AXE KICK

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I figured I better axe somebody about the axe kick.

When you throw it, I know to hit with either the heel, or with ball of foot, targets would be head or shoulder/clavicle, but what I am wondering is which way do you bring it up? I was told to bring it inside and over, but it seems to me i would jam my foot doing that, I was trying to bring it around.

Im orthodox stance, and for this example, well say using the right kick, which way should the arc go?

like this: (| or like this |)

also how can I practice it by myself other than just shadow boxing it? I would like to have some kinda target to hit.

You can practice in the bag. If you have tkd pads its better to work it.

When I did tkd back in the day. I prefers the inside to outside, but outside is fine you can sell it like a regular body kick or teep and crush down from above

You can practice in the bag. If you have tkd pads its better to work it.

When I did tkd back in the day. I prefers the inside to outside, but outside is fine you can sell it like a regular body kick or teep and crush down from above

how can you do it on the bag?

cool, so i can learn and use both ways than. I have gotten the jumping scissor teep down ok, comfortable enough to use it in a couple fights now, also not sure if this is the correct name, but the jumping switch kick as well, but it was pretty sloppy, distance was off, needs work. lastly, a jumping rear leg axe kick seems like it will really fuck some shit up.

how can you do it on the bag?

cool, so i can learn and use both ways than. I have gotten the jumping scissor teep down ok, comfortable enough to use it in a couple fights now, also not sure if this is the correct name, but the jumping switch kick as well, but it was pretty sloppy, distance was off, needs work. lastly, a jumping rear leg axe kick seems like it will really fuck some shit up.
Its tougher on the bag, but doable

Basically aim headkick height and stay at a distance where you can get the ball of the foot to contact you'll be hanging there shortly (duenti the bag in the way) but its your contact range.

If its mma it'll be more troubling, but striking I think you'll be fine

Never been taught in MT, never have thrown it, or been thrown at in MT... But in TKD... Man those fuckers like to use it.
Specially my trainer has a very nasty one... And he can use it from any distance. You think you are far enough for it, and suddenly you see a "wave" coming at you from above... Or you are in a clinching distance, and out of nowhere you have a heel striking your forehead.

Both outside and intside methods are used. I have a preference for the inside one, because that motion feels more powerful to me, but it's strictly personal.

2 ways to land it:
-Once you reach the desired height, you either snap the knee back down, targeting the sole of the foot to the face. This is mostly done for speed, and it makes a great humiliating sound, making sure you take those points. You also have a better balance. But you don't make as much damage, and the distance is smaller.
-Or you bring your entire leg back down, almost keeping it straight. You hit with the heel, either the head or the clavicles. Slower, more damage, easier to loose balance.

I advise you also to train it with a partner that will catch it on his shoulder... It happens a lot of times, and you end in a bad situation...

Also drill it from various distances... You can use it from very close (if you have good flexibility), or from far away with some kind of step, fake switches etc...

You can drill it on the heavy bag... Just try it a lil bit, and you will get the hang of it. The leg is raised outside the bag, going up and in front, then you drop it. Obviously the landing will not have the same feeling, but it's good enough:

But i found that the best way to drill that kick, is on a double-end bag. And in general, for almost all kind of kicks (except the MT heavy roundhouse), the double-end bag is a great tool for solo training. You drill precision, but you can also feel the power from the bag's feedback. From the MT teep, to spinning hook kicks, side kicks, axe kicks etc...

Last edited:
I figured I better axe somebody about the axe kick.

When you throw it, I know to hit with either the heel, or with ball of foot, targets would be head or shoulder/clavicle, but what I am wondering is which way do you bring it up? I was told to bring it inside and over, but it seems to me i would jam my foot doing that, I was trying to bring it around.

Im orthodox stance, and for this example, well say using the right kick, which way should the arc go?

like this: (| or like this |)

also how can I practice it by myself other than just shadow boxing it? I would like to have some kinda target to hit.

