Avoiding the 4 Grip Pushing Match

Hiero18

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm just a white belt about 6 months in, and at the beginning of the match I'm getting frustrated by how often I seem to end up in the "both guys have two grips and spend half the time pushing" situation.

I know pulling guard would be an option to get around this, but I'm more comfortable playing top at the moment, so I'm trying to work on making my takedowns more efficient.

Other than blasting a double leg before any grips are set, how does one avoid getting stuck here? Is the idea to go for a take down the second that your first grip is set, so that they don't have time to settle in and grab you back?

Thanks!

ask for it.

you mean on your knees or standing up?

midget wrestling is ridiculous, you should either sit on your ass, or stand up. If you want to play on top, just ask your partner to sit so you can work on your passing.

ask for it.

you mean on your knees or standing up?

midget wrestling is ridiculous, you should either sit on your ass, or stand up. If you want to play on top, just ask your partner to sit so you can work on your passing.

I mean when standing up. When we're training match openings, it seems like the bigger guys like myself just get tangled up with each other and push. Probably because we are both trying to play top.

So, besides pulling guard -- which I get would be a different way to handle the scenario -- I'm looking for advice on how best to avoid the situation in terms of takedown setups.

I mean when standing up. When we're training match openings, it seems like the bigger guys like myself just get tangled up with each other and push. Probably because we are both trying to play top.

So, besides pulling guard -- which I get would be a different way to handle the scenario -- I'm looking for advice on how best to avoid the situation in terms of takedown setups.

shit, thats some judo shit you want to know lol... some of the judo boys here will be able to help you...

You need to learn grip fighting, do more tachiwaza. At least a few rounds during every classes.

Grip first. Control their sleeves do not let them control your collar. If you are tall, I suggest overhand grip. Basically, go and train judo if they don't teach that stuff at your current service provider.

"Rolling has a way of putting you in the position you deserve to be in."

Short answer, go train Judo.

Longer answer, get a couple throws in your back pocket and drill them until they are adequate enough to take your training partner down. Try to have at least one 'forward' and one 'backward' throw in your arsenal. That'll give you some flexibility to throw wherever the other guy is leaning his weight, and let you spam back and forth between your takedowns until one works.

Think about the grips you want to have for either one of these throws, and always be working toward them. (getting on youtube and searcing 'this throw grip fighting' will get you started on how) That means you use grip breaks, circling movement, etc. to keep your partner off balance while seeking to better your position. Once you have that position you like, throw. If it doesn't work, try again. Throw them the way their balance is broken.

Here's some videos from Jimmy Pedro to start you off.

You're a 6 month BJJ white belt, so you're going to be throwing by rote for now. 'Grip A goes to Footwork B + Leg Does This Thingy = Hopefully a Takedown' level of shit. That's fine, but to progress you're going to need to spend a lot of time training stand-up and getting into a conceptual mindset to throwing.

To start you off with that; every Judoka is taught that there are three components to any throw
Kuzushi (The Unbalancing) which gets the guy unbalanced in the way you want to throw him.

Tsukuri (the Positioning) which gets you into a powerful, ready position giving you the optimal body mechanics for a throw)

Kake (The Finishing Action) which is the movement needed to execute the throw and put Uke dome first into the tatami.

Keep this in mind when training takedowns. The best way to get good at this shit is to train Judo. Until then, read everything this guy here has written. (no, it's not my blog)

https://thedifficultway.blogspot.ca/2011/01/why-this-blog-exists.html

Start at the first post and read it through. Hope it works out.

I'm just a white belt about 6 months in, and at the beginning of the match I'm getting frustrated by how often I seem to end up in the "both guys have two grips and spend half the time pushing" situation.

I know pulling guard would be an option to get around this, but I'm more comfortable playing top at the moment, so I'm trying to work on making my takedowns more efficient.

Other than blasting a double leg before any grips are set, how does one avoid getting stuck here? Is the idea to go for a take down the second that your first grip is set, so that they don't have time to settle in and grab you back?

Thanks!

There's a lot. You can change your stance to prevent allowing the 2nd grip to be made-- for starters.

You could also grab your opponents lapel, while standing, and pull him/her forward to enter into a half guard.

I'd suggest you work on your guard pull-- then fake guard pull-- into ankle pick. This is done all with one hand on your partners collar.

The Jimmy Pedro grip stuff above is stuff I work on in my own training.

It's tough as a BJJ guy to develop awesome Judo throw timing, but dominating the grips from standing seems like an easier goal to achieve. And I know from experience that it works well in BJJ matches, even fairly high level ones.

Find a local wrestling coach and do privates. A friend of mine and I started doing privates, an hour every other week. Few months later all I do is get td's.

Back