Ayaka Hamasaki vs. Livia Renata Souza at STRAWWEIGHT at Invicta FC 22

Better Every Day

Zhang finishing Andrade avatar
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hamasaki has wanted to move to the UFC, but apparently her being the Invicta FC atomweight champion didn't motivate the UFC to take her. So, she had called out Angela Hill to fight for the Invicta FC strawweight title, but Hill got taken up by the UFC, killing that ploy to interest the UFC in Hamasaki. Moving up to fight Souza (who lost the belt to Hill) is Hamasaki's new try at getting the UFC's attention. Hamasaki has fought at strawweight before: her only career loss was to Claudia Gadelha.

Invicta atomweight champ Ayaka Hamasaki moves up to strawweight to face Livia Renata Souza
byMarc Raimondi@marc_raimondiFeb 6, 2017

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/6...-up-to-strawweight-to-face-livia-renata-souza

005_Ayaka_Hamasaki.0.0.jpg

Excerpts from the article:

The Invicta FC women’s atomweight champion will move up to strawweight to face former champion Livia Renata Souza at Invicta 22 on March 25 in Kansas City, sources told MMA Fighting on Monday. Invicta president Shannon Knapp confirmed the news and said it would be the co-main event of the card. It should be announced officially this week, she said.

The fight between Hamasaki and Souza will not be for the title, though Hill has since departed Invicta for the UFC, Knapp said. Hamasaki’s wish is to go to the UFC if she beats Souza, but she is also willing to chase a second Invicta title and defend the atomweight belt later this year on top of that, sources said.

That's going to be a good fight.

I hope Hamasaki wins. Souza had some of the weirdest interviews in the lead up to her fights. Weird gimmick, but memorable.

Should be great. Wouldn't be surprised if it's for the SW title, but I'm excited about this either way. It's tough for me to side with anyone because I love both.

Good fight but it should be for the title, even if she wins it and leaves so what. You can market it as first female going for two belts at the same time and if she wins and is double champ its more appealing to UFC.

Its 105 champ moving up to fight former 115 champ who is now best SW in the org since Hill left. You arent gonna get a better fight in the div right now.

Would've preferred to see Hamasaki give Jinh Yu Frey a rematch but Hamasaki/Souza is a good fight.

When I saw Ayaka and Jinh would be on the same card I assumed it would be a rematch, but I'm glad they're not fighting each other again.

I think Ayaka is a better fighter than Souza but she fights like she has a deathwish lately, always getting nearly-subbed or putting herself in terrible positions. Which could be a problem here.
In particular 2 of Souza's fight winning weapons (Body kick vs Bennett, Triangle vs Kankanpaa) nearly finished Ayaka recently (body kick + guillotine from Tiburcio, triangle (x2) from Brown). She ate a few body kicks vs Frey too.

Prediction: Hamasaki by seven-hundred and twenty degree spinning tornado kick KO

I'm the only one who think Souza will win?

Did Hamasaki fight 115 in jewel? Her wiki says 114 but it also says lw which i thought was 106.

Did Hamasaki fight 115 in jewel? Her wiki says 114 but it also says lw which i thought was 106.

She fought at 115 (or the near-equivalent 52kg in Japan) until her only loss to Gadelha (an enormous weight cutter) drove her to 105

now she's back at one-one-five
with pep in her step

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely rooting for Hamasaki on this one.
Just hope she isn't too undersized.

Back