AXE KICK

bruh, right in teh feelz.

I remember being laid off, was the best 6 months of my life. Training 2x a day, 6 days a week. Getting 10h of sleep everyday. My TDEE jumped to 3500 calories. Soon as I got to working again, I couldn't do the 2x a day as often since it would mean I'd be getting 4-5h sleep a night. Then the drop in activity level dropped my TDEE

Work took away my ability to pig out more!

I swear, I'm gonna do an arrangement where I work for a couple of years, then take 1-2 years off to trane then repeat.

Back in the days of the Empire when Britannia still ruled Hong Kong (still had the lease going). I knew an older guy that would work bars in Hong Kong for 3 months a year to go live it up in Thailand for 6 - 9 months......oh to live in the days of privileged wages and crazy exchange rates, I could have trained Muay Thai to my hearts content.

+1 on being laid off and collecting unemployment for 6 months. I was also training 2x a day, 5-6 days a week back in 2001-2002. I had the time of my life like Patrick Swayze.

As for the arrangement, I swear I want to do what this guy is doing whom I met at the auto mechanic's one day. I met this American dude who has a residence visa in Vietnam but he owns a few properties here in the States. What he does is come to the states for 3 month stretches at a time to handle some important work concerning his properties and collecting his money and spends the other 9 months in Vietnam living it up and enjoying their lower cost of living. But Vietnam wouldn't be my destination choice though. I'd rather go to Thailand or Taiwan. The only thing that makes it difficult for me is that this dude is married to a Vietnamese woman which I'm sure made it easier for him to obtain his residence visa. But I'm already married. So I'm either going to have divorce my wife or practice polygamy. What do you guys think? <Moves>

Last edited:
Btw, @shincheckin the late Andy Hug was a Kyokushin fighter who was known for his axe kick. He used it quite a lot during his knockdown Karate and K-1 kickboxing career. Here are two training tutorials where he demonstrates (among other techniques) his axe kick and how he used to train it.

+1 on being laid off and collecting unemployment for 6 months. I was also training 2x a day, 5-6 days a week back in 2001-2002. I had the time of my life like Patrick Swayze.

As for the arrangement, I swear I want to do what this guy is doing whom I met at the auto mechanic's one day. I met this American dude who has a residence visa in Vietnam but he owns a few properties here in the States. What he does is come to the states for 3 month stretches at a time to handle some important work concerning his properties and collecting his money and spends the other 9 months in Vietnam living it up and enjoying their lower cost of living. But Vietnam wouldn't be my destination choice though. I'd rather go to Thailand or Taiwan. The only thing that makes it difficult for me is that this dude is married to a Vietnamese woman which I'm sure made it easier for him to obtain his residence visa. But I'm already married. So I'm either going to have divorce my wife or practice polygamy. What do you guys think? <Moves>

As the saying goes......a woman in every port.....just get the wife to start watching "Sister Wives"......until she see the practical side of polygamy......;)

You can practice in the bag. If you have tkd pads its better to work it.

When I did tkd back in the day. I prefers the inside to outside, but outside is fine you can sell it like a regular body kick or teep and crush down from above

I never knew the alpha male on sherdog did TKD. Was it legit shit?

something like that is easily do able if you dont have kids, would be easier without a wife/gf...but the hold up would be owning properties. Depending on your line of work, and whether you have a free place to stay, like parents home for example, the same thing could be down without owning property, just work in the US and work for 3 months saving all that money, than thailand for 9 months, then repeat.

another really cool thing to do if I was still young with no responsibilities would be a flight attendant. You get to travel around the world for free, they get paid ok, and theres no housing costs, so you can save quite a bit of money. work 3 months, take 9 off.

what a glorious thing UI is. was on it my first time in 2017, enjoyed my much needed break. I suppose if you wanted to cheat the system, you could live in thailand while on UI as well.

upload_2018-4-10_8-23-55.jpeg

Btw, @shincheckin the late Andy Hug was a Kyokushin fighter who was known for his axe kick. He used it quite a lot during his knockdown Karate and K-1 kickboxing career. Here are two training tutorials where he demonstrates (among other techniques) his axe kick and how he used to train it.

thanks dude thats pretty helpfull stuff right there.

what a glorious thing UI is. was on it my first time in 2017, enjoyed my much needed break. I suppose if you wanted to cheat the system, you could live in thailand while on UI as well.

