Bands focused on riffs that are heavy and catchy as hell

anyway just listen to Mercyful Fate's first two LPs and youll be on your way

Bumping my own thread with:

Ahab - http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ahab/35791

I've been listening to this band before, but since they had an album last year I started listening to them a lot lately. They are a doom metal band from Germany that uses concepts from books about the ocean, whaling and all that jazz. Their name is taken from Moby Dick. I'll go into more detail about their albums.

2006 - The Call of the Wretched Sea

114541.jpg

The album's concept is based on the book Moby Dick by Herman Melville. It's an absolute masterpiece of funeral doom - this album is actually the reason to post the band in this topic. Some evil atmosphere and the riffs are beyond heavy and crushing.

2009 - The Divinity of Oceans

231990.jpg

Conceptually, it pretty much follows the first album I think, from what I've read might be based on other two lesser known books about whaling that influenced Moby Dick. But anyway, musically this album is still the heavy doom from the first album, but not as gloomy and it's kinda a connecting bridge for the next album in which come bigger changes in the sound.

2012 - The Giant

335589.jpg

The concept of the album is based on Edgar Allan Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket. Even from the cover art you can guess they are getting into a different direction with this album. Of course, the trademark heavy doom Ahab sound is still here, but they experiment a lot more with atmospheric post-rock kind of melodies instead of the funreal doom sound from the previous albums. Plus, the clean vocals are more prevalent.

2015 - The Boats of the Glen Carrig

513667.jpg

Maaan, I love the artwork for this albums, dem colors. This album's concept is based on William Hope Hodgson's novel The Boats of the "Glen Carrig". They pretty much expand their sound from where they started with The Giant. This album kicks serious ass and they are at their A game here. Actually, all of their albums are strong and I can't wait for the next one.

Saint Vitus my friend. One of the pioneers of Doom Metal and cited as one of the most influential bands to the Stoner Doom genre.

Buzz man fucking love his playing style and The Melvins are such a killer fucking heavy band. Love the way they create and implement their riffing

And finally the stoner rock God's Kyuss out of the Palm Desert in California. Well known for their generator parties where they plugged their equipment into generators way out on the Palm Desert and would play for crowds, this came to be known as the Palm Desert scene with them and other bands. Enough that I just have to say Gardenia is amazing and the whole Welcome To Sky Valley album is worth the purchase, a quintessential album if you are a fan of both quality riff based metal and also a fan of the slower stoner/doomy type of metal and rock

Here's a couple Thrash Metal songs that I find pretty catchy. I always air guitar to these songs and many others out there. :p

alot of my favs already posted...but wtf guys, way to let the team down

gee guess who one of my favorite guitarists is

alot of my favs already posted...but wtf guys, way to let the team down

gee guess who one of my favorite guitarists is

Damn, thanks for the contribution, really missed on that one. It's not on the topic, but I recommend the band Om with Al Cisneros (bass player and vocalist of Sleep). Their sound is more experimental - focusing on just bass and drums. Their last album Advaitic Songs had a lot of other instruments like tambura, violins, flutes and others as well.

His solo stuff is neat too.

Damn, thanks for the contribution, really missed on that one. It's not on the topic, but I recommend the band Om with Al Cisneros (bass player and vocalist of Sleep). Their sound is more experimental - focusing on just bass and drums. Their last album Advaitic Songs had a lot of other instruments like tambura, violins, flutes and others as well.

His solo stuff is neat too.

desperate to see OM Live, have seen Sleep twice now, once where they played most of Dopesmoker and one where they played a mix of everything

SO FUCKING GOOD LIVE

I was only kinda into doom/sludge/whatever stuff, then within a month saw both Sleep and The Melvins live

LIFE CHANGING. Serious.

A hell of a lot of Devin Townsend songs are like that.

New Crowbar album came out called The Serpent Only Lies:

Practicing their badassery as usual.

I wish more people had the courtesy to use spoiler tags for these music video threads. I really like these threads, but I usually avoid them, because it ends up being a bunch of butt-holes spamming videos without using spoiler tags. It makes the pages take forever to load and tends to lock up my browser.

I wish more people had the courtesy to use spoiler tags for these music video threads. I really like these threads, but I usually avoid them, because it ends up being a bunch of butt-holes spamming videos without using spoiler tags. It makes the pages take forever to load and tends to lock up my browser.
I know what you mean. For some reason though, if you post no more than 2 video's per post, the pages seem to load ok. So if you have like 6 video's you want to share, break it up into 3 separate posts.

Back