Bad idea to train multiple martial arts at once?

Frozen Sea

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been huge MMA fan for about a year now and have decided to begin training. I found two very good gyms in my area. I just turned 18 and graduated last year so all I have is free time and I'm overall a quick learner and very competitive.

So with that said I have two questions. Is it disrespectful / frowned upon to train at 2 different gyms? One gym is an American Top Team gym with very good coaches from what I've seen and the head coach has a pretty decent record in Bellator. The other gym teaches Sambo classes which is a martial art I find very interesting and have wanted to learn since getting into MMA. And it is home to a few Sambo World Champions. I want my main gym to be with ATT but I also want to learn Sambo.

I have never done any martial arts training before. Here is the schedule I plan to put into action. I will also be working 4 Days a week on top of this.

GCJvQTw.png

If you are paying them it is your choice. You are a customer not a disciple.

I was going to say that looks like a pretty rough schedule to maintain but you are 18. You will be fine until you turn 30.

What is striking fit? If that is a Taebo class you are wasting your time.

I think your time would be better spent in another Muay Thai class or lifting weights instead of doing the cardio kickboxing.

I think your time would be better spent in another Muay Thai class or lifting weights instead of doing the cardio kickboxing.

My experience with cardio kickboxing for fighters is that it is only good if you are an amazing visual learner with natural athletic body control a high physical IQ. For normal people, it just makes bad habits permanent.

Too much too soon is a common beginner's mistake.

You've never trained before. I would suggest starting at one gym and cutting that schedule in half. It will save you a lot of money too, which if you're an 18 year old on your own is probably somewhat of a concern.

Start at one gym first and keep a consistent 4x a week training schedule for a few months. If you're able to handle that, then consider adding another gym.

You're 18 though so just do whatever you want because if you're anything like I was at 18, you've already made up your mind anyway. That's normal so just have fun.

I am not an MMA fighter, so you can take my advice for what it is worth, but I would think it is better to focus on one discipline, master it (which will take years), and then branch of while making the mastered discipline your base.

If you have the chance to train under Sambo world fucking champs dump the MMA and focus all your time on that!

Holy crap dude that's a privilege to b that close to as high a level school.

Post up the name of that Sambo school, I want to check them out!

I'd train it in a second if there were any great schools near me!

Any world class Sambo is going to be light years ahead in teaching u great technique than a mediocre MMA school!

Add up the MMA in a few years after you've learned great body mechanics and control!

Lucky Bastid!

LOL!

Why are all the classes in one hour format except muy Thai?

If you want to fight mma, you have to do wathever the head coach of the mma gym tells you to do.

When it comes to fighting. You are no longer the customer and do whatever you want to do. You just listen and hope they have your best interest at heart and find you good match up.

Bringing some sambo skills into your repertoire could be good but I can see it could annoy your head coach if he thinks it could weaken his game plan because it goes against his blue print as your sambo skills would not be that great.

Were you involved in athletics before hand? If not you might want to start with one and then add the second as you get used to it.

I also cosign on ditching cardio kickboxing for weightlifting. I wouldn't do anything too strenuous, while you're training that much, though. Something like Tactical Barbell, or 5/3/1.

Were you involved in athletics before hand?
I did Football/Basketball every year before highschool but then quit and just took Weight Training/Conditioning classes through out highschool.

Post up the name of that Sambo school, I want to check them out!
The gym is Welcome Mat Training Center. After emailing about Sambo this is the info they gave me. "Head Coach Steve Scott is a National Champion and has coached three World Champions in Sambo. Coach Derrick Darling is a National Champion as well as a Pan American and World Championships medalist".

Also thanks for the advice. http://americantopteamhd.com/ is the MMA Gym website where you can find all the info if you guys were interested.

I did Football/Basketball every year before highschool but then quit and just took Weight Training/Conditioning classes through out highschool.

The gym is Welcome Mat Training Center. After emailing about Sambo this is the info they gave me. "Head Coach Steve Scott is a National Champion and has coached three World Champions in Sambo. Coach Derrick Darling is a National Champion as well as a Pan American and World Championships medalist".

Also thanks for the advice. http://americantopteamhd.com/ is the MMA Gym website where you can find all the info if you guys were interested.
Holy shit dude, I don't mean to b a jerk but this kind of group of martial artists is very rare and should not be passed on!

http://www.welcomematjudoclub.com/HALL-OF-FAME.html

World class level training and competition! Plus you'll have tons of great dedicated students to move up through the ranks with. Who you work on technique and pick apart the pieces with is important as well as who you are learning them from. The time you drill before and after classes will end up by being so much more than actual class time and will turbo charge your development.

Shit I had 2 Judo national champion teachers who competed back in the 70's and 80's, Welcome has friggin Olympic TC team members and like 10 national championship level members who r active today!

These guys are the real deal!

Ditch the MMA gym that looks like typical jack of all triads master of none 1 BJJ BB and a MT BJJ Blue Belt....
Pick up with those guys in the next year or two.

If the sambo class isn't taught by a Russian speaking (as a first language) coach, then don't go to it lol.

American Top Team sounds like a good place to train though

Back