BAMMA 31 VS Cage Warriors 86 (Battle for London)

I've only been able to catch these last 4 on the main card. Lapilus and Jones had terrible striking defence. Something really awkward and sloppy about their movement. Lapilus had a killer body kick though and some beautiful judo from Jones. Liking the looks of Crawford. Didn't see too much from Lahore as I feel it was a story of Jones strengths and weaknesses on display. Shipman was pretty terrible but lmfao fair play. Bahati did nothing all fight regardless. Aaron Chalmers, I've been amused by all of this hatred at him being a reality TV guy. Yeah, imagine BAMMA having a reality TV star fighting for them haha. Probably their best fight to date is still Reid Vs Watson. He looked a little wild but cracking knockout, can't knock it.

3 new champs, 4 stoppages. Can't really complain with that eh?

Just to add, why is it a joke that Chalmers fight? That guy was 2-4 as an amateur and making his pro debut? Sure. Chalmers was 0-0 as an amateur and 1-0 as a pro. With literally one fight under his belt, why exactly would you expect him to fight someone of a higher calibre? I'm not sure about his background but I'm not thinking he's some wrestling, jiu jitsu or world champ. Why would he fight a higher calibre?

I've only been able to catch these last 4 on the main card. Lapilus and Jones had terrible striking defence. Something really awkward and sloppy about their movement. Lapilus had a killer body kick though and some beautiful judo from Jones. Liking the looks of Crawford. Didn't see too much from Lahore as I feel it was a story of Jones strengths and weaknesses on display. Shipman was pretty terrible but lmfao fair play. Bahati did nothing all fight regardless. Aaron Chalmers, I've been amused by all of this hatred at him being a reality TV guy. Yeah, imagine BAMMA having a reality TV star fighting for them haha. Probably their best fight to date is still Reid Vs Watson. He looked a little wild but cracking knockout, can't knock it.

3 new champs, 4 stoppages. Can't really complain with that eh?
I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the card. I think Chi Lewis-Parry was supposed to be the big elite fighter on this card but his opponent got injured. I'd check out Tommy King v James Reedman on the prelims too if you want to see a guy who looks promising.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the card. I think Chi Lewis-Parry was supposed to be the big elite fighter on this card but his opponent got injured. I'd check out Tommy King v James Reedman on the prelims too if you want to see a guy who looks promising.

I didn't specifically mean to knock it. One of those "might not be the most technical and impressive but fun as fuck" kind of cards. All 4 stoppages on the main card were great.

Yeah I was looking forward to Lewis Parry. I had a "team" in my sig on another site in I think 2012. McGregor, Lewis Parry, Che Mills, Rustam Khabilov, Michael Page and one or two more. Unfortunately most never amounted to much. Hell one couldn't even win his boxing debut.

I know the prelims always live streams, usually on Londsdale's page if I'm not mistaken. Do you know if they are still accessible?

Just to add, why is it a joke that Chalmers fight? That guy was 2-4 as an amateur and making his pro debut? Sure. Chalmers was 0-0 as an amateur and 1-0 as a pro. With literally one fight under his belt, why exactly would you expect him to fight someone of a higher calibre? I'm not sure about his background but I'm not thinking he's some wrestling, jiu jitsu or world champ. Why would he fight a higher calibre?
It's not unfair to expect him to fight guys that aren't on a 4 fight losing streak, have only won at the weight below, and don't have one of the best camps in the UK behind him like Chalmers does

Maybe fight someone who at least has a similar record to you and is in the same weight class.

I didn't specifically mean to knock it. One of those "might not be the most technical and impressive but fun as fuck" kind of cards. All 4 stoppages on the main card were great.

Yeah I was looking forward to Lewis Parry. I had a "team" in my sig on another site in I think 2012. McGregor, Lewis Parry, Che Mills, Rustam Khabilov, Michael Page and one or two more. Unfortunately most never amounted to much. Hell one couldn't even win his boxing debut.