Sparring Bob makes a good target to practice on.....

Never been it taught in MT, never have thrown it, or been thrown at in MT... But in TKD... Man those fuckers like to use it.
Specially my trainer has a very nasty one... And he can use it from any distance. You think you are far enough for it, and suddenly you see a "wave" coming at you from above... Or you are in a clinching distance, and out of nowhere you have a heel striking your forehead.

Both outside and outside methods are used. I have a preference for the inside one, because that motion feels more powerful to me, but it's strictly personal.

2 ways to land it:
-Once you reach the desired height, you either snap the knee back down, targeting the sole of the foot to the face. This is mostly done for speed, and it makes a great humiliating sound, making sure you take those points. You also have a better balance. But you don't make as much damage, and the distance is smaller.
-Or you bring your entire leg back down, almost keeping it straight. You hit with the heel, either the head or the clavicles. Slower, more damage, easier to loose balance.

I advise you also to train it with a partner that will catch it on his shoulder... It happens a lot of times, and you end in a bad situation...

Also drill it from various distances... You can use it from very close (if you have good flexibility), or from far away with some kind of step, fake switches etc...

You can drill it on the heavy bag... Just try it a lil bit, and you will get the hang of it. The leg is raised outside the bag, going up and in front, then you drop it. Obviously the landing will not have the same feeling, but it's good enough:

But i found that the best way to drill that kick, is on a double-end bag. And in general, for almost all kind of kicks (except the MT heavy roundhouse), the double-end bag is a great tool for solo training. You drill precision, but you can also feel the power from the bag's feedback. From the MT teep, to spinning hook kicks, side kicks, axe kicks etc...

awesome dude, thanks for sharing and posting that!

The double end bag aye? I have both the standard, and double double end bag (peanut shape). Kicking the double end bag has always been something I thought of, but never done. it seems to kick it, you would have to do a karate style kick. I have tried to find vids of people kicking the double end bag, but cannot. I can also recall a long time ago, seeing a "karate" double end bag, that was kinda square in shape, cant seem to find that again either.

it seems to kick it, you would have to do a karate style kick.

A MT mid roundhouse with full rotation wont do it, but a high "snapping" one can be trained just fine on it. Same for all of the kicks having a snap motion, and not a "go through" with circular motion... But you can also drill some straight ones, like the side kick or even the teep.
Honestly i found it a great help to level up my teep. You will immediately feel if its more of a pushing type of teep, instead of a spearing striking one.
It will also make wonders for your balance, since you cannot rely on the heavy bag, or pad holder, to absorb your momentum+weight.
And as i said before, it also helps a lot for precision. On the heavy bag, you don't need to be very precise, you just blast away in the general area... On the double end tho, you will clearly feel it if you go a bit lower/higher or even too deep/narrow on it.

I have tried to find vids of people kicking the double end bag, but cannot.

I don't know anyone who does it... Never seen it either. Usually, only boxing gyms have double end bags, and those guys are not coordinate enough to use their feet for something else than just walking around the ring...
Don't think I've ever saw one on a "kicking art" gym... Don't know, man... For me it's a great tool, specially for solo practicing.
But if no ones else use it, they might have a good reason..

NAH, just joking, everybody else are just a bunch of looser... They don't know shit...
No seriously tho, try it, and let me know. Am curious about your feedback on it...

PS: You can also drill clinching knees on it, just don't put too much weight on it with your plum.

Last edited:
Sparring Bob makes a good target to practice on.....

Those thinks are goddamn expensive tho, at least in my neck of the woods. 600 euros or 800 euros with the thighs if you want the luxury to low kick... I can build a ring with that kind of money...

(yeah yeah j123, i know, i sound poor... fak off and go bother Andy since his back)

Those thinks are goddamn expensive tho, at least in my neck of the woods. 600 euros or 800 euros with the thighs if you want the luxury to low kick... I can build a ring with that kind of money...

