Autopiloting automobiles and the right to drive

Is driving a "right"?
I'm pretty sure the government looks at it as a privilege ,which is why you can get that "right" suspended, or taken away.

This is inspired by the recent JRE podcasts. I am curious to what people think.

If it is proven scientifically that machine driving is superior to human driving, meaning that, taking all factors into account, if all vehicles on autopilot would lead to less accidents than all vehicles driven by humans, would you be willing to give up your right to operate an automobile and let machines do the job for you?

I wouldn't mind if they were truly safe, but:

• avg of all autopilot vehicles > avg of all manually driven is not the same as all autopilot vehicles safer than any manually driven. That is to say: being safer than the avg driver doesn't impress me all that much - the avg driver is a dumbfuck. I'd need something that is safer than an excellent driver (ie, me).
  • It would also have to be designed to be safe from hacking, which I don't see happening at all. Stores aren't doing shit to protect our SSNs and other PII, I don't see auto manufacturers being any more responsible about protecting cars from electronic hijack.
  • I would rather drive a 30k car myself than have to buy a 100k car that drives itself. Purchase price and repair have to be affordable. (And where is America going to come up with tons of mechanic/engineer/programmers to service cars that aren't working right or slightly damaged?)

Driving an automobile has never been a right.

If self-driving cars prove out I think it's inevitable that manually driven cars will be phased out and only kept as a hobby for use on private property. I think we are still many decades away from that reality.

Can car autopilot AI detect when a driver is sitting in a stationary car and likely to dart in front of you? Can it tell the difference between empty parked car vs. car not moving but driver is in it and ready to make sudden movement?

Can AI determine if driver looks like an immature dumbshit likely to do something stupid?

I would assume in a world with Car AI driving and driving being illegal that all the systems would be connected together and all the cars would be communicating together. If people are still allowed to drive I still think the machine would have a better success rate at avoiding the above situations. Simply by being a machine that is never distracted and will most likely have a faster reaction time than most.

I’m pretty sure the right to operate an automobile is not covered in the constitution. And yes, we are moving to automated vehicles and will eventually be 100% autonomous driving cars. By the time we get to the point of crisis where people have to decide if they want to give up the ability to drive themselves, autonomous vehicles will have become so commonplace that nobody will think anything of giving up the ability to drive themselves. It will probably become a status symbol of the power class and therefore less desirable.

I love the idea of self driving cars. Just drinking and screwing while you get taxied around.

Sounds sweet.

Self driving cars = best thing to ever happen to alcoholics.

Doesn't really matter tho cuz by 2045 we're all gonna be part of the singularity anyway.

once self driving vehicles take over, the people in that time will look back at our time in horror as they move from one place to another at hundreds of miles per hour safely with practically no chance of an accident or traffic type delays.

Can car autopilot AI detect when a driver is sitting in a stationary car and likely to dart in front of you? Can it tell the difference between empty parked car vs. car not moving but driver is in it and ready to make sudden movement?

Can AI determine if driver looks like an immature dumbshit likely to do something stupid?

When all cars are driven by automation, there won't be any humans driving so no worries about idiot drivers. Vehicles will likely communicate with each other so there won't be any pulling out when a vehicle is coming.

Back