Back pain and pushups

FinalConflict2005

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Recently took approx 20 days off from my pushup routine and my upper back / shoulder blade area feels so much better. I had some tightness/pain sleeping or at work. I do a lot of pushing movements for my workouts. Any tips on other movements I should be doing?

Recently took approx 20 days off from my pushup routine and my upper back / shoulder blade area feels so much better. I had some tightness/pain sleeping or at work. I do a lot of pushing movements for my workouts. Any tips on other movements I should be doing?
  • If you feel something isn't right stop listen to the body first
  • Also visit a GP for treatment
  • Get some remedial massage therapy at least once a month
  • Hot sauna sessions helps
  • Once you have recovered I recommend swimming, it provides natural resistance to strengthen those areas you speak of
  • Do at least 30 min stretching the entire body before exercising
  • Other than that if the pain persists you got to go and see a physiotherapist, most likely torn muscle or ligament strain. Lots of rest in that case.

Last edited:
  • If you feel something isn't right stop listen to the body first
  • Also visit a GP for treatment
  • Get some remedial massage therapy at least once a month
  • Hot sauna sessions helps
  • Once you have recovered I recommend swimming, it provides natural resistance to strengthen those areas you speak of
  • Do at least 30 min stretching the entire body before exercising
  • Other than that if the pain persists you got to go and see a physiotherapist, most likely torn muscle or ligament strain. Lots of rest in that case.
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Last edited:
As Corpse mentioned pull ups.

I had back issues and stopped doing any pushing exercises for awhile and added pulling exercises and glute strengthening .

My back pain was attributed to a tight IT band which I started foam rolling on a regular basis as well.

This routine worked for me.

As Corpse mentioned pull ups.

I had back issues and stopped doing any pushing exercises for awhile and added pulling exercises and glute strengthening .

My back pain was attributed to a tight IT band which I started foam rolling on a regular basis as well.

This routine worked for me.
Feeling awesome now. Focusing attention on strengthening my back. I really enjoy doing push ups and different variations.

Feeling awesome now. Focusing attention on strengthening my back. I really enjoy doing push ups and different variations.

i think body rows are the perfect back exercise without weight. if you do them for several sets of more reps, say 15 to 20 with a controlled rep speed and a higher tut, you can really feel the glutes and lower back working, too. pull ups don't hit the posterior chain at all. if you workout only with bodyweight i would absolutely use this exercise over pull ups for correcting any back issues.

do you deadlift?

Have you ever tried this variation of pushup for your back?

i think body rows are the perfect back exercise without weight. if you do them for several sets of more reps, say 15 to 20 with a controlled rep speed and a higher tut, you can really feel the glutes and lower back working, too. pull ups don't hit the posterior chain at all. if you workout only with bodyweight i would absolutely use this exercise over pull ups for correcting any back issues.

do you deadlift?
Don’t dead but I have TRX bands for inverted rows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back