Bands the Change over Time

AFI has changed constantly throughout their career.

Will leave it at that. Pretty dramatic. Crash Love was so bad. I haven't listened since DU. It took me a long time to even accept Sing The Sorrow, and that was only bc I saw them live and the show was amazing. The Art Of Drowning was my favorite album ever at the time, I was heartbroken by how dramatically different STS was when I bought it the day it was released. I shattered that CD I was so pissed off.

DMX went from this:

To this:

I think all of the crack and prison time got to him

Portugal the Man

As someone who has listened to them since the beginning I always appreciated that they changed their style album to album. They also used to release an album every year.

They totally sold out and I wasn’t a big fan of their latest album but I can respect it. Gotta make that big money. They already did enough for their hardcore fans in the past.

I don't necessarily agree, but MM circa 97-01 was something special.

I think their latest wasn't bad but overall found We Were Dead... pretty frustrating. Flashes of the old brilliance - Whale Song, Spitting Venom, Parting of the Sensory. But too much filler. I guess I just miss the substance-fueled three piece days...

Machine Head (especially Robb Flynn)

from

Horns+Up+Rocks+Slayer+Jeff+Hanneman+Machine+Head+Robb+Flynn.jpg

to

screen-shot-2011-11-02-at-1-54-34-pm.png

to

machineheadband2015promocolor_638.jpg

The Beatles went from "Love Me Do" to "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" in the space of about four years.
I would have said something more like Revolution or While my Guitar Gently Weeps instead of Lucy to show how much they changed, but I came here to say The Beatles.

Metallica changed a ton

I would have said something more like Revolution or While my Guitar Gently Weeps instead of Lucy to show how much they changed, but I came here to say The Beatles.

Metallica changed a ton
You can really go in any direction you want to with the Beatles.

Early songs:
PS I Love You
Please Please Me
She Loves You

Mid-years:
Help!
Drive My Car
Taxman

Later Years:
Helter Skelter
A Day in the Life
Let it Be

Pretty much every black metal band. They start off heavy with death growl vocals and then slowly add clean lyrics and go prog rock. Almost without fail.

Some bands/artists have had long carreers while basically sounding more or less the same. Not that they didn't evolve, but they didn't ... change.

Some artists, though, change radically. Like Ulver. And in case of Ulver, they changed from (imo decent, but nothing more) black metal to absolutely GREAT "alternative (synth)pop".

God, I love Ulvers latest album, The Assasination of Julius Caesar. Best album I've heard this year.

So do you have examples of artists changing radically, preferably for the better?

Early Ulver:

Present day Ulver:

I don’t know about radically but Green Day and Offspring were definitely not the same after 1994.

They definitely ate the commercialization cake.

Green Day has tried to distance themselves from the Dookie album which I find ridiculous.

Necro used to rap with a growl. Now he is actually rapping.

Ministry from new-romantic synthpop:

to industrial metal:

I like both incarnations....

Last edited:
Paradise lost: from death/doom to gothic rock. And back.

Style blends perfectly imho, and Medusa is an awesome song.

Primal Scream went from twee c86 indie pop like....

To funky industrial freakouts like...

Talk Talk went from synth pop....

To minimalist jazzy post rock....

Metallica.
They were there at the start, a seminal speed metal thrash band.
It was working well, until the infamous Black album. The production was junk, they'd cut their hair and gotten facial piercings (and would take publicity photos with eyeliner. Metallica, with eyeliner. Ffs).
The lyrical ideas were dead.
There's a scene in Some Kind of Monster where they're sitting around brainstorming lyrics.
One of them suggests, "Your lifestyle becomes your death style" and the others are very enthusiastic about how cool it is.
In high school, yes, those are badass lyrics.
It couldn't last forever, but it sucks how hard some things crash

Back