Badou Jack vs. Nathan Cleverly in the works for Mayweather-McGregor undercard

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
With just over a month until showtime, the Mayweather-McGregor undercard is finally grumbling to life. The Ring reports that Mayweather teammate Badou Jack is “close to a deal” to face WBA champ Nathan Cleverly in “The Ripper’s” light heavyweight debut.

Jack (21-1-2, 12 KO) upset George Groves for the WBC super middleweight title in 2015, then defended it with a questionable-draw-turned-disqualification against Lucian Bute seven months later. This past January, he took on James DeGale in a unification match and did massive damage to “Chunky’s” face, though he had to settle for a majority draw.

Cleverly (30-3, 16 KO) rebounded from his loss to Andrzej Fonfara with a quality scrap against Jürgen Brähmer, which came to an abrupt end in the sixth round after Brähmer injured his elbow. This is his first time he’s held a world title since Sergey Kovalev ended his WBO reign in 2013.

I still say Jack going to light heavy is a mistake. He's a good fighter but he's struggled to break down guys at 168. He's not fighting powder puffs at 168 or anything but still, this move is too early.

He beats Cleverly, but no where to go from there. Lots of killers at 175.

Pretty good fight imo.

Cleverley is pretty much done these days, bit of a wierd fight as Jack isnt going to be good enough to fight the top guys, so has settled for Cleverley...not sure exactly what he is going to get out of it though

Cleverley is pretty much done these days, bit of a wierd fight as Jack isnt going to be good enough to fight the top guys, so has settled for Cleverley...not sure exactly what he is going to get out of it though
He can probably get a shot at Stevenson pretty quick considering the Haymon association.

Good fight for Jack to take at 175. I agree that 175 probably won't be for him though. He was consistent and grinding out fights at 168. That will probably translate to him losing some close decisions at light heavy.

I can't see Jack being elite at LHW, but he should beat Cleverly.

Nice fight, but I'm still not ordering this PPV because of the main event. It's an embarrassment, and I've watched stuff like Holmes vs. Butterbean.

Nice fight, but I'm still not ordering this PPV because of the main event. It's an embarrassment, and I've watched stuff like Holmes vs. Butterbean.
Lol that's harsh. Will you watch it though ?

He can probably get a shot at Stevenson pretty quick considering the Haymon association.

i guess, but its a bit of a shit fight really

Cleverley has always been a bit shit, and seems have rode the tail of Calzaghe a little bit, a Welsh fighter who hasnt got power and in reality cant really box that well(not lining that up for 'Zaghe)

Few british fighters are getting a bit too much props IMO, the likes of DeGale, Cleverley, Bellew, Haye and a few others seem to be hyped to death, but are not actually that good

According to Edward "Posh Used Car Salesman" Hearn's twatter, this still hasn't been signed, & Clev is holding out for more money (for travelling & I presume 'cos he knows he's getting an arse-kicking here).

Makes sense for a debut at 175. Jack may be seriously outgunned against the top dogs, though.

perfect 1st fight at light-heavy for Jack - Cleverly's never had any power but is he's a good test to see if you're world-level at a new weight

i guess, but its a bit of a shit fight really

Cleverley has always been a bit shit, and seems have rode the tail of Calzaghe a little bit, a Welsh fighter who hasnt got power and in reality cant really box that well(not lining that up for 'Zaghe)

Few british fighters are getting a bit too much props IMO, the likes of DeGale, Cleverley, Bellew, Haye and a few others seem to be hyped to death, but are not actually that good

I don't know if degale should be included in that list, he deserves the credit he's been getting IMO

Makes sense for a debut at 175. Jack may be seriously outgunned against the top dogs, though.

That's my assessment, too. He made me a believer at 168 - I think he could hang with and beat most of the competition there. But 175 is a bridge too far, imo.

Back