(yeah yeah j123, i know, i sound poor... fak off and go bother Andy since his back)
Speak in 'merican bud

You sound poor

800 is around 1000 dollars you lazy American fatass...

Second hand.............they can be pretty cheap. I think he has the equipment to low kick already..........;)

What part of Euroland are you from......

I travel around, right now I'm in the Balkans...
Here the chances to find a second hand bob are pretty low... Few gyms have them, and usually, they are not willing to let them go.
Those things cost 2 times the minimum wage around here... and most of the population is not even on it, working on black labor.

A MT mid roundhouse with full rotation wont do it, but a high "snapping" one can be trained just fine on it. Same for all of the kicks having a snap motion, and not a "go through" with circular motion... But alsoyou can also drill some straight ones, like the side kick or even the teep.
Honestly i found it a great help to level up my teep. You will immediately feel if its more of a pushing type of teep, instead of a spearing striking one.
It will also make wonders for your balance, since you cannot rely on the heavy bag, or pad holder, to absorb your momentum+weight.
And as i said before, it also helps a lot for precision. On the heavy bag, you don't need to be very precise, you just blast away in the general area... On the double end tho, you will clearly feel it if you go a bit lower/higher or even too deep/narrow on it.

I don't know anyone who does it... Never seen it either. Usually, only boxing gyms have double end bags, and those guys are not coordinate enough to use their feet for something else than just walking around the ring...
Don't think I've ever saw one on a "kicking art" gym... Don't know, man... For me it's a great tool, specially for solo practicing.
But if no ones else use it, they might have a good reason..

NAH, just joking, everybody else are just a bunch of looser... They don't know shit...
No seriously tho, try it, and let me know. Am curious about your feedback on it...

PS: You can also drill clinching knees on it, just don't put too much weight on it with your plum.

soon as I get back to training, lol. life has me derailed at the moment. I got alot of bidness to handle, you know all the shit you put to the side cause your too busy training lol.

I did try it a couple of times before, nothing to serious, but yeah my teep is much more of a push than a strike.

Life... What a bitch...

yeah dude, if we were to make a pyramid of life, like the food pyramid, MT is at the top with the candies. Shelter, food, clothing, job, have always gotten in the way of my training.

soon as I get back to training, lol. life has me derailed at the moment. I got alot of bidness to handle, you know all the shit you put to the side cause your too busy training lol.

Life... What a bitch...

yeah dude, if we were to make a pyramid of life, like the food pyramid, MT is at the top with the candies. Shelter, food, clothing, job, have always gotten in the way of my training.

I feel you bruh. Life feels like that cock blocker that won't let you have a love affair with your training. I'm in that same boat and I really wish I could tell life to go kick rocks.

I feel you bruh. Life feels like that cock blocker that won't let you have a love affair with your training. I'm in that same boat and I really wish I could tell life to go kick rocks.

Shame combat sports don't have the same funding as the Arts in some countries........

bruh, right in teh feelz.

I remember being laid off, was the best 6 months of my life. Training 2x a day, 6 days a week. Getting 10h of sleep everyday. My TDEE jumped to 3500 calories. Soon as I got to working again, I couldn't do the 2x a day as often since it would mean I'd be getting 4-5h sleep a night. Then the drop in activity level dropped my TDEE

Work took away my ability to pig out more!

I swear, I'm gonna do an arrangement where I work for a couple of years, then take 1-2 years off to trane then repeat.

Shame combat sports don't have the same funding as the Arts in some countries........
We have performing arts funding here. The only thing that's good for is prepping poon up to slay a couple of hours later.

Martial arts is arts, its a performing art, but there's no funding. :(

Back in the days of the Empire when Britannia still ruled Hong Kong (still had the lease going). I knew an older guy that would work bars in Hong Kong for 3 months a year to go live it up in Thailand for 6 - 9 months......oh to live in the days of privileged wages and crazy exchange rates, I could have trained Muay Thai to my hearts content.

Back