Avoiding breaking leg while kicking

telomere

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you make of what happened to Corey Hill's leg? was it luck? did he have bad form? s there a proper way to throw a leg kick to avoid that happening to you? are his legs just too thin?
is this just part of the game and if you dont want to take the risk dont do muay thai?

Strong part of the shin is the front. make sure to turn your kicks over. you can look at your leg like a sword. you aim the sharp part of the blade at your target. if you hit something with the flat side of a sword, it'll snap. I'm sure there are still freak accidents, but this technique will help prevent injury.

Also, don't be such a skinny ass dude if you plan on kicking stuff really hard. dude has sticks for legs.

People are going to say "technique this, conditioning that" yada yada yada

but at the end of the day it's a freak accident.

how many times has this happened? Once in MMA, a couple times in MT? I'm sure Hill could have avoided that injury through some sequence of events during his fight and his training leading up to it, but how the hell would you go about scientifically verifying any of these hypotheses?

After all, people break their arms falling sometimes (a la Shogun v. Coleman) - did Shogun do anything wrong? Maybe. But more than likely just a freak accident

I've seen it happen 3 times in MMA (Pele in TKO, and some guy at an early Cage Rage), and once in kickboxing. Probably many other times I don't know about.

You know i got some size on Corey but im sick of people saying its cause he's thin...gimme a break, what's he supposed to do build some sort of freak muscle in front of his shin bone? kick rox w/that crap..

To OP i think that would be "VERY VERY BAD LUCK"
hope Corey can come back!

You know i got some size on Corey but im sick of people saying its cause he's thin...gimme a break, what's he supposed to do build some sort of freak muscle in front of his shin bone? kick rox w/that crap..

To OP i think that would be "VERY VERY BAD LUCK"
hope Corey can come back!

Agreed, it's a freak accident and that's just the way he's built. A guy like that can do all the calf exercises known to man and the legs will still look like twigs.

He's slight and small boned, but so are many fighters - most thai boxers - and a break like that is a pretty rare occurrence.

And yes, best of luck to Corey for a speedy recovery.

No but he could build up the muscles of his legs so they could absorb more of the shock from the check.

No but he could build up the muscles of his legs so they could absorb more of the shock from the check.

Calves are really a genetic thing. Just visit a bodybuilding forum and they will tell you. Some people can grow their calves and some can't. He's a guy that probably has very strong calves despite their appearance. A lot of pro basketball players with massive vertical have diminutive looking calves as well. I'd think it's safe to say that Corey was as highly trained and as strong as he could physically be for the fight. This wasn't a small town amateur bout, right?

Again, freak accident /thread

I've witnessed breakages from much, much, much lower contact things than that. Shit happens unfortuantely. Best wishes for Corey's recovery.

He hit the front of the knee with the shin...those 2 usually don't mix well..and just shitty luck..pull your panties out of your asses and keep training..lol

QFS (Quoted For Stupidity)

I lulz at all you fucks that say he is too skinny and he needs "bigger calves" (are you fucking shitting me?! LOL!) and shit. Its quite obvious that none of the people who've posted on here train Muay Thai. For the record the kids in Thailand that fight are skinny as fuck and kick full fucking force all while their opponent takes the full brunt of the impact on their shin trying to block it. No breakage whatsoever. That's because there in fact IS conditioning. Its shin bone conditioning. Part of the conditioning in Muay Thai is kicking pads or a banana bag for several rounds. Not only does this work on technique and power but the impact of the shin to the pad or bag creates tiny fractures in the shin bone. When it heals, it fills up those fractures with calcium deposits making the shin bone stronger. Go to YouTube and do a search on Muay Thai and watch a Muay Thai fight between two Thai fighters and you will see what I'm talking about. Do a search on Muay Thai shin conditioning and you will see. I would post it but my work blocked YouTube.

