Bands or Artists that are underrated (hidden gems)

This might be interesting for me since I've always held ill will towards Metallica. Maybe because my local rock station as a kid would play the same 2 songs of theirs non stop made me dislike them.

And yes an underrated album certainly is also something I'm looking for.

Same here. I loved early Metallica, but in the 1990s I just followed the crowd where everyone said they sold out and changed their sound for the masses. I've since revisited their catalogue and really enjoy most of it now. There are clearly defined eras, but they seemed open to experimentation over the years, and I don't believe they were trying to alter their sound to sell more records.

I have the same feelings towards Green Day. I think they received a lot of hate from the punk community over "selling out" . Their music sounds the same as it did 20 years ago and they still put on a hell of a show.

The Builders and the Butchers are a perfect mention for this thread..

Flogging Molly kicks ass and even more so live.

I know within their niche genre they are well known, but outside of the "Celtic punk" scene you never hear about them. Everyone just knows about Dropkick Murphy's and "I'm Shipping up to Boston". Which I enjoy them both..and saw them co-headline together last night. I started a Dropkick fan , but over time I've come to enjoy Flogging Molly more.

Jack White made himself a nice litle gothic girl band. Sadly nobody cared.

[/QUOTE]

Can’t decide whether I like this or if I’m just blinded by the Gretsch that the singer is playing. That’s a beautiful guitar...

La Dussledorf don't seem to be remembered much when Krautrock is talked about...

Silverchair, hugely known here in Australia! Where are you from, my man?

They were big in the USA in the 90's grunge era but after that they lost all their popularity but their albums kept getting better and better IMO, Daniel Johns is a really underrated talent.

Midlake
Minus the Bear
Small Black
Pinegrove
Matt Pond PA
Geographer
STRFKR
The Velvet Teen
The World is a Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid to Die
The Frames
The War on Drugs
Tame Impala
Car Seat Headrest

They were big in the USA in the 90's grunge era but after that they lost all their popularity but their albums kept getting better and better IMO, Daniel Johns is a really underrated talent.
Me and my friends love Diorama the most.. :D

It has to be CAKE for me. I don't know anyone who likes these guys, but they make a lot of good music aside from their "I will survive" cover:

LOVE YOU MADLY:

THE DISTANCE:

SHORT SKIRT LONG JACKET:

MUSTACHE MAN:

NEVER THERE:

They also have a cool War Pigs cover

Back