Austrian Burqa Ban Passed into Law

Would you support a burqa ban in your own country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're question reflects the exact point that this is short sighted (meaning you are only applying this to a group where you like the policy). Doing this means we should vet people immediately off of a religious belief. That can be applied to a different group in the future. Not to mention that policy would have to expand beyond immigration policy because once a person comes into the state, do we then follow to see if they start practicing Islam? The state shouldn't try to control the flow of religion. That's one of the most basic foundations of the US.

Short sighted and authoritarianism. No thanks
Maybe you don't know but burka banned even in some Muslim countries, Morocco, for example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niqāb#Morocco

Anything anti-Islam is something i vote for. No need for cults to be promoted.

@Teppodama how the hell did you get dubs? That's weird... you're a pretty good poster.

Anything anti-Islam is something i vote for. No need for cults to be promoted.

@Teppodama how the hell did you get dubs? That's weird... you're a pretty good poster.
Genocide. Just straight out wrote a genocidal post, got past my psychotic break, and went back to normal posting then learned I got the canary paint. Was a righteous yellow though. Deserved, so no arguments on my part.

Added that poll. Curious if people really think it's a good idea to ban such a thing. Seems very short sighted to me

Short sighted in what sense? What will it lead to?

You're question reflects the exact point that this is short sighted (meaning you are only applying this to a group where you like the policy). Doing this means we should vet people immediately off of a religious belief. That can be applied to a different group in the future. Not to mention that policy would have to expand beyond immigration policy because once a person comes into the state, do we then follow to see if they start practicing Islam? The state shouldn't try to control the flow of religion. That's one of the most basic foundations of the US.

Short sighted and authoritarianism. No thanks

Once Buddhists start in with daily terrorist attacks that might make sense. Islam isn't like other religions. Other religions aren't organizing terrorist attacks on a daily basis.

Islam always hides behind this religious freedom argument. No one was considering this stuff before they started killing everyone.

It's not about religion, it's about public safety.

while I'm against legilsating what clothes you can wear, this goes beyond that. If you saw a dude with a ski mask on at the grocery store, you'd think wtf. We are an open society. We don't cover our faces, save for Halloween. If you feel the need to cover your face, or you feel that your wife needs to cover her face everyone she leaves the house, you can do it somewhere where that's considered normal, I. e. the oppressive regimes you're trying to get away from. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Why is Islam so successful?

4. Islam commands its followers to create a government that supports it.
This may be one of the most ingenious ideas in the whole collection. Islam is the only religion that uses it. Other groups of religious people have had political aspirations, but no other major religious group orders its followers — as a religious duty — to create a government that follows its own system of law.

Islam has a system of law, called Sharia, and all Muslims are obligated to continually strive to make their government — wherever they are — follow it. Because of some of the other ideas added to Islam, you will see that this political addition to the idea-collection has significant consequences.

Many people are under the impression that the goal of Islam is to convert everyone to Islam. This is not so. The prime directive of Islam is to bring all people on earth under the rule of Islamic law. Read more about the political nature of the core doctrines of Islam.

Source: http://www.inquiryintoislam.com/2010/07/why-is-islam-so-successful.html

Austria. Home of Arnold and Hitler.

Any ways, the bit about mandatory language and SOP lessons is great, as well as the slave labour bit.

Come on, man. You can't imply a similarity between Arnold and Hitler!

Oh, wait a minute...:)

0.jpg

The inherent degrading nature of the Burqa/Niqab is enough for me. Coercion/social pressure comes into play and the possibility of girls spending their lives under a tent and never being able to have a real conversation with someone in public is horrible.

I would ban any type of clothing that totally masks who a person is. Not hating on just the burka, but I don't feel comfortable allowing people to walk about in public with something like that.

{<huh}

I hate to be the one to tell you but Australia isn't in Europe

EDIT: Austria, not Australia lol. I will leave this here as a monument to careless posting, a warning to others!

Not gonna lie, I read it the same way and was still thinking Australia until I read your post. You are not alone.

I'd ban the one that covers the face, it fucks with their vision which makes them a danger on the roads and promotes a double standard. Could I wear that mask into a bank?

The one that goes around the face makes them look like fat cancer patients but I'm alright with it being legal.

I'm definitely against anything that covers the face. I was against those Hutterite pricks for the same reason; they'd refuse to have their pictures taken for ID/drivers licenses.

Added that poll. Curious if people really think it's a good idea to ban such a thing. Seems very short sighted to me

Let it flow....

I'll support the burka ban if we can also add an amendment for guy fawkes masks, and antifa ski masks.

@Kafir-kun that was awesome. Good recovery

No matter how strict the vetting is fundamentally irrelevant, you are willing letting in people that worship a rapist murderous pedophile and openly claim to follow in his example. Muslims are easily radicalizes even if the grew up in the west, vetting is once more a pointless en devour.

No muslim can honestly support basic human rights and still be a muslim, their ideology religion is openly against such a thing.

The problem with this is you're speaking in absolutes for a massive amount of people. If you really think there isn't one good Muslim person that exists, we can leave it at that. I don't think we will come to a reasonable ground. Also, I'm speaking from the ground that the religion of Islam isn't that great of one and I still can acknowledge there are good people who are also Muslim. We could argue how that exists. I'd mostly say somewhat secularism the same sense that's what the west did with religion and governance.

Boston bombers, how many need to die or be maimed for you to reconsider ? 1 100 1000 10000?

There was intel that existed that could've been handled for those two but it was ignored. That is an argument example of not vetting well enough.

What does that matter? Its like saying that a person who has never had the desire to exercise their right to protest should not care if protesting is banned.

I don't think its the greatest oppression in the world but it just seems unnecessary if the face is clearly visible.

I'm pretty surprised by this too in here. I generally though most of the posters here had a more libertarian view in the sense of social issues/ "don't tread on me" vibe but something simple as a burqa they ban cause it doesn't have to do with them.

How does something reasonable like banning an oppressive religious garb in public places relate to the banning of protest?

These lines can become more and more blurry. The danger is you allow government to make these calls rather than individuals themselves. Keep in mind we aren't changing any domestic abuse laws in the country by not banning the burqa. A woman could leave her husband in the US if she is oppressed and there are plenty of means to help her be supported through that process so this doesn't have to do with oppression.

Should government take stances with circumcision or anti gay conversion therapy? Cause I think they also should stay out of those issues because I hold the same principle there.

Short sighted in what sense? What will it lead to?

Read my other posts. If you begin having government control how people can practice religion, you go down a dangerous path, especially if it's something as simple as clothing.

Once Buddhists start in with daily terrorist attacks that might make sense. Islam isn't like other religions. Other religions aren't organizing terrorist attacks on a daily basis.

Islam always hides behind this religious freedom argument. No one was considering this stuff before they started killing everyone.

It's not about religion, it's about public safety.

Again, read my other posts, I almost made the exact same point with your last sentence there. Extreme vetting is the solution, not some religion questionaire for those coming in or a ban on a persons spirtiuality

What negative consequences for our countries would a ban on brown people have?

Were we talking about muslims or did you just now expand it to all brown people? Let's see how silly your policies can get. Religion testing first. Now let's just have a color scale at the airport. Better not tan too hard.

You stopped here? What was your policy again? What between white and a brown is too far? Please enlighten us.

Back