Bagwork critique, and more (+padwork and light sparring)

Pretty good, foot work good but your head is too much out and vulnerable, imo

Keep going with the double end bag, after a while you'll get the timing of it and you'll be landing combos on it. It just takes time to get decent at it.

Just a few vids from today. Felt a little sluggish as I've been under the weather these last few days:

Shadow:

Slip bag:

Bagwork:

Amazing camera work with being out of the frame and too close and all lol.

Trying to stand a little less tall and tuck the chin a little more. I am experimenting with going southpaw during a few combinations and something else I forgot, which is keeping my rear foot pointed more forward which actually helps me a lot with putting some weight on it and being more balanced. Plus it helps me move to my right more. It's something new so I guess when I got a camera on me I forgot.

Padwork vid I'll post some time next month.

3rd video gives proof that @Sano skips leg days!

I feel on your straights, you could still use more reach, its not that jammed, but still not at the end of your reach. There's a few times when after you pivot out and throw a cross you're a bit leaned back and not based out. I get the feel you want to make that a heavy strike, so you should plant on those ones.

On the shadow box vid around the 2:00 mark, you're jabbing a bit upwards and your chin is trailing up slightly because of it. Are expecting to spar/fight against taller opponents?

3rd video gives proof that @Sano skips leg days!

I feel on your straights, you could still use more reach, its not that jammed, but still not at the end of your reach. There's a few times when after you pivot out and throw a cross you're a bit leaned back and not based out. I get the feel you want to make that a heavy strike, so you should plant on those ones.

On the shadow box vid around the 2:00 mark, you're jabbing a bit upwards and your chin is trailing up slightly because of it. Are expecting to spar/fight against taller opponents?
Man you work fast.

Yeah I use my straight mostly as a throwaway punch to set up my hooks or take an angle primarily. I don't know why I do that. I think it all ties into my foot positioning as well and the fact that the left hook to the liver is my best punch no doubt. It's something I have to consciously work on. I'll make a mental note of it, and it ties into the thing I talked about with pointing my rear foot a little more forward, having more weight on my rear leg and moving to the right more.

Nah, don't know exactly why I am jabbing upwards like that. Or rather, it's because it's supposed to be a spearing upward jab from a lowered position, I just wasn't low enough. Didn't have much energy today, but that's an excuse.

Oh btw, brah, I squatted today sooo. I can't help that I have naturally slender and athletic legs.

Sparring. Accumulation of hard sparring sessions over the years and just very rough sessions. !

Man, so sorry to hear that. What was the arrangement like before hand. Was it agreed upon to go semi contact, 70%, or something else before sparring this dude? I'm not happy to read this being very inclined to try out a boxing gym.

Man, so sorry to hear that. What was the arrangement like before hand. Was it agreed upon to go semi contact, 70%, or something else before sparring this dude? I'm not happy to read this being very inclined to try out a boxing gym.
Most of it was at an MMA gym. I mean, I just always found myself in sparring wars. Problem was I didn't have the skill to not get socked in the face, and I sparred guys I had no business sparring really. I kinda liked slugging though, never touched the floor, but what good does that do me now?

If you want to start, just make sure you get the tools and don't try to be a tough guy. Learn the craft, don't get into needlessly hard sparring and gradually work up to it. You need to know what it feels like being hit in the face, and you will, but learn to defend and protect.

If you want to start, just make sure you get the tools and don't try to be a tough guy. Learn the craft, don't get into needlessly hard sparring and gradually work up to it. You need to know what it feels like being hit in the face, and you will, but learn to defend and protect.
But bruh, you need to be a warrior

Reported.

163.gif

Finally got some money together and had another private session yesterday. The guy is a monster himself, and a surprisingly good teacher. I'll hopefully be having a private once a week.

Got some of it recorded before my phone went out. Nothing fancy, just working on the small things and getting a feel for where I am at. Also, I can't go all out with my eyes yet (doing the reactionary drills makes me feel dizzy and so on), but we're working on it. I need to correct all my bad habits anyway, so it's good. I'll keep practicing, got a lot to work with from yesterdays session. I'll post another vid down the road when I've improved a little.

We worked on: Getting length on the jab, feinting more with the jab, using smaller movements, less tells and more rhythm, punching the right hand straight out and back and not losing balance, angling hop step (which I suck at), being more deliberate with where I am moving (as in not putting myself into corners) and reactionary drills of different sorts.

Jab
Cross

Reactionary drills + slipping/rolling

This is just me struggling to get it. I did get it a little bit after a few more tries, but the phone had turned off at that point. Really I just wanted to show how well he does it and you can imagine the power on his punch lol.

Anyway, it was great! Lots of things to improve and work on.

