Back to basics.

Turismo

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
About me:

I'm a 26 year old former judoka that hasn't trained or competed seriously or consistently since the age of 18 and has instead got really fat and lazy. I've recently got motivation back for the first time in a long time and want to compete at nationals later next year with some regionals in spring/summer 2018.

Previous Attributes:
Height: 5ft 9
Weight - 73kg
Bench - 90kg
OHP - 45kg
Squat - 120kg
F.Squat - 100kg
Deadlift - 200kg
RHR - ?

Current Attributes:
Height - 5ft 9
Weight - 90kg
Bench - failure with 63kg 3x10
OHP - Untested
Squat - untested
F. Squat - untested
Deadlift - untested
RHR - 70 bpm

Targets:
# 1: Get under 81kg by March.
# 2: Bring RHR average below 60bpm.
# 3: Restore previous max strength numbers by June (non-relative).

Last edited:
Week 1 - aerobic base building.
Day 1 - feeler session.

First time back in the gym.
I jump straight in and begin bench pressing 63kg for 3 reps of 10 and superset that with 4 or 5 bodyweight pull ups between each set.

Now I'm dizzy, I'm nauseous and i’m having difficulty squatting just the bar on my warm up. I’m thinking I’ll do 5 reps before trying to grease the groove on some power cleans. Nope, my body is not having it. I’m about to throw up.

So I get on the rower and take it easy for a bit.

Now my nauseas subsided I do 3x10 @ 16kg on the cable rows and leave for the sauna.

Not much good training today. More of a feeler session.

Last edited:
Week 1 - Aerobic base building
Day 2 - Endurance

Am
Chest is aching bad. Didn't sleep well and didn't recover well.

Did 30minute steady state cardio on the treadmill. 7.30 km/hr pace.

50 hanging leg raises (poor form).
1 round of Isometric grip training. (10 shoulder presses, 10 reverse curls, 10 shrugs and 10 hammer curls interspersed with 90second isometric holds before, after and between each with an 8kg dB.

Sauna.

Pm.
1.5 hours of Judo Including sprints, bodyweight exercises and a fair bit of randori. I was first to gas and really need to keep an eye on recovery.

Last edited:
Week 1 - Aerobic base building.
Day 3 - Endurance

6-7 hrs sleep.

30minutes steady state cardio on the treadmill. 8 km/h pace.

Isometric grip circuit X 3
8, 4, and then 2 kg dumbbells.

Feeling good.
Sauna time.

Day 4 - SE circuit

Woke up Lethargic with severe DOMS in my calves.

Did a barbell cluster.
OHP, Front squat, Bench, Rows, Shrugs, Romanian Deadlifts. 3 X 20 with 2min recovery between each.

Feeling much better.

Day 5 - rest.

Day 6 - Endurance

60min steady state cardio on the treadmill at 150-160 bpm.

Isometric grip circuit.
8kg, 8kg, 6kg rounds 1, 2 & 3.

Last edited:
Day 7 - Rest & reflection

More doms in the calves but not as bad as on day 4.

RHR immediately upon waking was dead on 60bpm which was a pleasant surprise. Hopefully I can keep bringing it down.

Weight was 89.5kg first thing in the morning which while i was hoping for, I wasn't expecting.

So week 1 has been a resounding success for me.
I'm losing weight at a healthy rate, my heart rate has fallen, I ran an hour straight for the first time ever and my recovery seems manageable. I can't wait to get back in there tomorrow.

Week 2 - Aerobic base building.
Day 1 - Strength Endurance Circuit

Warm up with 5 minutes light rowing and 20 kettle bell swings.

Barbell cluster:
Push press, front squat, bent over rows, Bench Press, shrugs, Romanian Deadlifts.

30 reps, 2-3 minutes recovery after each exercise, completed for 3 rounds while avoiding failure.

Felt noticeably easier than last week despite the extra reps.

Im thinking maybe the gorgeous blonde doing hip thrusts in the squat rack next to me gave me some extra motivation.

Feeling real good.

Day 2 - Endurance

40minutes steady state cardio today.

I was hoping to row or cycle because walking around town I could feel the slight onset of shin splints on my inside right. I didn't have enough time to travel to and from the gym and prepare for judo so I risked 40mins gentle roadwork. I don't know how it’ll feel 2moro but I completed the route without stopping which was a big deal for me. It's about 3 miles with the last half a mile a really steep incline. Usually I can't even attempt the hill and stop for a rest halfway through the route before I'm anywhere near the hill. Usually my back and shoulders are in pain, I have slight stitches and my legs are giving up. Today I just kept going and fatigue (mental or physical) didn't set in. Honestly, I'm chuffed to bits.

2 hours of Judo inc 30mins of newaza Randori.

Last edited:
Week 2 - Aerobic base building
Day 3 - Endurance

40m treadmill (130-150 bpm).
Iso Grip circuit. 8, 8, 6kg (1m rest between rounds)
20m Sauna.

Recovering well.

Last edited:
Day 4 - Strength Endurance

Barbell cluster. 6 exercises as listed in wk 2/day 1.
3 rounds of 30. 2mins rest.

Needed 30secs break for the last 10 reps on each round of front squats.

Felt fresh on completion.

Day 5 - Rest/ Active Recovery

1.5 hours of really light technical judo.

Day 6 - Endurance.

2 hours on the treadmill @ 130-150 bpm.

Still feeling fresh recovery-wise.

Week 2 - Aerobic base building (BB)
Day 7 - Rest & reflection on weekly progress.

RHR on waking - 64bpm
Weight: 88.6kg

My RHR could be lower. I had a late night last night and not the best sleep either.

Seeing how consistently my weight is coming down despite not restricting my diet is very encouraging.

0.5kg a week was the rate i’d been hoping for and so far, so good.

Week 3 - Base Building.
Day 1 - Strength Endurance.

Barbell Cluster: OHP, front squat, bent over rows, bench press, shrugs & Deadlifts.

3x40. 2-3 minutes rest between each.

I realised that on my last strength endurance session I did 1 more round than I should of. I don't know if it was that but today I had real difficulty completing the 40 on the OHP and front squat. Especially the front squat. I had to break it up into 15, 10, 10, 5 with breaks under 1min each.

Otherwise I felt pretty good. My sleep schedule the past few nights has been horrendous though. I really need to sort that out.

Can still feel a light shin splint hanging around on my inside right. So far it's not really holding me back. I'm in 2 minds about resting it because the treadmill allows me to monitor my heart rate more consistently during the endurance sessions than the rower or pool. I'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Week 3 - Base Building.
Day 2 - Endurance.

20min cycle & 30minute jog @ 130-150bpm.
on 5-6 hrs sleep.

I wanted to do the full 50minutes on the bike but struggled to keep my heart rate above 130 after 20m. Not sure why.

1.5 hrs judo newaza. A lot of situational randori.

Last edited:
Wk 3 / day 3 - base building endurance.
50mins Treadmill @ 130-150bpm.

Wk 3/ day 4 - base building strength-endurance.

Barbell Circuit 2x40 with 2min RI- push press, front squat, rows, bench press, shrugs & Romanian Deadlifts.

Forgot my shorts at the gym so had to lift in my jeans. I didn't think I could look a bigger twat than i usually do, but somehow I managed it.

Back