Bands the Change over Time

Beastie Boys, there's a couple punk songs on Ill Communication, mullet head on the clueless soundtrack, and they have the Aglio E. Olio EP. But they pretty much gave up on punk in the mid-90's.

Everyone knows what their rap sounds like.

Early Cave-In. Brutal creative weird metal. (1998)

Egyptian influenced, synth post-rock alternative (2000)

For me, this is a change for the worse.

....the Doobies were never THAT great....
You're dead to me....
the McDonald years are some of the best soft rock besides Steely Dan.
Ok, maybe not just yet.
Its a sign your getting middle aged when you preffer the McDonald years.
Haha, so true. Sigh.

Although it could have used sharper synth notes and a heated sax segment, this is a good number. Really like the album direction and general theme.
I love getting high to that album, ha. So mellow.

You're dead to me....

Ok, maybe not just yet.

Haha, so true. Sigh.

I love getting high to that album, ha. So mellow.

I mean yes the earlier stuff certainly isn't bad at all but as I said for that kind of music there are other bands I would listen to first where as I think the McDonald years are closer to the top for that kind of music.

This is the same band<2>

I loved El Cielo and liked Catch Without Arms. Not sure how many ping pong balls they huffed in order to make Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy. I just want the old Dredg back! I hear they're working on a new album. Here's to dreaming...

Last edited:
I'd argue that actually it was Steve Hackett leaving that really caused Genisis to shift more towards pop rather than Gabriel who went on to have a pretty poppy(although much superior IMHO) career himself.

My favorite time is Lamb through ...And then there were three. I'll listen to Duke and Abacab (the albums after don't hold a candle), as well as the early Gabriel albums (I usually skip their first album but definitely get in a mood for the next four albums), but there was magic after the band had to show everyone that they were more than just Gabriel's backing band. I loves me some solo Gabriel too.

Some bands/artists have had long carreers while basically sounding more or less the same. Not that they didn't evolve, but they didn't ... change.

Some artists, though, change radically. Like Ulver. And in case of Ulver, they changed from (imo decent, but nothing more) black metal to absolutely GREAT "alternative (synth)pop".

God, I love Ulvers latest album, The Assasination of Julius Caesar. Best album I've heard this year.

So do you have examples of artists changing radically, preferably for the better?

Early Ulver:

Present day Ulver:

Immediately thought about Ulver, they are pretty hard to beat in that category and you haven't even mentioned Kveldssanger, the other complete awesome UFO in their discography. Too bad I can't stand Garm's current style of clean vocals, even live it kept me out of fully getting into it.

Coil, the main influence of their switch to electronic music, deserves a mention too.

Used to be a big fan of Incubus in the late 90s when they were a kinda jazz/metal/funk fusion band:

Then I went off rock music for a while in the early 00s. When I rekindled my interest in the late 00s, they'd seemingly castrated themselves and now put out this sort of emo nonsense:

Metallica used to be cool then they cut their hair and wanted to sue their fanbase

I dont know if its true or not but I heard Katy Perry was a Christian artist and is like a hoe in her videos now.

The Flaming Lips continually change with the times experimenting with sounds and formats. They might have jumped the shark.

The Misfits with Glenn Danzig were much better.

Powerman 5000 changed from a hip hop / rap group to a rock /metal group...pretty crazy change and totally different fan base.

I listen to a lot of industrial / electro and one of my favorite bands (Aesthetic Perfection) went from very aggressive and energetic music to basically boy-band pop music over maybe 4 albums.

Good example :
1st album (Live and sounds bad, but you get the idea)

4th album

Fall Out Boy. When I first got into FOB, they sounded like a garage punk pop rock band. Gradually over time and especially now, they sound like just straight pop music.

By the way, the lead singer of Paramore is so underrated as a singer. Her voice is amazing!

When I was in high school, a friend of mine introduced me to this little known band from Huntington Beach:

avengedsevenfoldststwtf.png

Being a full-out metalhead at the time, I was not too enthused with their music nor their image. So imagine my surprise when I saw them live couple years later at Ozzfest. Now they look like this:

avengedsevenfold.jpg

I think this thread would be incomplete without mentioning Pantera:

lruigq6.jpg

Pantera-powermetal-600x450.jpg

pantera2.jpg

Rhy's from Goldie Looking Chain went from foul mouthed comedy rap....

To Keith Jarrett like expressionistic piano solos...

Back