Last edited:
Finally got some money together and had another private session yesterday

Obligatory, you sound poor

Jab looks nice, good speed and you're tight. A bit stiff though, but I'm sure in the future you'll be able to be more "loose". On the burnouts (2nd vid), usually we do it but using our full reach.

I'm not sure what it is, but something about your stance still feels a bit flimsy for me. I'm watching from the 2nd vid midway through. Its okay to be upright, but you should still be firm and rooted. It looks like if someone was really pressing forward you might not have a solid base and could lose balance if you were to backstep. If your trainer is fine with it then, its good. It could be the angle of the vid who knows.

Are you looking to just compete in boxing in the future (once upstairs gets better)? Its been awhile since I've seen any MT/KB stuff from you, just boxing so far.

Obligatory, you sound poor

Jab looks nice, good speed and you're tight. A bit stiff though, but I'm sure in the future you'll be able to be more "loose". On the burnouts (2nd vid), usually we do it but using our full reach.

I'm not sure what it is, but something about your stance still feels a bit flimsy for me. I'm watching from the 2nd vid midway through. Its okay to be upright, but you should still be firm and rooted. It looks like if someone was really pressing forward you might not have a solid base and could lose balance if you were to backstep. If your trainer is fine with it then, its good. It could be the angle of the vid who knows.

Are you looking to just compete in boxing in the future (once upstairs gets better)? Its been awhile since I've seen any MT/KB stuff from you, just boxing so far.
I am poor, I'm a student.

Yeah I'm not too worried about loosening up, because I feel like it'll get there.

I am with you on the stance thing. I don't know what it is exactly, I think my center of gravity is just high. Broad shoulders, long legs, skinny calves, poor hip mobility. It has something to do with my footwork as well, but I can't entirely pinpoint it. I've always been pretty easy to push when I'm standing too straight, but my reactionary balance used to be good as a way to compensate for it I guess. I was very good in scrambles when I was younger.

I feel like using less unnecesssary tip toeing footwork, keeping my feet more in stance, making is less narrow and lowering my elevation like I do a few times in the jab cross video when I get my rhythm going might help alleviate it somewhat. I'm much better at jumping in and out though, but I need to learn to root better.

Not sure about fighting. I mean, I would love to have a boxing (or even MT/KB) match yes, but it all depends on the head. I'm not sure I really want to risk it even if it gets better, we'll see. I love to hit and get hit you know that, but at some point it's the dome telling you you're done with that shit.

About MT, I really like that too but I'm mainly focusing on boxing yes. I do play around with some stuff though, and when I have dealt a little more with the shortcomings in my boxing I will definitely start to do more MT!

Last edited:
I really appreciate his thoughtful and purpose driven approach to mitt work

I am poor, I'm a student.
Yeah I'm not too worried about loosening up, because I feel like it'll get there.

I am with you on the stance thing. I don't know what it is exactly, I think my center of gravity is just high. Broad shoulders, long legs, skinny calves, poor hip mobility. It has something to do with my footwork as well, but I can't entirely pinpoint it. I've always been pretty easy to push when I'm standing too straight, but my reactionary balance used to be good as a way to compensate for it I guess. I was very good in scrambles when I was younger.

I feel like using less unnecesssary tip toeing footwork, keeping my feet more in stance, making is less narrow and lowering my elevation like I do a few times in the jab cross video when I get my rhythm going might help alleviate it somewhat. I'm much better at jumping in and out though, but I need to learn to root better.
You could try standing a bit more forward, keep the weight distribution 50-50. I think its your range is longer than you may think it is. If at the end of the strike you're still leaning back, I think you have alot more you can still use.

Not sure about fighting. I mean, I would love to have a boxing (or even MT/KB) match yes, but it all depends on the head. I'm not sure I really want to risk it even if it gets better, we'll see. I love to hit and get hit you know that, but at some point it's the dome telling you you're done with that shit.

About MT, I really like that too but I'm mainly focusing on boxing yes. I do play around with some stuff though, and when I have dealt a little more with the shortcomings in my boxing I will definitely start to do more MT!
Looks like you're having fun with it and not in a rush for anything, so its good.

I like your cross better then the jab.

I like your basics a lot. Guards up, jab and cross and speed are good. Stance is a bit tall, but it not something bad, having in mind you are tall too. I have been told to stay tall from one coach, to lower down from another, so it seems a bit coach preferential.

However the last video shows what exactly is wrong. It is footwork, slips and balance issues mainly. When you need to stand tall and fight - you look very good, but when you need to do slips or use your body in a way in which you are not tall you start looking clumsy. I am not sure on what to advice. But try applying more of a Klichko text book fighting style, rather than head movement, slips and all that fancy stuff. Perhaps go for more distance managing, while being protected with the good guard you have and do long straight punching more?

Back