Audiobook vs. Reading... Or both?

STEVEN SEAGOLD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's the best way to dissect information, whether educational or informative, from books?

There is no best way, buns. Some people are more susceptible to learning via listening, others via reading. Some even watching! :D

See what works best for you and take off from there! See you in Knowledge Town :)

There is no best way, buns. Some people are more susceptible to learning via listening, others via reading. Some even watching! :D

See what works best for you and take off from there! See you in Knowledge Town :)
Good answer. This is what I told my students today in my webinar.

i like audiobooks ebcause i listen to them while i do other shit, like drive or clean my house

when im reading, i have to give it my undivided attention

i use audible. 14.95 a month but you get one free book per month, which is roughly the speed i get through them

I was thinking about this myself one day and looked it up and read that the only downside is that audio books tend to allow your mind to wonder a bit more.

I see the benefit to both. If someone is driving or doing something else, an audiobook seems appropriate.

I personally enjoy reading. Reading helped with my overall speech and vocabulary, which ultimately helped my public speaking skills.

Can't stand the sound of my voice I'd rather listen to someone else reading

just started on the wheel of time audiobooks

my only issue is the names are so hard that its more difficult for me to differentiate/remember them, than if they were written. its like the narrator just spits about a bunch of random syllables when listing names, if he repeats them a few chapters later, i wouldnt recognize them.

i read the drizzt novels and got by the elven names just by remembering the first 5 or 6 letters of each name, but i wouldve been fucked to do it by audiobook

Audio books are hard to stay with, i find my mind wonders a lot easier than if i have to concentrate and read words

Also you need to find a book with a good narrator, an amazing book will be totally ruined with a poor narrator

For those reasons i choose written books

I'm dyslexic and much like @Clippy can't seem to punctuate correctly, so I much prefer Audio.

That said, it doesn't do to audio a book on Math.

I've been obsessed with audio books lately.
I can listen while I'm cooking, doing chores, driving, even when I'm doing more tedious tasks at work.

I love the idea that I can be constantly absorbing information. Basically, no time is wasted.

I think reading a book is probably a slightly better quality of information transfer medium.(ie value of seeing the words and grammar, tendency to get distracted, etc) But I think the convenience out weighs the small difference in the quality.
Also with Whispersync you can do both and they synchronize.

I cannot sit and read a book. I do however have to sit to drive 30 minutes to work, and from work. So I choose that time to "read" via audio books. Makes the drive (even though it's not THAT long) seem less painful, and I feel accomplished when nerds say "did you read X book?" and I can be like "HELL YEAH I DID!".

I listened to Rules of Attraction and it was very good. Better experience than reading the book. Great to have voices put to all the characters, and all the VA's did a great job. I bought Less Than Zero the other day so that's up next

I like re-reading books via audiobook. I'd rather have the physical copy in the first read through. It allows me to go back and read what I just read immediately. When I get to unbelievable moments in books, I usually re-read them many times. Rewinding to exact spots on an audiobook takes way too long, especially since I save my audiobooks for driving.

I listened to Rules of Attraction and it was very good. Better experience than reading the book. Great to have voices put to all the characters, and all the VA's did a great job. I bought Less Than Zero the other day so that's up next
Less than Zero is very forgettable. Small story, too many unlikeable characters and very little conflict. The two days it took me to read it was a blur. Hopefully the narrators add something the book couldn't do for me.

For fun, audio. For anything you're studying where you need to reread something or go back to another section for better context on the current section, definitely reading

Back