Bagwork video for feedback

Inquisitus

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
In the spirit of the training vids here, here's the latest of mine. Pls provide feedback. My background is kickboxing if it's not obvious from the clips.

Double jabs are nice.

Make your hooks follow through more, right now its just ending at the bag.

On the body cross, change levels, throwing it from normal position will compromise range, and you're going to get tagged while going for it.

Hit the bag like it's a person. Bags don't hit back. So fight it as if you're fighting someone.

Do you really stand so close to your opponent? Your jab is not even extended fully.

So to make it more realistic. I want you to stand further back. Throw whatever from there. Jab or whatever but make sure you're connecting at the end of your jab. Meaning fully extended and barely touching the bag. This is the outside, learn your range. Fight on the outside for a bit.

Then Jab your way in. Once you're on the inside, they can hit back so you better work. Body, head, hooks, uppercuts, everything. Don't stop in the middle, keep your guard up. Work, then bounce back to the outside SAFELY. Safely meaning in a way that they can't hit you back; so either pushing them before bouncing back or at the end a combo and strafing backwards, etc. Then continue to pick your shots from the OUTSIDE.

I only skimmed through the vids but I'd like to see some defense. Move around, don't stand in the same spot. You don't fight standing still, so don't work the bag standing still. Move left to right, right to left. In and out. Keep your guard up, shadow defend while picking shots. Jab, slip, counter hook.

Working the bag is same as shadow boxing but with an actual target to hit. Bag work is not good for beginners because it creates bad habits. Shadowbox in front of a mirror first working on both offense and defense. Then use those on the bag.

Double jabs are nice.

Make your hooks follow through more, right now its just ending at the bag.

On the body cross, change levels, throwing it from normal position will compromise range, and you're going to get tagged while going for it.

Thank you. I have a bad habit of punching downwards for body shots.

Looks pretty good! You got a bit of that GGG/Provodnikov thing going on. What's your style, are you are pressure fighter?

@j123 was pretty accurate. Level change on the body shot straight and perhaps a litte more hip turn into your lead hook. It looks a bit slappy, but even as it is now, it looks like it has a pretty good trajectory. You don't always have to turn over, but it is definitely something that you need in your toolbox. You are standing in front of the bag and not really practicing angles, but if you drill that elsewhere then that can be fine. Depends on the purpose of the session really.

Thanks for posting!

Good on ya for sharing! Good work rate too, could even hear you getting out of breath towards the end! Really good advice has been posted already, just keep it up the hard work!

Hit the bag like it's a person. Bags don't hit back. So fight it as if you're fighting someone.

Do you really stand so close to your opponent? Your jab is not even extended fully.

So to make it more realistic. I want you to stand further back. Throw whatever from there. Jab or whatever but make sure you're connecting at the end of your jab. Meaning fully extended and barely touching the bag. This is the outside, learn your range. Fight on the outside for a bit.

Then Jab your way in. Once you're on the inside, they can hit back so you better work. Body, head, hooks, uppercuts, everything. Don't stop in the middle, keep your guard up. Work, then bounce back to the outside SAFELY. Safely meaning in a way that they can't hit you back; so either pushing them before bouncing back or at the end a combo and strafing backwards, etc. Then continue to pick your shots from the OUTSIDE.

I only skimmed through the vids but I'd like to see some defense. Move around, don't stand in the same spot. You don't fight standing still, so don't work the bag standing still. Move left to right, right to left. In and out. Keep your guard up, shadow defend while picking shots. Jab, slip, counter hook.

Working the bag is same as shadow boxing but with an actual target to hit. Bag work is not good for beginners because it creates bad habits. Shadowbox in front of a mirror first working on both offense and defense. Then use those on the bag.

Thank you. It was a bit difficult to angle off due to the feet of the stand. Got your points about defense and standing off at range. I did feel i crowded the bag, engaged at closer than I should, and stood in front.

Looks pretty good! You got a bit of that GGG/Provodnikov thing going on. What's your style, are you are pressure fighter?

@j123 was pretty accurate. Level change on the body shot straight and perhaps a litte more hip turn into your lead hook. It looks a bit slappy, but even as it is now, it looks like it has a pretty good trajectory. You don't always have to turn over, but it is definitely something that you need in your toolbox. You are standing in front of the bag and not really practicing angles, but if you drill that elsewhere then that can be fine. Depends on the purpose of the session really.

Thanks for posting!

I'm generally a counter/passive fighter but I do like to force and then time a response.

If i had a purpose for this session (which i didn't really), it was to work on power while maintaining form. In shadow boxing and pads, i try to angle out, push the pad holder, or draw back ready to counter/block. I'm starting to realize that i crowd the target especially as i prefer to kick.

Thank you for providing feedback.

I'm generally a counter/passive fighter but I do like to force and then time a response.

If i had a purpose for this session (which i didn't really), it was to work on power while maintaining form. In shadow boxing and pads, i try to angle out, push the pad holder, or draw back ready to counter/block. I'm starting to realize that i crowd the target especially as i prefer to kick.

Thank you for providing feedback.
Interesting, I would have never guessed from this vid. Keep up the good work and do post more vids if you want to down the line!

Back