Backwards step

Token7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whats the best to step or go backwards to maximize a quick punch? Is there a better way to move back than usual? I remember the hop step thread a while back and I find it easier to apply that going forward than backward. Not sure why. Really asking if there's a way to retreat backwards and load your hips for a powerful counter.

@Sinister @a guy

Sounds like you're aiming to throw an anchor punch. Look up Ali or Anderson Silva utilize it on Forrest Griffin. Though the exact technique and details I'm not 100% sure, as I can't think of a time I utilized it myself.

Are you talking about punching WHILE moving backwards, or moving backwards THEN punching?

Sounds like you're aiming to throw an anchor punch. Look up Ali or Anderson Silva utilize it on Forrest Griffin. Though the exact technique and details I'm not 100% sure, as I can't think of a time I utilized it myself.

I'm definitely not a fan of the way Silva does it. Too many guys get caught stepping their lead foot back out of stance like that. It worked against Forrest because he sprinted into Silva's fist, but Silva could have done the same thing with a hop step back and could have kept his stance while doing it.

98dW9C.gif

Here's another good one.

This + Ali's pull counter, it looks like they maintain the same hip position/stance so the power is the same. Also I don't think power is that important if the guy is rushing towards you. His own momentum will cause him to run into the punch which will naturally increase the impact force.

98dW9C.gif

Here's another good one.

This + Ali's pull counter, it looks like they maintain the same hip position/stance so the power is the same. Also I don't think power is that important if the guy is rushing towards you. His own momentum will cause him to run into the punch which will naturally increase the impact force.
I'm not a boxer so take this with a grain of salt but it doesn't look to me to be well executed. IMO if Conor's hook didn't land flush on the jaw (and grazed the top of Aldo's head for example) he'd be the one KOd after Aldo's own left hook that landed anyway, but with less power due to Aldo being out already.

I'm not a boxer so take this with a grain of salt but it doesn't look to me to be well executed. IMO if Conor's hook didn't land flush on the jaw (and grazed the top of Aldo's head for example) he'd be the one KOd after Aldo's own left hook that landed anyway, but with less power due to Aldo being out already.

Well there's no move that's invincible. Even Mayweather's famous pull counter could be beat.
YoungConcreteAmericanalligator.gif

Also I'm pretty sure McGregor's was a calculated, drilled move. It looks very shotokan inspired. I can't find any videos but I'm sure they do that type of drilling in Shotokan. Here's a shotokan guy using it @ 1:07:

EDIT: From the shotakan vid the counter guy is open to the rear hand from the attacker so maybe the move is just inherently dangerous.

Last edited:

EDIT: From the shotakan vid the counter guy is open to the rear hand from the attacker so maybe the move is just inherently dangerous.

Shotokan karate guys are so annoying with their yelling and obnoxious gesturing. Don't get me wrong, I did Shotokan for a few years and I like the idea of the format with a single strike to finish it all. It creates a different kind of mindset, and certain aspects of it are definitely valuabe.

Yet to this day I still find it annoying to look at the way they prance around and act like "killers" because they scored a touch. Let's fight already!

Last edited:
Are you talking about punching WHILE moving backwards, or moving backwards THEN punching?

What do you think is the most effective to move backwards THEN punch? For most power

What do you think is the most effective to move backwards THEN punch? For most power

I guarantee if you tried to punch while moving, you would end up stopping momentarily to plant anyways.

It would be the hop-step back. It's more difficult, that's life.

Shotokan karate guys are so annoying with their yelling and obnoxious gesturing. Don't get me wrong, I did Shotokan for a few years and I like the idea of the format with a single strike to finish it all. It creates a different kind of mindset, and certain aspects of it are definitely valuabe.

Yet to this day I still find it annoying to look at the way they prance around and act like "killers" because they scored a touch. Let's fight already!
The prancing and shouting is abundant in WKF. JKA isn't as bad. And they follow through with punches. And you don't get DQd for a KO automatically. It's generally much better Shotokan.

The prancing and shouting is abundant in WKF. JKA isn't as bad. And they follow through with punches. And you don't get DQd for a KO automatically. It's generally much better Shotokan.

Pretty brutal. Much less prancing and more realistic, I like it! Thanks.

The perfect sport for autistic people

The last part, yes. If you throw the rear hand from the lead hip, it just won't have your weight on it.

Which is a big clue to front-foot heavy fighters on how to improve rear hand punches.

Back