I know the prelims always live streams, usually on Londsdale's page if I'm not mistaken. Do you know if they are still accessible?
I knew what you meant.

Well maybe you could get some luck with MVP making his boxing debut. Lol.

The prelims were actually streamed on the Unilad Facebook tonight and I'm not sure if they keep the video.

It's not unfair to expect him to fight guys that aren't on a 4 fight losing streak, have only won at the weight below, and don't have one of the best camps in the UK behind him like Chalmers does

Maybe fight someone who at least has a similar record to you and is in the same weight class.

But he's not some big MMA prospect? When they say "hype train", they mean "popular because he's on a TV show". Someone on a 4 fight losing streak has to fight someone. I don't see why it's shocking for it to be someone who's 1-0.

Maybe fight someone who's at least a similar record? It was 0-0 Vs 1-0. I mean, I know you're unhappy but BAMMA was pretty damn close to your requirements in that regard. He might have been small for the weight class or a weight down, but if you're raging at this, I wouldn't advice watching The Ultimate Fighter.

I knew what you meant.

Well maybe you could get some luck with MVP making his boxing debut. Lol.

The prelims were actually streamed on the Unilad Facebook tonight and I'm not sure if they keep the video.

Haha I actually forgot about MVP doing that. I have to say, MVP, as my first "debut prospect" I was a huge fan of...has been a resounding disappointment.

Unilad? They share some funny stuff on FB, let's hope they don't disappoint me!

Yep, it's up on their FB page still. ALthough....it's that or South Park Movie, decisions decisions.

But he's not some big MMA prospect? When they say "hype train", they mean "popular because he's on a TV show". Someone on a 4 fight losing streak has to fight someone. I don't see why it's shocking for it to be someone who's 1-0.

Maybe fight someone who's at least a similar record? It was 0-0 Vs 1-0. I mean, I know you're unhappy but BAMMA was pretty damn close to your requirements in that regard. He might have been small for the weight class or a weight down, but if you're raging at this, I wouldn't advice watching The Ultimate Fighter.
He doesn't have to fight anyone decent i guess but BAMMA are talking about him like he's a big prospect. They asked David Haye about his striking and he starts saying he could have been some great champion if he only started MMA earlier.

Give him someone who was also 1-0 or maybe 2-2. Those would be reasonable records to fight against. If you can't handle a possible defeat and have to stack the odds in your favour that much then i don't find that respectable in the least.

TUF is a tournament where fighters have to do multiple weight cuts weeks apart. That's a totally different scenario.

He doesn't have to fight anyone decent i guess but BAMMA are talking about him like he's a big prospect. They asked David Haye about his striking and he starts saying he could have been some great champion if he only started MMA earlier.

Give him someone who was also 1-0 or maybe 2-2. Those would be reasonable records to fight against. If you can't handle a possible defeat and have to stack the odds in your favour that much then i don't find that respectable in the least.

TUF is a tournament where fighters have to do multiple weight cuts weeks apart. That's a totally different scenario.

If you forget the talk and celeb popularity, the lads 1 and 0. If you focus on "he might do this or that" itll give you a chip on your shoulder but the main event originally for this card was muuuuuuch more of a record, and combat, mismatch. Now that he dominated, aye maybe give him the guy who stopped Martin Hudson

The Chalmers fight was a mismatch. I really don't see how it's a good idea to let someone on a 4 fight losing streak (who's been stopped 3/4 of those times including being KO'd in 8 seconds) make their pro debut in a relatively high profile fight against someone from one of the UK's best gyms. Fair play for him for taking the fight but was he ready to turn pro?

If you forget the talk and celeb popularity, the lads 1 and 0. If you focus on "he might do this or that" itll give you a chip on your shoulder but the main event originally for this card was muuuuuuch more of a record, and combat, mismatch. Now that he dominated, aye maybe give him the guy who stopped Martin Hudson
I agree the main event was a big mismatch but according to Lewis-Parry he tried to get Brett McDermott to fight him but McDermott didn't want the fight.

