Bag work critique needed

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey I have not trained that much since the last bag work video, but still need some critique and what to work on

Thanks in advance... and yeah I know I am a newbie
round 1

round 2

Man you are definitely looking A LOT better. Improving a lot, it's good to see! You have a bad habit of throwing your chin up in the air when you are resetting and moving around the bag, try to work on that mate. Also, try to come a bit more offline, or move off the centerline when you dip to your right for the jab or other punches, and when you slip. Folding at the hips more when you do.

Otherwise. looking pretty good.

You are a bit stumbling on your feet/doing way to many unnecessary stepping. Get that footwork down like a smooth ticking clock with drills drills drills. The videos that I've come across in these forums are good ones for boxing.

Also you have too much tension in your upper body. Loosen that up and try to generate force from your hips instead.

Last edited:
Hey I have not trained that much since the last bag work video, but still need some critique and what to work on

round 1

round 2

(note: only seen these two videos)

More shoulder snap in your right hand, and follow through the rotation. This will give you more power. Even if you add it in small doses, you will notice a difference. How much is up to you. Keep it compact.

It's all in the shoulders..

Man you are definitely looking A LOT better. Improving a lot, it's good to see! You have a bad habit of throwing your chin up in the air when you are resetting and moving around the bag, try to work on that mate. Also, try to come a bit more offline, or move off the centerline when you dip to your right for the jab or other punches, and when you slip. Folding at the hips more when you do.

Otherwise. looking pretty good.

Thanks, Sano. Yep noticing that habit again. Do you think my left hook has improved from the last time? I am feeling a bit heavy as lacking training and perhaps gaining weight so I think that is the reason for the lack of good dip. I will try to figure it out soon.

You are a bit stumbling on your feet/doing way to many unnecessary stepping. Get that footwork down like a smooth ticking clock with drills drills drills. The videos that I've come across in these forums are good ones for boxing.

Also you have too much tension in your upper body. Loosen that up and try to generate force from your hips instead.

Actually stumbling is intentional. This is how we are taught to do it in order to coordinate footwork. I have a problem not stumbling enough especially when using my right twice in a row and I do not shoulder pull enough.

I agree on tensed upper body, I feel my upper body super tired when sparring.

(note: only seen these two videos)

More shoulder snap in your right hand, and follow through the rotation. This will give you more power. Even if you add it in small doses, you will notice a difference. How much is up to you. Keep it compact.

It's all in the shoulders..

You are talking about the cross, the hook or the uppercut? Or the combination of 2-1-2? So I can figure it out

Last edited:
I would try to be more solid as far as chin positioning and footwork goes. You’re super loosey goosey

Actually stumbling is intentional. This is how we are taught to do it in order to coordinate footwork. I have a problem not stumbling enough especially when using my right twice in a row and I do not shoulder pull enough.

I agree on tensed upper body, I feel my upper body super tired when sparring.

You can never do enough footwork drills, especially in the beginning. Stumbling makes no sense, here a good example of bagwork.

Last edited:
I would try to be more solid as far as chin positioning and footwork goes. You’re super loosey goosey

Can you elaborate reagrding the footwork. What it means loosey goosey haha :) I am not really familiar what you want to say.
I understand that my chin is too high... you mean I look lazy? Or not fast enough or something?

You can never do enough footwork drills, especially in the beginning. Stumbling makes no sense, here a good example of bagwork.

Well this is how they teach punching while going backwards or to the sides or in general when you move. You need to stumble to get power into the shots. For example 2-1-2 even static the coach wants you stumble to add power. Or for example 1-2-1-2 (which I have not done in the video) when you add it to a combo - the coach wants you to stumble. For example you just finished a 1-1-2 combo and the opponent has guarded up, the easiest way to swarm the opponent is by adding 1-2-1-2 going forward (if you are in mid range) that requires stumbling your feet to add power and speed. This is how we are taught to do it. And the guy is a boxing academic and an ex national boxer. He is not fake when it comes to boxing technique.

Another example of stumbling you do a cross and then a cross when going backwards. That requires also stumbling and actually doing something like a fake jab to release the shoulder for the 2nd cross. A friend of mine who has a silver in nationals in boxing in his 20s, stumbles hardcore and the guy is a killer has a knock out power in every of his trown rights and is like 75 kg. He stumbles so hard that you have no idea if the punch is more loud on the pads or his feet.

You can see it in this video from this Cuban coach

His students stumble at the begining of the video when going backwards. And he pretty much explains the footwork with stumbbling from 2:00 till the end. Watch him carefully, especially when explaining doing 1-2-1 going to the left and 2-1-2 going to the right. He requires stumbling and the white guy actually gets the 1-2-1 going to the left by the end and does it right.

Last edited:
Well this is how they teach punching while going backwards or to the sides or in general when you move. You need to stumble to get power into the shots. For example 2-1-2 even static the coach wants you stumble to add power. Or for example 1-2-1-2 (which I have not done in the video) when you add it to a combo - the coach wants you to stumble. For example you just finished a 1-1-2 combo and the opponent has guarded up, the easiest way to swarm the opponent is by adding 1-2-1-2 going forward (if you are in mid range) that requires stumbling your feet to add power and speed. This is how we are taught to do it. And the guy is a boxing academic and an ex national boxer. He is not fake when it comes to boxing technique.

Another example of stumbling you do a cross and then a cross when going backwards. That requires also stumbling and actually doing something like a fake jab to release the shoulder for the 2nd cross. A friend of mine who has a silver in nationals in boxing in his 20s, stumbles hardcore and the guy is a killer has a knock out power in every of his trown rights and is like 75 kg. He stumbles so hard that you have no idea if the punch is more loud on the pads or his feet.

You can see it in this video from this Cuban coach

His students stumble at the begining of the video when going backwards. And he pretty much explains the footwork with stumbbling from 2:00 till the end. Watch him carefully, especially when explaining doing 1-2-1 going to the left and 2-1-2 going to the right. He requires stumbling and the white guy actually gets the 1-2-1 going to the left by the end and does it right.

What I mean is you have to use your hip more to generate power instead of falling into your punches when stepping in (this can be improved by doing footwork drills, where you feel the power coming from you hips instead of just falling forward and sticking out your arm). Start slow to get used to the movement and add speed later on.

Last edited:
I was eye balling your right cross with regards to lack of shoulder snap. You did sink into more once, but I still think your shoulder is underused

Can you elaborate reagrding the footwork. What it means loosey goosey haha :) I am not really familiar what you want to say.
I understand that my chin is too high... you mean I look lazy? Or not fast enough or something?
Chin down, more power into single shots. You need more fundamentals before going into combos. Everything is being rushed for speeds sake. I used to do this all the time. Just go slower and more deliberate with your punches

round 1

round 2

You're thinking to much.

Back