Bands the Change over Time

30 seconds to mars used to be pretty hardcore but now they sound like sjw version of imagine dragons

against me went from folk punk band

To trans anthem sellout band

The Doobie Brothers. They started off as Norcal motorcycle stoner hippies and morphed into Michael McDonald's backup band and then full circle back again and they are still touring. I actually love most of the major phases of the band despite the radical changes.

If you look at their debut album or the second one, "Toulouse Street," and then a later album like "Minute by Minute" or even "Living on the Fault Line," you will notice the quite drastic change. The changes were so drastic, the band lost fans.

I don’t know about radically but Green Day and Offspring were definitely not the same after 1994.

They definitely ate the commercialization cake.

Green Day has tried to distance themselves from the Dookie album which I find ridiculous.

Dookie was their commercialization album tho lol

It was all ‘pop’ after that for them.

I hear you with Offspring too.. Smash is a great album tho, imo

Michael McDonald killed the doobies just like that keyboard player killed 38 special.

Some bands/artists have had long carreers while basically sounding more or less the same. Not that they didn't evolve, but they didn't ... change.

Some artists, though, change radically. Like Ulver. And in case of Ulver, they changed from (imo decent, but nothing more) black metal to absolutely GREAT "alternative (synth)pop".

God, I love Ulvers latest album, The Assasination of Julius Caesar. Best album I've heard this year.

So do you have examples of artists changing radically, preferably for the better?

Early Ulver:

Present day Ulver:

I adored the first Ulver album as a teenager. I checked the new one after reading this post and it's pretty cool. Thanks for the heads up!

Michael McDonald killed the doobies just like that keyboard player killed 38 special.

Its a sign your getting middle aged when you preffer the McDonald years. <45>

Honestly though whilst typically I would pick up tempo harder bluesy rock over soft rock the Doobies were never THAT great at the former for me where as I think the McDonald years are some of the best soft rock besides Steely Dan.

I'm 56 and my tastes are getting harder.......and softer. I'm just appreciating what the artists are trying to get across more now than when I was younger.

Michael Mcdonald is great and his stuff with the doobies is great but there is no denying it is missing that raw sound of the early years.

against me went from folk punk band

To trans anthem sellout band

I'm kind of digging the new Laura Jane Grace & the Devouring Mothers stuff. I think Bloodshot records is a good fit.

Genesis. The progressive/art rock of the Peter Gabriel years to the catchy 80's top 40 pop of the Phil Collins years.

genesis_1_3051640b.jpg

c8bc9c41aefba5ae7b2ad2106d41cb7e-genesis-band-peter-gabriel-540x510.jpg

Amazing how male pattern baldness can change aman.

I'd argue that actually it was Steve Hackett leaving that really caused Genisis to shift more towards pop rather than Gabriel who went on to have a pretty poppy(although much superior IMHO) career himself.
I'm 56 and my tastes are getting harder.......and softer. I'm just appreciating what the artists are trying to get across more now than when I was younger.

Michael Mcdonald is great and his stuff with the doobies is great but there is no denying it is missing that raw sound of the early years.

I can think of a lot of bands I'd go to before the Doobies though like the Allmans, Little Feat, Skynyrd, etc for that kind of music.

Katatonia

Katatonia are great, I have a hard time figuring out if I like early Katatonia, "Last fair Deal" - Katatonia or present day Katatonia the best. To me they're a great example of a band that changed while still managing to not "sell out" or become irrelevant.

Anathema is another band from that era that springs to mind that went from death/doom to more mellow alternative rock (although they didn't manage as well as Katatonia and became somewhat boring imo).

Almost every Swans album is radically different than the last.

Same with Kayo Dot, minus the "almost." They've never made two albums that sound alike.

Not that I ever liked them anyway but since they're playing on the radio at work, Maroon 5. I fucking hate when bands sell out to rap shit.

Katatonia was a good choice. It seems almost every black metal band ends up going prog at some point. I know a lot of fans get turned off by that but to me it just shows growth as an artist. Opeth is another one where it was full on death growls and now they are are some weird jazz-prog rock fusion.

My choice is Silverchair. I grew up with that band and it was a lot of fun seeing them grow as artist. It was a natural evolution and it felt like they evolved with me. From grunge rock/angst to Queen-esque pop-prog-rock.

1995:

2002:

Linkin Park is another big one but not in a good way. I felt bad for them because they really got bashed towards the end. I think their last album was embarrassingly awful and some people say the negative comments influenced Chester's suicide. Still, they were doing what they wanted to do and I respect that. They could have easily done the rap/rock formula their entire career but they grew up.

They went in a bunch of new directions after their 2nd album. From prog rock to hard rock to power pop. I actually really liked their prog rock run and wish they would have stuck there.

2000:

2007:

2010:

2017:

Linkin Park is another big one but not in a good way. I felt bad for them because they really got bashed towards the end. I think their last album was embarrassingly awful and some people say the negative comments influenced Chester's suicide. Still, they were doing what they wanted to do and I respect that. They could have easily done the rap/rock formula their entire career but they grew up.

They went in a bunch of new directions after their 2nd album. From prog rock to hard rock to power pop. I actually really liked their prog rock run and wish they would have stuck there.

2000:

2007:

2010:

2017:

I'm one of those people who doesn't care when people say "LOL you like Linkin Park" - I think One More Light is the only album that I don't like a single song on. Every other album are guilty pleasures of mine that I can find at least 2-3 songs I really dig on.

I can appreciate them trying new stuff, though.

I'm one of those people who doesn't care when people say "LOL you like Linkin Park" - I think One More Light is the only album that I don't like a single song on. Every other album are guilty pleasures of mine that I can find at least 2-3 songs I really dig on.

I can appreciate them trying new stuff, though.

Same. I never got into any of the other rap rock bands unless you count Rage. I appreciate well-produced material. Even if it's shallow like Katy Perry and Linkin is very well produced.

I don't like One More Light but every other album was solid I thought.

Back