Average salary for an NBA player is 6.4 mil. The average for an NHL player is 2.4 mil.

fighters show up and do their job only once or twice a year NHL and NBA player do it few times a week!
yeah, fighters should get 1/82 of the average NBA salary I guess. good point. 10 or 12 grand a year would probably be about right.

How economically productive is the average MMA fighter compared to the average NBA player?

Silly argument. So many of the things you guys are talking about are immaterial to the bottom line.

T

you're not using his words appropriately.

ask dana if the ufc generates more money than soccer or football. ask him if the ufc has a bigger fanbase.

he'd say no. you are using one soundbite from years ago and using it incorrectly.
Did he say it yes or no?

Did you just say the sport of MMA did not exist until fighters "listed" it in their "bios"? I did not think it was possible for you to actually say anything even dumber than you had before... I was wrong.

By the way, that ending...lol...loser much? Inbred level idiots do not determine who "wins or loses" and only a moron thinks winning on the internet holds meaning. Bye, clown.

Hahaha you are one pathetic clown. No comeback and removed most of my reply because deep inside you know you are so wrong and just scrambling. Hopefully one day you will grow up.

If even the fighters who were participating early UFCs dis not mention they were mixed martial artist they did not see themselves as such. You think all wrestlers and bjj practitioners think they are mma fighters? You would know that is not the case if you would have spent a a second in a bjj or wrestling practice.

Last edited:
The other sports don't do this as well?
Buy young talents, pay them less at first and see how they manage?

Sure, but they at least pay them enough that they can do it full time while they are employed in the game. Not the amateur hour the UFC pays. That's why you get guys like Brett 'The Wal-mart man' Rogers fighting for the HW championship.

Isn't Stipe still a non full time fighter? LOL. That's the guy with the most HW title defences in company history.

the avg. pay for boxers (low/mid level) was always "bad"

elite boxers have always made big money.

fighter A (mma) earns 50000 dollars and has to spend about 20000-40000 for other things (camps etc.).

do the math bebe.

We are not living in 1690 but in 2018 and their payment is just pathetic.

I agree they should get a lot more, but its not just the UFC its all of MMA.

Average MMA salary. 34k.

This just seems ridiculous. But team sports just kill single player sports in every area pay wise.

I'm going to edit this a bit. The minimum AHL player makes 42k a year. The average is over 90k. This is the not good enough to play in NHL league. These games are not played in big stadiums. They don't sell ppv's and they don't have any big marketing. There isn't some big fan base, just the locals going to watch a game if they have nothing else to do. This whole league basically exists for the purpose of an NHL team going through a rash of injuries and they have to find someone to fill a spot. They grab one f these guys for a few days. And in those few days these guys make some big fucking cash. They don't pay for trainers or injuries or camps. I suppose my original post was meant to make a point. If you cannot pay a fighter at LEAST an average salary to live on, and I mean also include medical and training expenses, how can you expect new fighters to show up and improve the sport year after year. It really is a dumb as shit way to run a business. It is like a guy that wants to be an egg farmer, but won't buy any chickens.

Your explanation of the AHL is very incorrect. The AHL is the second highest league in the sport and there teams are directly affiliated with the NHL team, they are the NHL teams farm team. They play in front of packed arenas (often the same one the NHL team plays in) and are very popular. (At least in Canada) This is were the big clubs send first round draft picks and other young players who aren't quite ready for the big team to develop and get used to there system as well as the league veterans go to finish out there career if they so chose.

Some players do spend there whole career here and only get the odd call up like you described but for the most part it's a developmental league to prepare guys for the next step or somewhere to go and wind down your career when you aren't quite at the highest level anymore but aren't ready to give up the game yet.

Wwe doesn’t have a union and I imagine thier average salary is 20x the average of ufc fighters

Pretty much the exact opposite
WWE pays 5-8% of revenue (UFC pays 13-17%) for 225 dates a year
They cannot even do anything without Vince approval
Far more restrictive for far less

...and the average olympian makes practically nothing. But I guess they aren't really athletes either, right Sherdog?

