Bagwork and play"sparring"

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Sano, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Sano

Sano Black Belt

Had to take my shoes off. They are worn down at the soles and I kept slipping all over the floor with them. A good pair of shoes with grip would make it a lot easier to move around, but it's alright.

shincheckin likes this.
  2. Woldog

Woldog Boxer

Was a reference to my fight I sent you :p

shincheckin likes this.
  3. Sano

Sano Black Belt

Hahaha, got it! :D

shincheckin likes this.
  4. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

yeah i notice that it give you a very good side to side evasive movement, like the pivot point of your body is exactly at the hips. how about bobbing and weaving, do you drill them? i also notice you have good footwork, quick, evasive, angles, etc. its a wide stance but I guess I would call it an MMA stance as I just caught myself so I should mention....keep in mind, im looking at it with a muay thai mindset, so when I look at something, even if im not trying to, im still subconsciously comparing it to muay thai. overall everything is good man, clean technique all around, would be cool to see you in action in some harder sparring/fight videos if you have them.

[​IMG]

Sano likes this.
  5. Sano

Sano Black Belt

Thank you for the kind words and I appreciate the feedback very much. Don't hold back if there's anything you want to critique. Constructive criticism and exchanging ideas is always a good thing!

I do practice bobbing and weaving, but not as much as I should probably. Don't really have any hard sparring footage because most of the time the pros didn't like getting recorded at my old gym and the rest I just didn't get around to setting anything up. Only have a few lighter sparring videos but they're older. I also have my first boxing fight which is from about 5 years ago and it's terrible so no reason to re-post it haha. Not very indicative of where I am now. But if I do start sparring again and headaches don't come back, then I'll record something down the line for sure!

Thanks again for the feedback.

shincheckin likes this.
  6. mides

mides White Belt

I once learned a very good drill from Don "The Dragon" Wilson, a kickboxing champion back in the 80ties. During his seminars he tought what he called 'touch sparring'. It is sparring with light to no contact conducted in slow motion. It can be done without gear. Basic concept is to anticipate and embrace the full movement of a technique and defence. You also become aware of mistakes while in the middle of a move. Just an idea for you poor guys without gloves and stuff.

7. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Flow sparring is very beneficial. Esp. even more for newer folks who don't have the confidence and are trigger happy. It helps alot for getting comfortable throwing combos and stuff

shincheckin likes this.
  8. Phlog

Phlog Dad Belt

Biggest thing that jumped out to me was there were times that you bounce up and down on both feet.

When your mass is traveling upwards you cannot react, you are a target, ungrounded. You can't attack, defend or move in that moment.

I would totally kill that habit.

Also I've read that headgear doesn't help with brain injury, it actually makes it worse.

9. Phlog

Phlog Dad Belt

And I thought your calves would be bigger.

10. j123

Gives a false sense of security so some people purposely take hits. Multiply that by the number of rounds by days, years,etc and it gets pretty high. Also causes minor whiplash as well. Head gets snapped back, the added weight of the headgear pulls it back more and you return to normal. Repeat that by the number of rounds, days, years this happens

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Phlog likes this.
  11. Silver tongue samurai

Silver tongue samurai Ronin

Also read a book "fight like a physicist" and it said that specifically the fact it acts almost as a leaver for your chin causes it to create more axon shearing then would happen woth2 the gear.

Personally been to gyms where iv had to do both and i prefer no headgear100%. Id rather have a higher chance to than increased brain damage. As a counterfighter it helps with tht as well

12. j123

I hate headgear man, not only the trauma it doesn't help with, but it also affects my vision and breathing. Last fight I did, the headgear was really tight, and we all have to tighten it even more in case it falls off in clinching and takes time away from the round. Felt like I was getting RNC'd the entire time.

13. Silver tongue samurai

I hear ya man. It got to the point i wear an old openface TKD headgear with an elastic chin syrap that i put slits into to make longer. People "touch" my chin or graze my head and it turns the headgear. I fix it and back i go.

In my head all those times i move enough for the punch to just hit the headgear i would have gotten my head shaken up when in reality it would have missed or grazed off with the sweat.

No headgear petition:
    SilverTongue
    j123
    <{JustBleed}>

j123 likes this.
  14. William Huggins

William Huggins Green Belt

Only time someone should be wearing headgear in my opinion, is when they are trying to avoid a cut during sparring, leading up to a fight. I do believe some people actually hit each other harder to the head whilst wearing it.

15. j123

The more open the headgear the better. I can't imagine how ridiculous it would be on your vision and breathing with the bitch bar headgear

16. Silver tongue samurai

noseguardheadgear.jpg Wanderlei Scuba Mask.JPG
    {<huh}{<huh}