they did), corny lyrics or not (and some are reaaally corny), albums as sonically interesting and diverse as ''The Fragile'' don't just happen by chance if you don't have talent. Also, Reznor created a signature sound that you can instantly tell it's NIN, even if you are listening to stuff like the Quake soundtrack or his most recent movie soundtracks, his style is very distinctive and I don't feel his music was ''manufactured'' or insincere at all, the image and the marketing side, that's another matter.

Some older 'tronic music like Aphex Twin, Chem Bros, Crystal Method, Fatboy Slim. It's not that most is bad, it just sounds dated.

Classic Prodigy still thumps though.

''Aphex Twin'' sounds dated? whaaat? Did you listen to his Analord stuff?

NIN made some amazing music (and it usually doesn't coincide with their most famous ''hit'' songs, Closer? yawn, their hit songs are the most banal stuff they did), corny lyrics or not (and some are reaaally corny), albums as sonically interesting and diverse as ''The Fragile'' don't just happen by chance if you don't have talent. Also, Reznor created a signature sound that you can instantly tell it's NIN, even if you are listening to stuff like the Quake soundtrack or his most recent movie soundtracks, his style is very distinctive and I don't feel his music was ''manufactured'' or insincere at all, the image and the marketing side, that's another matter.

Reznor was incredible and I’d put Closer up there as one of his best. I also liked Head like a Hole, Reptile, Burn, Wish, Came Back Haunted and quite a few others. I avoid most of his songs now because of his depressing lyrics and whiny delivery, mainly for my own mental benefit. I still like the music behind it however and NIN were fantastic live.

These are good choices. I felt TOOL was really deep as a teenager, as an adult, it's nothing special.

I also have a hard time enjoying a lot of the angsty stuff I grew up with. I just don't feel that way anymore. A lot of stuff I grew up, I doubt I'd get into as an adult.

Same. I wish that I never listened to them, to be honest. It is clear that Maynard has went through some heavy shit in his life but he paints such a negative picture with his lyrics that listening to them through earphones repeatedly cannot be good for you. I was very angsty and depressed as a teenager and young adult but looking back, I’d have liked to have made the situation better and not worse.

If a child came up to me and asked me for some advice, I’d tell them to be aware of what they are listening to. I don’t blame artists for their work or any songs, just realise that angst and depression need to be tackled, not self-assured.

AC DC
Kiss
Led Zeppelin
Just can't listen to these grew up with older brothers heard this stuff way way to much.

There was a profile of Reznor in the New Yorker a few years back. He's apparently a very talented musician - and he came off as a good, thoughtful guy. It's unfortunate that I've always found NIN's music to be awful. Why these guys got popular instead of some of the other more interesting Wax Trax/Chicago area industrial bands is baffling.

Anyway, for me it's definitely REM. In HS I thought they were the greatest thing ever. When I hear them now, except for some of the very early songs, it just sounds overwrought and very very average. For a short time I was a fan of Smashing Pumpkins too, but Corgan's idiocy make it impossible for me to listen to the music.

Ozzy, Metallica

I think it's more of a loss of respect. After the reality show, I just about lost any and all respect for Ozzy. Additionally, something about his voice is shrill and almost painful to me. I refuse to watch Some Kind of Monster; but I've seen enough bits of it to get the gist.

Mushroomhead. Being from NE Ohio and in HS/college in the late 90's early 2000's they were the local kings of the underground scene there. Their self released albums were good and the live shows always felt like an event because you never knew what would happen. Between 98-05 I probably saw them around 50 times live. They kinda turned into a parody after that. Then last year when I was back in the area visiting family I saw they were playing and figured I'd go for old times sake. It was awful, no edge , no energy and basically going through the motions. I still have a lot of good memories from going their shows with my buddies but I can't listen to them anymore.

I liked U2 in the mid/late 80's as i grew out of listening to hair metal, but didn't like the stuff they made after that when they really blew up. Also, Bono seems like such a douche. I listened to a lot of hardcore in the late 80's and 90's, but outgrew it. It was awesome then, and i went to a ton of shows, but a lot of it i can't really listen to now.

I loved metal, then grunge and then switched to EDM. It's quite common for music tastes to change as you get older. I still mostly listen to EDM but love a bit of variety, except metal.

Back