...and the average olympian makes practically nothing. But I guess they aren't really athletes either, right Sherdog?

This
SD is so silly
Of course UFC can pay more, but UFC fighters are certainly athletes.
We will see in 2020 how UFC's pay % is
In 2016 it was 17% of revenue
The ESPN deal begins in 2019
Lets see if it goes up

Not Conor but the UFC. You said it in your first sentence.

It has been laid out here plenty of times that the UFC rips of every single one of their fighters including Conor. They should be the "team" carrying the "weaker" ones, not making big money off their backs while over 80-90% of fighters will not be financially set after a career full of injuries and concussions.

How many UFC fights should you have to be set for life in your opinion?

This
SD is so silly
Of course UFC can pay more, but UFC fighters are certainly athletes.
We will see in 2020 how UFC's pay % is
In 2016 it was 17% of revenue
The ESPN deal begins in 2019
Lets see if it goes up

of course they can pay more - almost every company can.

My father could offer his employees more money, but they already earn more than enough.

Real Madrid could offer Ronaldo 50-70 million per year instead of 40 million per year.

MMA average money sucks.
elite mma fighter money sucks.

This is just embarrassing.

lmao @olympics ... this is a whole different story.

do you know the olympic is a competition not a sport org right? Athlete get a pay check for perf and this is it... Just like the fifa world cup, the winner ony get like 300 000k and we are talking soccer

Average MMA salary. 34k.

This just seems ridiculous. But team sports just kill single player sports in every area pay wise.

I'm going to edit this a bit. The minimum AHL player makes 42k a year. The average is over 90k. This is the not good enough to play in NHL league. These games are not played in big stadiums. They don't sell ppv's and they don't have any big marketing. There isn't some big fan base, just the locals going to watch a game if they have nothing else to do. This whole league basically exists for the purpose of an NHL team going through a rash of injuries and they have to find someone to fill a spot. They grab one f these guys for a few days. And in those few days these guys make some big fucking cash. They don't pay for trainers or injuries or camps. I suppose my original post was meant to make a point. If you cannot pay a fighter at LEAST an average salary to live on, and I mean also include medical and training expenses, how can you expect new fighters to show up and improve the sport year after year. It really is a dumb as shit way to run a business. It is like a guy that wants to be an egg farmer, but won't buy any chickens.
UFC is in its temporary golden era now, just as K1 was years ago... I see it fading away in a few decades...

UFC is in its temporary golden era now, just as K1 was years ago... I see it fading away in a few decades...

in 5-10 years no one will remember the ufc.
dana-white-twitter.jpg

The major sports attract the best athletes because of money. Rookies get millions of dollars and better endorsement deals than UFC fighters. It's that simple. MMA is a niche sport.

Thats what happens when your sport is full of rejects from other sports
Pretty much ^^^
tenor.gif

Don't forget journalists (Mike Jackson) and ex skateboarders (Jason Ellis).
After all these years, MMA still has a bush league quality. Sure we still have elite athletes, but the freakshow fights ruin the overall brand.

I think we just need to accept that MMA has peaked and is just a niche sport like Skateboarding. I'm curious to see the average salary of extreme games athletes.

How many UFC fights should you have to be set for life in your opinion?
Tough to say. But I would say a long time veteran(around 15-20 fights) with a solid top 10 to top 5 status for a while should be able to be set for life.

Not necessarily a millionair's life but without having to worry much about money while upholding a decent lifestyle. Of course they are responsible with what they do with their money.

When I look at how the UFC made like over 600 million profit last year while usually pulling weak PPV numbers (which is still used to argue how much a guy "deserves" on here) I would say that sounds reasonable.

Right now it's a big deal if a guy makes over 500k per fight and these guys have a lot of expenses for management, team, camp etc.

Back