View attachment 366755
Yeah but then you gots to pay the gubbermint 2 taxes. You're essentially getting DP'd

I never knew the alpha male on sherdog did TKD. Was it legit shit?
Most people who are in combat sports now for the most part did a TMA growing up. They were competing and medalled usually so it was legit imo.

I actually had problems of old habits of pre-pivoting when I first went to MMA and MT because of it.

Yeah but then you gots to pay the gubbermint 2 taxes. You're essentially getting DP'd

9764d4c22d87afaea63c6d5cbbc29f652c31dec64f244921983c0ae3055be66c.jpg

As the saying goes......a woman in every port.....just get the wife to start watching "Sister Wives"......until she see the practical side of polygamy......;)

How long after I get her to watch that should I move another woman into the house to get my wife acclimated to the new arrangement?

It ain't cheating if you don't get caught
-Ghandi

Nah, I wasn't going to cheat. I'm going to do this right in front her. And if she acts like she wants to leave me, well, there's this...

he-sent-a-pic-of-duct-tape-a-knife-then-left-a-voicemail-saying-if-i-cant-have-you-no-one-can-how-romantic-acff7.png

Depending on your line of work, and whether you have a free place to stay, like parents home for example, the same thing could be down without owning property, just work in the US and work for 3 months saving all that money, than thailand for 9 months, then repeat.

latest

You may be on to something and you definitely got my curiosity and creative juices flowing.

Hell Yeah!!! Since we all like to joke a lot on sherdog some of you probably think I'm bullshittin'. I'm as serious as AIDS when I say that I'm going to come up with a plan to do this. We only live once fellas so Fuck It!

Last edited:
How long after I get her to watch that should I move another woman into the house to get my wife acclimated to the new arrangement?

Nah, I wasn't going to cheat. I'm going to do this right in front her. And if she acts like she wants to leave me, well, there's this...

he-sent-a-pic-of-duct-tape-a-knife-then-left-a-voicemail-saying-if-i-cant-have-you-no-one-can-how-romantic-acff7.png

latest

You may be on to something and you definitely got my curiosity and creative juices flowing.

Hell Yeah!!! Since we all like to joke a lot on sherdog some of you probably think I'm bullshittin'. I'm as serious as AIDS when I say that I'm going to come up with a plan to do this. We only live once fellas so Fuck It!

do it man, all those things I mentioned I would do if I could, and wasnt locked into life with a house job wife and resposibilites.

if your young and free, do it.

do it man, all those things I mentioned I would do if I could, and wasnt locked into life with a house job wife and resposibilites.

if your young and free, do it.

I'm not young or free but I'm serious when I say "Fuck it, we only live once". Sell the house and look into seasonal type jobs that pay good OR the kind of jobs that pay good but is a revolving door due to the work and things people have to deal with. I can put up with a stressful job for 3 months as long as it has kick ass pay. Really the only thing that can realistically keep me from doing this is that I have kids. I would have to wait until they're all grown and living their own lives before I do this. But my wife and I have always agreed that when the kids are grown and living their own adult lives that she and I would leave the U.S. and live out the rest of our days elsewhere and/or do all of the traveling that we can.

latest

It doesn't work like that:( you need to buy her a house next door and share your time equally between house holds and then hear them bitch about how her next door has a bigger ring ( I don't mean the chocolate starfish variety).......women are very jealous creatures......

Stick to a woman in a different port.......pretend you have an over seas business must be somewhere the wife would never go, Siberian.....etc

I'm not young or free but I'm serious when I say "Fuck it, we only live once". Sell the house and look into seasonal type jobs that pay good OR the kind of jobs that pay good but is a revolving door due to the work and things people have to deal with. I can put up with a stressful job for 3 months as long as it has kick ass pay. Really the only thing that can realistically keep me from doing this is that I have kids. I would have to wait until they're all grown and living their own lives before I do this. But my wife and I have always agreed that when the kids are grown and living their own adult lives that she and I would leave the U.S. and live out the rest of our days elsewhere and/or do all of the traveling that we can.

i hear you, but once the kids are on their own, what age will you be? 55 years old moving to thailand to fight muay thai? 55 yrs old to retire in thailand makes more sense. Alot of people are retiring outside of the us. that $1500 a month retirement does nothing in the US, specifically cali, you could live in a van comfortably on $1500 a month in the US, while in thailand, that same amount of money, would equate to a similar lifestyle of someone in the US on maybe 3000-4000 a month.

appearently hua hin is one of the best and cheapest areas to live, and sitjaopho is located in hua hin, so double whammy.

i hear you, but once the kids are on their own, what age will you be? 55 years old moving to thailand to fight muay thai? 55 yrs old to retire in thailand makes more sense. Alot of people are retiring outside of the us. that $1500 a month retirement does nothing in the US, specifically cali, you could live in a van comfortably on $1500 a month in the US, while in thailand, that same amount of money, would equate to a similar lifestyle of someone in the US on maybe 3000-4000 a month.

appearently hua hin is one of the best and cheapest areas to live, and sitjaopho is located in hua hin, so double whammy.

