Bad Gas tank. Help if you can.

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
Okay so here's the story. I'm currently training pure Boxing, and am 23. I've been training off and on Different martial arts since I was 17. I did MMA for years. I'm about 5'11 and weigh currently 155-160. This is me at my lightest. I'm in shape and have very low body fat percentage currently. Heres the issue. I have bad cardio. I feel I am very skiilled in technique and am ready for my first Amy bout anytime. But my cardio is not up to stuff. I can't spar consistent 3X3 for some reason. I can go into the gym and do like 10 straight rounds hitting. The heavy, and doing shadow boxing. I'm starting to think it's all mental. I feel I have fight anxiety before I enter the ring to spar, and when it's starts I gas fast. Any tips, advice, training tips, mental tips to help me out?

Try to relax? Do you find you are stiff when you are sparring, or worried you are going to get hurt?

Maybe you need to loosen up

Try to relax? Do you find you are stiff when you are sparring, or worried you are going to get hurt?

Maybe you need to loosen up
I don't really go in there worrying I'm gonna get hurt. It's more like I go in there worrying the performance won't be up to stuff. When hitting the bag and shadow boxing I'm extremely loose. I pride must on my unorthodox "free" style as I like to put it. But when I spar I'm left standing there thinking to much about what hes going to do.

I don't really go in there worrying I'm gonna get hurt. It's more like I go in there worrying the performance won't be up to stuff. When hitting the bag and shadow boxing I'm extremely loose. I pride must on my unorthodox "free" style as I like to put it. But when I spar I'm left standing there thinking to much about what hes going to do.
That could be it then. Or could be your breathing.

Have you tried asking your coach?

Sounds like you just need more time sparring.

FYI, the phrase is "up to snuff".

you have anxiety because you wont face your fears....you must stand in the face of fear and overcome it

some people are not afraid.....fight or flight reflex is uncontrollable and genetic but the fact is even if you are afraid(many people are)you must overcome it to be a fighter

you have anxiety because you wont face your fears....you must stand in the face of fear and overcome it

some people are not afraid.....fight or flight reflex is uncontrollable and genetic but the fact is even if you are afraid(many people are)you must overcome it to be a fighter

Yes. For instance, before I became a fighter I hard to pick up a tarantula, swim with sharks, and make friends with a clown.

You must face your fears before you are able to progress.

OP, just spar more. Less focus on drills just hitting and more focus on drills working with a live opponent would probably be helpful as well.

. I'm starting to think it's all mental. I feel I have fight anxiety before I enter the ring to spar, and when it's starts I gas fast. Any tips, advice, training tips, mental tips to help me out?
Meditation, sports psychologist.

Just plant your feet and bang....bro. Skip all that foot work and ring work.

More running, swimming etc

Try working out with an elevation mask

This should be in the stand up forum, it's not about conditioning.

Dictate the action, create spaces for yourself, always, always, always remember to breathe. Feints give you even more space and information about their reactions.

I would want to have all this as normal behaviour in sparring before going for a fight, there's no point goin in with questions that should have been answered in sparring.

Don't let anyone push you into competition until you are comfortable sparring.

It's not cardio, it's that you are not breathing and making space for you to breathe. This is done by establishing a threat and then using it and the idea of it to control tempo and where the fight takes place.

Mods please move this to stand up.

Kiwi good to see your little bitty smart ass hasnt changed

Point flew right over you

Thaks for the advice everyone who gave it. And if this is the wrong sub forum my bad. I assumed this was conditioning related.

You can hit the bag and shadowbox all day because a bag doesn't hit back. The footwork as well as thinking during sparring will make you get tired faster. Just do more drills to where you are pushing your cardio to the absolute limit almost at that throw up or feeling dizzy stage. Keep pushing. Just get to the point where you have confidence in your cardio. Try two rounds straight with a 30 second break. Once you get comfortable with that do 3 rounds straight with a 30 second break. You just have to get your heart rate up and keep it there. Get used to that uncomfortable feeling.

Okay so here's the story. I'm currently training pure Boxing, and am 23. I've been training off and on Different martial arts since I was 17. I did MMA for years. I'm about 5'11 and weigh currently 155-160. This is me at my lightest. I'm in shape and have very low body fat percentage currently. Heres the issue. I have bad cardio. I feel I am very skiilled in technique and am ready for my first Amy bout anytime. But my cardio is not up to stuff. I can't spar consistent 3X3 for some reason. I can go into the gym and do like 10 straight rounds hitting. The heavy, and doing shadow boxing. I'm starting to think it's all mental. I feel I have fight anxiety before I enter the ring to spar, and when it's starts I gas fast. Any tips, advice, training tips, mental tips to help me out?

If anxiety is depleting your cardio I would suggest shorter rounds; three minutes can seem like an eternity if you're not accustomed to full contact. Work with focus mitts, it's the closest (so I'm told) in terms of conditioning, to sparing.
Also, be honest with your sparring partners, tell them you're new. Be selective, stay away from the guys that go to war every time the enter the ring. It's not a pissing contest, you're there to learn.

Back