Baltimore Officer Praised for Talking Down Potential Suicide by Cop

In my hometown they would have shot him in the abdomen, then with beanbags once he's on the ground and no longer a threat, then they'd let the dogs chew on him while he bleeds to death.

so you want slower response time and less cops on the street?

you do know that every police agency in united states is hurting for recruits even though their hirimg standards are no where near as crazy as you are asking, right?

once again, that does not change the standards of the job.

Agreed, but I don't think anyone had really made that argument when you posted. I certainly didn't intend to.

I was only speaking for this situation, which,from the little I know of policing, is surprisingly common.

But your post makes it sound like the guy was really dangerous and I'm not sure where you're getting that idea. From the very beginning of the video, he is asking the cops to kill him and sounds frustrated and desperate, not violent or even drugged up or anything. This is like seeing a video of a cop pulling some kid out of a well and saying, "Yeah, well some kids are pretty unpredictable. He maybe could've pulled the rope and brought the cop down into the well and drowned him, so we can't use this for saving future kids from wells. Every situation is different."

You're not wrong, it's just a strange reaction, imo.

Maybe I wasn't making an "argument", had you ever considered that? Just giving my thoughts on this video, and how it may relate to other similar situations. Feel free to break down this post word by word if you want though.

1) You are obviously on a new account because you got banned recently.

2) You have dubs already.

I never claimed to be an intellectual - yet here I am. You are on your way out. Who is the dullard again?

1. Negative
2. Yep - and ? You clearly have quite a bit of emotional stock in Sherdog. I don't. Passes the time.

Been around off and on here since 2003. Not that it's relevant. I'm quite familiar with your infantile aversion to police.

so you want slower response time and less cops on the street?

you do know that every police agency in united states is hurting for recruits even though their hiring standards are no where near as crazy as you are asking, right?

Most people really are clueless regarding this.

Their logic = constantly bash police, armchair qb every decision, impose unrealistic demands, offer typically lousy pay, riot, taunt, escalate, don't offer to help or pay for needed training, etc... Then shriek and bitch when decent people opt out or standards are lowered out of necessity. Truly brilliant logic.

They'd much rather hold onto their sanctimonious stance than actually help.

giphy.gif

bean bag.....

This could be the product of an officer with outstanding capacity for empathy.

But more likely it's the product of this officer being properly trained with mental illness intervention. It's inexcusable that only a few officers on any given force are trained to deal with persons with cognitive or behavioral issues.

Weird day that I agree with a post you make, but I can cheers to this

Hopefully more are given this type of training in light of everything going on

Trained in mixed martial art, sniper shooting ability, animal control expert, and an MBA/PhD in psychology?Not to mention a clean background, no drugs issue, no bad credit history, etc.

Where the hell do you find someone like that to be a cop to start out at $60k/year?

Someone with this kind of credentials go straight to top tier law enforcement Iike FBI, not a local popo

I caught an injured owl once...

The man identified himself as a dead man. Who are cops to deny him his reality?

#deadlivesmatter

Praised for doing his fucking job...

Well shit, by that logic I should have gotten a bronze star for showing up to formation 15 minutes early everyday.

That was a little beyond the average day in law enforcement. That’s not being praised for answering calls, completing accident reports, taking theft reports, domestic violence calls. He prevented a suicide and put himself at risk to do so. He did a damn fine job.

you can train cops on mental health intervention all you want, but we all know that is a temporary bandaid on a real issue.

for example, I arrested this mentally ill transient 5 different times in 2016 for different charges ranging from pissing in public to assault. I put his name on a waiting list (yes, waiting list) for a local nut house so he can get some real help. In the mean time he is back on the street doing whatever he was doing. I'm afraid one day he will get shot by a cop if he violently attacks one of us or someone else.

so is it cop's fault because OUR society fails to take care of our mentally ill citizens?

This is 100% correct, people do not realize how many mentally ill people are in the world and live among them. The mentally ill consume a huge majority of police resources because society doesn't want to deal with the issue.

I like how people in this thread have no idea how many interactions their are between suicidal people or mentally ill people and police officers in which no violence occurs. The sheep that only form their points of view from social media stories about police especially do not understand.

How dare the police be held to a high standard!!!

Seriously, the mentally ill make up a disproportionate amount of people in jail and suicides. At least in a big city police shoul be trained to deal with them.

Do you think there is some special secret technique in dealing with mentally ill people? Ill clue you in there isn't. You talk to them like you would any other person and treat them the same. Sometimes its helpful to talk slower or in a quieter tone but the basic rules of human interaction still apply.

This could be the product of an officer with outstanding capacity for empathy.

But more likely it's the product of this officer being properly trained with mental illness intervention. It's inexcusable that only a few officers on any given force are trained to deal with persons with cognitive or behavioral issues.

Additional training is great and always welcome but you do realize that officers deal with mentally ill persons constantly and the basic rules of communication apply. There is no secret training, there are some things you can do to help the dialogue but its just like talking to anyone else during their shift.

nowadays an average street cop has to be a trained martial artist, trained sniper, psychologist, and animal control expert

anything less than that is unacceptable.
As if what this cop did requires all that much training. Just takes some empathy and the kind of skills you could learn in a seminar.

Back