Oh no, I wouldn't be going there to fight. My fighting days are over. I would just live a quiet life and continue my training. I'm aware of 2 Ashihara dojos in Thailand, one of them is either independent or possibly a NIKO dojo (the organization I train under) and the other one is a member of an organization whose honbu is in South Africa. Hell, I may be able to teach Karate there if the interest in it is really there. I am also aware of a Zendokai Karate gym in Thailand and I'm not above continuing my own training with them if push comes to shove. There's also a Zendokai Karate/mma gym in Taiwan which is another country I would love to visit and train in.

Btw, the Zendokai Karate I'm referring to is not the one based in New Zealand under the gentleman whose last name is Norton I believe. The one I'm referring to is a totally different and unrelated art that is an offshoot of Kudo/Daido Juku and the honbu is in Japan.

Oh no, I wouldn't be going there to fight. My fighting days are over. I would just live a quiet life and continue my training. I'm aware of 2 Ashihara dojos in Thailand, one of them is either independent or possibly a NIKO dojo (the organization I train under) and the other one is a member of an organization whose honbu is in South Africa. Hell, I may be able to teach Karate there if the interest in it is really there. I am also aware of a Zendokai Karate gym in Thailand and I'm not above continuing my own training with them if push comes to shove. There's also a Zendokai Karate/mma gym in Taiwan which is another country I would love to visit and train in.

Btw, the Zendokai Karate I'm referring to is not the one based in New Zealand under the gentleman whose last name is Norton I believe. The one I'm referring to is a totally different and unrelated art that is an offshoot of Kudo/Daido Juku and the honbu is in Japan.

i really dont know much about karate other than the kyokushin. I know that with karate, instead of saying kick, you say it in japanese, mawashi geri or whatever, but im not trying to learn japanese just like i dont speak thai when I say "kick" lol. but yeah dude i know theres alot of other styles of karate and im sure i see them on youtube and dont even know it. Basically, ill be on youtube and happen across some kind of karate stuff and I can see what is usefull and what is not and just sorta pick n choose what i would like to learn. to me, it seems like karate is much more structured than muay thai, and it goes into detail and breaking down alot of things your expect to just learn on your own in MT. Its like karate has a very solid foundation of all the basics, and drilling them.

i like this gkr karate guy

i really dont know much about karate other than the kyokushin. I know that with karate, instead of saying kick, you say it in japanese, mawashi geri or whatever, but im not trying to learn japanese just like i dont speak thai when I say "kick" lol. but yeah dude i know theres alot of other styles of karate and im sure i see them on youtube and dont even know it. Basically, ill be on youtube and happen across some kind of karate stuff and I can see what is usefull and what is not and just sorta pick n choose what i would like to learn. to me, it seems like karate is much more structured than muay thai, and it goes into detail and breaking down alot of things your expect to just learn on your own in MT. Its like karate has a very solid foundation of all the basics, and drilling them.

i like this gkr karate guy

Inb4 weaboo

to me, it seems like karate is much more structured than muay thai, and it goes into detail and breaking down alot of things your expect to just learn on your own in MT. Its like karate has a very solid foundation of all the basics, and drilling them.

I'll be very honest with you, I never wanted to be a professional competitor. My first fascination with Karate (at the impressionable age of 14) was always 1) self protection and 2) the idea of mastering a fascinating and complex art and doing amazing things with my own body that a lot of people cannot do.

As of late that 2nd reason has been growing bigger and bigger to the point where it almost completely overshadows the 1st motivation and I wish to spend the rest of my days learning and trying to master everything that has to do with Karate including exploring, learning and incorporating ideas, drills, fighting philosophies from other styles of Karate.

As for self defense/self protection, my formula is basically:

1). Awareness
2). Avoidance and hard targeting
3). Deescalation
4). Preemptive attack
5). Prioritize the use of weapons and tools over empty handed combat
6). Do just enough to stop the threat and get the hell out of there (no need to go over board or stick around)

Back