The Chalmers fight was a mismatch. I really don't see how it's a good idea to let someone on a 4 fight losing streak (who's been stopped 3/4 of those times including being KO'd in 8 seconds) make their pro debut in a relatively high profile fight against someone from one of the UK's best gyms. Fair play for him for taking the fight but was he ready to turn pro?
The guy definitely had no business turning pro when he was on a 4 fight losing streak, got finished in the first round in 3 of them, and 1 was an 8 second KO.

I ended up missing most of the fights had to nip back out. Managed to catch a couple of the knockouts.

Defo seems worth spending some more time watching though.

Gonna try and get more upto speed with the local british mma scene.

Glad that it looks like there is gonna be decent coverage of both bamma and cage warriors.

Just got back from Wembley, cracking night of fights. Crawford looked like the guy with the most potential.

Lahore vs Jones was an epic fight.

Just got back from Wembley, cracking night of fights. Crawford looked like the guy with the most potential.

Lahore vs Jones was an epic fight.
Definitely jealous that you got to watch that one live. The last one i went to was BAMMA 29.

I think it's just down to how you guys are viewing it. I don't view him as some big prospect with great skills, regardless of the gym. If we're saying "someone with an extremely basic record, training out of a big gym" then you could easily say that CM Punk Vs Alex Thompson would have been a MUCH bigger mismatch considering that Roufusport will rank above any UK gym.

He passed the test of being capable of beating fellow rookies to the sport. I ranked him the same level as someone like Thompson before the fight. Now I rank him a little bit higher. Now I'd like to see him fight someone with a winning record at the lower level, like 3-2 or something, to see how he fights someone who knows how to win. If he got through that easily again, maybe someone with a bad record but good experience, like 7-10 or something.

I think there's a fair way to develop people you want to develop without having to put them out against guys that are expected to beat them. In the early stages only, like until someone gets to like 5-0 I don't mind them getting intelligent fights to put stress on certain factors of their early game. When they reach that level however, then it's 50/50 fights from then on, which really is the heart of mixed martial arts.

I think it's just down to how you guys are viewing it. I don't view him as some big prospect with great skills, regardless of the gym. If we're saying "someone with an extremely basic record, training out of a big gym" then you could easily say that CM Punk Vs Alex Thompson would have been a MUCH bigger mismatch considering that Roufusport will rank above any UK gym.

He passed the test of being capable of beating fellow rookies to the sport. I ranked him the same level as someone like Thompson before the fight. Now I rank him a little bit higher. Now I'd like to see him fight someone with a winning record at the lower level, like 3-2 or something, to see how he fights someone who knows how to win. If he got through that easily again, maybe someone with a bad record but good experience, like 7-10 or something.

I think there's a fair way to develop people you want to develop without having to put them out against guys that are expected to beat them. In the early stages only, like until someone gets to like 5-0 I don't mind them getting intelligent fights to put stress on certain factors of their early game. When they reach that level however, then it's 50/50 fights from then on, which really is the heart of mixed martial arts.

I agree with what you're saying but I think it's pretty clear they're protecting Chalmers not simply testing him against fellow rookies. I think Thompson is a step down from his last opponent who had a decent thai boxing record although was lacking on the ground. His last opponent looked in better shape too despite him usually fighting at a lower weight.

Like it's already been said Thompson has never won at welterweight so by picking someone who's lost their last 4 fights both by KO and submission and is small for the weight they're doing most of what they can to ensure a win. I don't think Chalmers is a prospect but he's someone who can afford to have the best training and apparently has prior kickboxing experience so he could probably fight at a higher level than a total newbie.

It's not surprising though the fight got into national news because of who Chalmers is, he's a decent cash cow for BAMMA.

Back