Austrian Burqa Ban Passed into Law

Would you support a burqa ban in your own country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm talking about out right bans though. I understand there are times this may conflict in certain situations. I really believe in not infringing on freedom of speech but think there should be rules in place for not yelling fire in a crowded space, etc. There is a decent amount of case law where religious beliefs and the law conflict. I think it has to be taken on a case by case basis at that point

In no way am I saying an outright ban. If you're on private property, cool. Your friends place, your place of worship, your house..... Great.

If you want to live in a different country, respect the countries way of life.

(As a Australian it's illegal for me to be in a public place with my face covered, yet they're saying they're special and can do as they want.)
Edit- Checked with a cop I was wrong about the above paragraph, cheers to @Ruprecht learnt something new and should have known better than to not check to make sure my info was correct.
By the same token that same cop said if you go wearing that balaclava down a Queensland street every copper you pass will be pulling you over and "suggesting" you remove it immediately.

If you don't like our laws, customs or way of life why come here? That's right they come here for the way of life our culture has produced. The standard of living, the safety of our country, the quality of life and the wages earnt (or unlearnt for the benefit bludges)

Harsh but respect it or fuckoff back to where you came from.

Last edited:
In no way am I saying an outright ban. If you're on private property, cool. Your friends place, your place of worship, your house..... Great.

If you want to live in a different country, respect the countries way of life.

As a Australian it's illegal for me to be in a public place with my face covered, yet they're saying they're special and can do as they want.

If you don't like our laws, customs or way of life why come here? That's right they come here for the way of life our culture has produced. The standard of living, the safety of our country, the quality of life and the wages earnt (or unlearnt for the benefit bludges)

Harsh but respect it or fuckoff back to where you came from.

It's not illegal for you to be in a public space with your face covered. I do it all the time (motorcycle helmet with an iridium visor).
There's only certain circumstances where it's a requirement to uncover your face (including private businesses like banks and service stations), or can be legally required by police or government officials (ie to confirm identity, and for government officials that's a recent change in legislation).

As a Australian it's illegal for me to be in a public place with my face covered, yet they're saying they're special and can do as they want.

That's exactly why it was banned in France and upheld again in the French Supreme Court when it was challenged a few years later.

The comparison wasn't halloween or bike helmets the comparison is with other equivalent people who aren't allowed to drive full veil, or cover their faces in public. Because this becomes a double standard.

We already know Muslims get to drive full veil, non-Muslims cannot in the UK and that's what France said was not right. Leftists often try and muddy the waters by saying things like Halloween and Motor bike helmets. They already lost that argument since we know why the veil is banned in France. France banned it in April 2011 and the EU courts upheld then ban again when it was challenged in 2014. I think it's fair to say governments are well within their rights to ban it and it's not like France is the only one either.

That's exactly why it was banned in France and upheld again in the French Supreme Court when it was challenged a few years later.

The comparison wasn't halloween or bike helmets the comparison is with other equivalent people who aren't allowed to drive full veil, or cover their faces in public. Because this becomes a double standard.

We already know Muslims get to drive full veil, non-Muslims cannot in the UK and that's what France said was not right. Leftists often try and muddy the waters by saying things like Halloween and Motor bike helmets. They already lost that argument since we know why the veil is banned in France. France banned it in April 2011 and the EU courts upheld then ban again when it was challenged in 2014. I think it's fair to say governments are well within their rights to ban it and it's not like France is the only one either.

You can wear a balaclava in public in Australia, it's perfectly legal.

There is no double standard or privilege given to religious clothing there (see the driving point above).

EU court also banned the hijab at work, if work requires a strict dress code. i.e. muslims don't get to override that because "muh feelings".

{<huh}

I hate to be the one to tell you but Australia isn't in Europe

Freakin' LOL! You are so close to single-handedly derailing this thread with a single drunken post, man!

{<huh}

EDIT: Austria, not Australia lol. I will leave this here as a monument to careless posting, a warning to others!

haha seems like others have already beat me to it

Last edited:
There is no double standard or privilege given to religious clothing there (see the driving point above).

EU court also banned the hijab at work, if work requires a strict dress code. i.e. muslims don't get to override that because "muh feelings".

I'm talking about the claim made by Mon that there's a double standard at play in Australia.
I'm not sure where he got that idea, although I do know it's been circulated by nationalists on facebook.
It's factually incorrect.

It's not illegal for you to be in a public space with your face covered. I do it all the time (motorcycle helmet with an iridium visor).
There's only certain circumstances where it's a requirement to uncover your face (including private businesses like banks and service stations), or can be legally required by police or government officials (ie to confirm identity, and for government officials that's a recent change in legislation).

True enough, that's with a necessary safety item or a recognised excuse, try it with a balaclava.

Are you sure? You can in an appropriate location but walking down the street I was told not. Will go ask a copper tonight if I can in a public place not a snow field

Are you sure? You can in an appropriate location but walking down the street I was told not. Will go ask a copper tonight if I can in a public place not a snow field

Yeah, the only "mask laws" we've got are at a state level and (aside from the ones I mentioned about confirming identity) the strictest are the proposed new Victorian anti-protest laws (the Crimes Legislation Amendment (Public Order) Bill 2017, which hasn't been passed yet).
None of them have religious exemptions.

Without thinking about it I voted yes

Id change it to no because you should have the freedom to wear what you want

I'm talking about the claim made by Mon that there's a double standard at play in Australia.
I'm not sure where he got that idea, although I do know it's been circulated by nationalists on facebook.
It's factually incorrect.

Was 20 years ago when I was told by a cop. Plenty around this arve so will ask again.

Driving with a burqua on just seems dangerous to me. Imagine parallel parking in one of those things. I think the personal freedom argument runs into problems when you're putting other people at risk unnecessarily.

Uhhh..... A burqua is for women.

I'm against this kind of ban for religious reasons. If it was for security reasons I understand, as it's a bit scary to have some completely veiled person entering a bank or something.

But I oppose integration, I think that the veil and other islamic dresses are actually a good thing so that you can know who is a muslim. It's like the star of david that jews were forced to wear in the third reich. So, banning burkas is actually a very "progressive" policy that will cause muslims to blend in like normal citizens while they still want to blow you up.

Was 20 years ago when I was told by a cop. Plenty around this arve so will ask again.

Which state?
There are laws about "being disguised with unlawful intent", but that wouldn't include just generally covering your face.

{<huh}

EDIT: Austria, not Australia lol. I will leave this here as a monument to careless posting, a warning to others!

Now I imagine a Kangaroo with an accent like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I thought it was deliberate. Mixing the two is a meme of sorts.

IMG_6121.JPG

No Kangaroos but what about Khan-garroos?

Lol loll another very bad joke from the secret Muslim fske Filipino Shit-Khan po

Back