Average reach at various heights?

OldVet61

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm approximately 6'0 tall, and have a shorter than average reach of 67 inches. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the average reach is for men of various heights.

Average reach is within a few inches either way of your total height in inches.

I'm 6'(about average) and my reach is 72''so I think somewhere around 72'' is the average.

Hm, wanted to resurrect this post to see some others input on this subject as I was thinking about it today.

I'm 5'10 and have a 70" reach.

Seems odd to me that it's that short when I stand next to a friend of mine who is also 5'10 and side by side we appear to have the same arm length, but when measured, his is 76". Sometimes I wish I had longer arms to exploit the reach advantage.

damn your 6'0 and only have 67 inches?! i'm 6'0 too but my armspan is 76 inches

Hm, wanted to resurrect this post to see some others input on this subject as I was thinking about it today.

I'm 5'10 and have a 70" reach.

Seems odd to me that it's that short when I stand next to a friend of mine who is also 5'10 and side by side we appear to have the same arm length, but when measured, his is 76". Sometimes I wish I had longer arms to exploit the reach advantage.

Wingspan (how we now measure reach) is also effected by shoulder width. I'm 6'0" with a wingspan of 6'2". I think this is due to me having broad shoulders more rather than having long arms.

As far as reach goes, having short arms often helps power and fighting in close. Mike Tyson and Rocky Marciano are the two most dominant HW champions of all time and they were both short with short arms. Also, Joe Fraizer (one of the greatest of all time) and Ricky Hatton (one of the best fighters in the world today) have short reaches for their heights.

I'm 5'9" Reach of 74" but my friend is 5'7" and a reach of 78" he has monkey arms though

^no kidding do they go down to his knees or what

average person is around 5'9 (before they exaggerate their height, lol) with reach a couple inches longer or shorter. I'm 6'0 with a 77 inch reach, guys with narrower shoulders don't have much wingspan

I think some guys are measuring incorrectly, cheating, or lying... that, or people with freakishly long arms are responding to this really proudly, so I'm going to be honest and in that, totally average. 6'0" with a 73" reach.

What is the correct way to measure reach?

I think its fist to fist. At least that makes sense....I don't know anyone who punches with their fingers.

This is from Wiki:
Reach (also known as wingspan) is the physical measurement of the length from one end of an individual's arms (measured at the fingertips) to the other when raised parallel to the ground at shoulder height. The average reach correlates to the person's height.

An above average reach is advantageous in sports such as basketball and boxing. For instance, the boxer Sonny Liston had an 84 inch reach despite being 72 inches in height. This unusually long reach allowed him to hit opposing boxers from relatively safe distances where they could not reach him.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reach_%28physical_measurement%29"

67 for 6'0 tall does seem pretty short, I'm 6'3 and my reach is 77 inches, that's not real real long, but it seems normal for my height. And I'm almost certain luc[ifer]'s right, middle finger tip to middle finger tip.

i'm 5'5 and my reach is 71' so i guess it isn't too bad

Back