I lulz at all you fucks that say he is too skinny and he needs "bigger calves" (are you fucking shitting me?! LOL!) and shit. Its quite obvious that none of the people who've posted on here train Muay Thai. For the record the kids in Thailand that fight are skinny as fuck and kick full fucking force all while their opponent takes the full brunt of the impact on their shin trying to block it. No breakage whatsoever. That's because there in fact IS conditioning. Its shin bone conditioning. Part of the conditioning in Muay Thai is kicking pads or a banana bag for several rounds. Not only does this work on technique and power but the impact of the shin to the pad or bag creates tiny fractures in the shin bone. When it heals, it fills up those fractures with calcium deposits making the shin bone stronger. Go to YouTube and do a search on Muay Thai and watch a Muay Thai fight between two Thai fighters and you will see what I'm talking about. Do a search on Muay Thai shin conditioning and you will see. I would post it but my work blocked YouTube.

What you state is fact about the conditioning..but i think even a conditioned bone can have a freak accident..look at Pele hes been doing MT long time and fighting long time and his shit just snapped one day. I could be mistaken but i think Corey has some pro MT fights as well so he could have been doing MT a while too, granted not since he was nine though, just sayin

What you state is fact about the conditioning..but i think even a conditioned bone can have a freak accident..look at Pele hes been doing MT long time and fighting long time and his shit just snapped one day. I could be mistaken but i think Corey has some pro MT fights as well so he could have been doing MT a while too, granted not since he was nine though, just sayin

Not saying that its not possible even with shin conditioning. I'm just saying that conditioning can be done for shins for those who say it can't or need to work on their calves or build muscle in their skinny legs LMAO!!!

The hardest part of the leg is just under the knee at the top of the shin because that is where the shin is the thickest and the sharpest. The weakest part of the shin is right in the middle of the shin bone and when that part hits the top of the shin it hurts like a motherfucker, even with shin pads on. I had a nice little dent in my shin for a couple of days but now when I run my fingers down my shin, there is a small lump from the calcium filling in that spot.

Not saying that its not possible even with shin conditioning. I'm just saying that conditioning can be done for shins for those who say it can't or need to work on their calves or build muscle in their skinny legs LMAO!!!

The hardest part of the leg is just under the knee at the top of the shin because that is where the shin is the thickest and the sharpest. The weakest part of the shin is right in the middle of the shin bone and when that part hits the top of the shin it hurts like a motherfucker, even with shin pads on. I had a nice little dent in my shin for a couple of days but now when I run my fingers down my shin, there is a small lump from the calcium filling in that spot.

lol im glad someone else thought this was hilarious because it made me LMAO too

If you get a broken nose you should just flair your nostrils more, right? Build up the muscle on it?

Fuck yeah and shit. Fuck.

We dont know if Coreys shin was bruised as fuck prior in training, but that certainly could have contributed to it. And I agree it is somewhat of a freak thing but I have seen more of these breaks in recent years. But if you dont think having shins like twigs has anything to do with it you are fucking retarded and shit. Fuck. Its basic physics, if im heavier and have more musckles in my legs not only are my muskles bigger, but it makes the tendons and bones stronger and thicker too. Of course,its still possible to have this happen, and I actually think that Corey should have been kicking higher and shit. But coming in at 140 pounds close to 7 feet tall is not normal. I know he does that becasue i gives him a reach advantage but it also makes him skinny as hell. Just look at the size of his foot, its huge compared to his tiny-ass ankle and shin and shit.

So yeah its not the only thing that made his shin break but it sure as fuck doenst help. And shit.

If you get a broken nose you should just flair your nostrils more, right? Build up the muscle on it?
LMFAO.
Winner. End of thread.

It's easy, you just have to grow thicker bones. Drink a lot of milk. Just kidding. When hard kicks gets checked, bad things happen to even very strong bones. It's a dangerous game, man.

It's easy, you just have to grow thicker bones. Drink a lot of milk. Just kidding. When hard kicks gets checked, bad things happen to even very strong bones. It's a dangerous game, man.

Back