Back From The Dead

SteveX

Nobody F*cks Wit Da Jesus
@Black
Reaction score
Some of you guys might remember me from awhile back. I was pretty serious about lifting, but I let wrestling get in the way and started to get less and less consistent. After wrestling I had trouble getting motivated again. Unfortunately, after getting back into it, I ended up hurting my back which put me out even longer.

I ended up taking a weightlifting course this semester. The bad thing is that the course was mostly machine based so I had to do what I had to do for the grade. The good thing is that it made me miss lifting and got me motivated again. I did my maxes today and I'm gonna start my routine on tuesday.

Current Stats *As of 6/1/13*
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 176 lbs
Squat: 370 lbs
Bench: 290 lbs
Deadlift: 425 lbs
Strict Press: 195

Last edited:
Nice avatar. I don't know who you are, but welcome back and good luck.

thanks for the support guys. can't wait to get back under the bar

Went to jiu-jitsu tonight. Can't wait for tomorrow when I get to lift.

A few quick questions for those of you who have done squats and milk before:

What % your of 1RM did you start out with?
I know in Super Squats Strossen says to use your 10RM, but according to the calculator that would be about 225 for me. I'll go for it, but I wanted to double check first.

When, if ever, did you add weight to chins and dips?
I think the article on the website says to just try to do more reps every workout. I feel that going past 12 reps is pointless in terms of strength gain and was going to start adding weight once I was able to do about that many per set.

I don't know anything about squats an milk, but as far as dips go, I'd say that if you can bang out 8-10 reps, you should start adding weight.

I don't know anything about squats an milk, but as far as dips go, I'd say that if you can bang out 8-10 reps, you should start adding weight.

Yea I was thinking about that rep range as well.

Probably just start lighter than 225 to be safe, especially since my strength > my endurance. Maybe like 205.

Squats
1x23 @ 205

Squats felt good. Might have gone just a bit too light. Physically, I think I could have done 25, but I gave in mentally.

Pullovers
1x20 @ 25

Had to use a 25 pound plate because I don't have the room to do pullovers with a bar. Didn't really feel a stretch in my ribs (more in the medial portion of my upper arm to about where my delt start). Might need to increase the weight so that my arms are further apart.

Dips
3x8

Definitely need to add some weight. Might go with 25lb next workout, see how that goes.

Chin Ups
3x5

Gonna hold off on the weight until I can get some more reps per set.

V-Ups
1x20
1x15
1x15

Felt good, not gonna really add weight onto these. Probably just work on increasing the reps every workout.

Overall, not a bad first workout back. Hopefully it is a sign of good things to come.

I took a striking class tonight and got some good cardio out of it.

My legs weren't that sore today, hopefully that doesnt change tomorrow when I have to squat.

Squat
1x20 @ 210

Squats felt really good (I use that term lightly). I felt like I could have kept going, but I don't want to burn myself out for my next workout.

Pullovers
1x20 @ 35

Still no stretch in my ribs. Gonna try 45 next week and see what happens.

Dips

3x8 @ 25

A bit difficult on the last set, but overall it wasn't bad. Gonna increase the weight next week

Chin Ups
1x7
1x5
1x5

V-Ups

3x20

Overall a good workout. Can't complain about the routine so far. I don't see how I will be able to add 5 lbs consistently every workout, but I'll tackle that problem when it appears.

What made you choose this program over some of the more popular ones?

How is your squat form? I know you said they felt good, but ARE they good? I'm asking because if they need any work, now is the best time to do it.

What made you choose this program over some of the more popular ones?

How is your squat form? I know you said they felt good, but ARE they good? I'm asking because if they need any work, now is the best time to do it.

I don't know just seemed like a brutal routine that I needed to try. I wanted to really work on my squat and it was between this and smolov.

On tuesday someone was with my watching me squat and talking me through my first 20 repper. He didn't mention any problem with my form (and I just asked him and he said it looked good).

Maybe I'll take a video of my next workout to get some more opinions.

gonna be rolling tonight for 2 hours.

My legs aren't really sore at all today. Usually after the first week I don't get DOMS anymore, but I am [pleasantly] surprised that I am DOMS-free after only the second day.

It was between squats and milk and smolov?

You're old-school, man. That shit is soooo 2007.

It was between squats and milk and smolov?

You're old-school, man. That shit is soooo 2007.

What are the new fangled programs out there you youngins are doing these days?

Starting Strength (google "starting strength wiki" for an awesome site) is the way to go if you can still use linear progression. Their advanced novice program sounds good if you can't continue to make gains like a noob anymore. After that, 5/3/1 and Sheiko are great programs for some wicked strength gains. Check Chaos Mitten's and Donut62's logs to see the kinds of gains they got on Sheiko, and Enright and Team Dragonfire have had really good success with 5/3/1. If you want a spreadsheet for Sheiko, there a link on the first page of Mittens' log. For 5/3/1 info, PM me. But I don't think you're ready for either of those programs yet. You can probably make quicker progress with something else right now.

I know starting strength, I have read both editions a few times. Might do some research on sheiko and 5/3/1 for something to do somewhere down the line

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back