bali MMA or AKA Thailand for year

MatRat75

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
whats up guys so I'm thinking about doing a year of training at either bali MMA or AKA Thailand (or 6 months at each).
does anyone have any experience with this - mainly visa requirements for such a long period (Canadian)
not really looking for other gyms to train at and I know theres better gyms for bjj but I really want to live in asia and am open to opinions but $$$ is one of the reasons

When I think of high-level BJJ, Indonesia is at the top of the list.

When I think of high-level BJJ, Indonesia is at the top of the list.
I sense sarcasm lol, however ive heard good things about Bali MMA's program - I also have wanted to live there for a while to surf have other reasons.
Do you have any suggestions?

I sense sarcasm lol, however ive heard good things about Bali MMA's program - I also have wanted to live there for a while to surf have other reasons.
Do you have any suggestions?

If you're going to be in that area, why BJJ and not Muay Thai? If you don't like striking I get it, but man, to be that close to the best kick boxers in the world and not train with them would be tough.

Generally speaking you might want to post this in the standup forum, there are a lot more people there who have traveled to SE Asia to train and you'd be more likely to hear some firsthand experience with either of those gyms.

If you're going to be in that area, why BJJ and not Muay Thai? If you don't like striking I get it, but man, to be that close to the best kick boxers in the world and not train with them would be tough.

Generally speaking you might want to post this in the standup forum, there are a lot more people there who have traveled to SE Asia to train and you'd be more likely to hear some firsthand experience with either of those gyms.

thanks brother - ill be doing MT as well but BJJ is going to be my focus

Phuket top team has a really good grappling program with bjj and wrestling.

Phuket top team has a really good grappling program with bjj and wrestling.
Is that the gym that tons of UFC guys gave spent time at over the years? It seemed for a while there was constantly a few high profile guys there and they'd also do seminars. Phil Baroni has done a bunch of wrestling and MMA seminars and camps there. Or is it Fairtex I'm thinking of? Or Tiger MT?

Is that the gym that tons of UFC guys gave spent time at over the years? It seemed for a while there was constantly a few high profile guys there and they'd also do seminars. Phil Baroni has done a bunch of wrestling and MMA seminars and camps there. Or is it Fairtex I'm thinking of? Or Tiger MT?
That sounds right. Tiger muay thai is really popular as well. They are on the same street. I trained at tiger for three months. I wish i had trained at phuket top team but i purchased my tiger training before getting there. Tiger is really packed though so you get more attention from trainers at phuket top team. Check out the “phuket dreaming” youtube series to get an idea of what its like there.

Go to bali! That way you can surf your balls off and practice your bjj on mouthy Australians.

I know theres better gyms for bjj but I really want to live in asia...I also have...other reasons.

hansen_story_2.jpg

Last edited:
whats up guys so I'm thinking about doing a year of training at either bali MMA or AKA Thailand (or 6 months at each).
does anyone have any experience with this - mainly visa requirements for such a long period (Canadian)
not really looking for other gyms to train at and I know theres better gyms for bjj but I really want to live in asia and am open to opinions but $$$ is one of the reasons

Bali MMA is a brilliant gym for BJJ. It's run by the Leone Brothers, Don Carlo Claus and Joao Paulo for the BJJ. These guys ran Phuket Top Team and Tiger Muay thai's wrestling,mma and BJJ programs before moving to Indonesia a few years ago.

I trained there November last year for a month and was training 2x a day.The morning Gi/No Gi and midday MMA classes usually have your higher level guys training and the evening class is more for beginners and locals. I had a few evening classes which basically turned in privates with Joao. All people there offer excellent instruction and will look after you in every way possible. I don't have a bad thing to say about the gym to be honest and they are attracting more high profile fighters everyday. it cost me $2500 (Aud) for the month and I was living it up and eating out for every meal.

Being Indonesia, if you are a super heavyweight you might struggle for training partners, but if you are on the smaller side you will absolutely thrive there. Alistair Overeem just did a seminar there before the monthly fight night they also run.

They are 15min from the beach,there is a crossfit opposite and food places directly opposite(within 50m). if you stay near the beach you will have no issues getting around on a scooter and will absolutely love it.

I believe you have to do visa runs every 3 months, but the gym will hook you up with all that info and you basically pay someone $100 odd dollars and it's all sorted for you.

No clue on AKA thailand, but I actually have not heard a single good thing about it yet. I chose Bali MMA for my trip because of this.
Apparently it is ok, but only when Mike Swick is there to stop people being lazy.

AKA

Not a huge fan of their athlete roster but goddamned fantastic training regiments and techniques

thanks for all the feedback guys - really weighing out options.
looking into ATOS HQ as well now but rent in SD is just ridiculous

thanks for all the feedback guys - really weighing out options.
looking into ATOS HQ as well now but rent in SD is just ridiculous

What belt are you mate and what are your goals from BJJ?
If you are a white to blue (under 3 years BJJ) chill out and hit up a training trip for a month and see how you like it.

You want to train on the cheap and enjoy life hit up Bali MMA or Phuket Topteam. Multiple coloured belts on the mat and high level BJJ/MMA fighters.

You want to be Gordon Ryan or similar then go to ATOS/Renzo's/AOJ or whoever.

ATOS or most of those gyms does not fit with your original post.

Did a couple of weeks training at Bali MMA last year. It was really good. Good coaching, good amount of people on the mats. Never got used to the humidity though!

What belt are you mate and what are your goals from BJJ?
If you are a white to blue (under 3 years BJJ) chill out and hit up a training trip for a month and see how you like it.

You want to train on the cheap and enjoy life hit up Bali MMA or Phuket Topteam. Multiple coloured belts on the mat and high level BJJ/MMA fighters.

You want to be Gordon Ryan or similar then go to ATOS/Renzo's/AOJ or whoever.

ATOS or most of those gyms does not fit with your original post.

I'm just a bit over the 3 year mark brother, still a lot to sort out but I always ruled out SD because of cost. I believe I can do it on a budget but like I need to see if it lines up with what I want

I'm just a bit over the 3 year mark brother, still a lot to sort out but I always ruled out SD because of cost. I believe I can do it on a budget but like I need to see if it lines up with what I want

Go to Bali. The Bjj level there is perfect for your experience. They have a good mix of quality MMA fighters, competitive grapplers and tourists of various belts.
It is cheap as shit there and you can actually have a life and live it up a bit on a budget. You cook some meals or eat like a local it will be even cheaper.

You could train 6x a week and go hit up the local spots in the evening and have a bit of a social life. There are plenty of people in a similar situation rolling through and you would meet a heap of people.

Alternatively go to ATOS which means you are on a strict budget, have arguably better BJJ level, but now you are living in a shoe box eating rice and tuna.

Bali is a garbage destination covered in complete cockheads and not a great place to holiday. I'd tell you to go to Thailand before you bothered going to Bali. Bali was once good and is now ruined by obnoxious Australians on holiday and police corruption.

Back