Audio Orbital's Ten Minute Reviews: 9/20 - Opeth - Sorceress

It's monday and I still don't have a good new release to talk about. Does anyone know of any recently released or soon-to-be-released albums? I'm not writing about the red hot chili peppers, that much is certain.

these dudes just put one out not to long ago but the album itself isnt on you tube

Criminals and Lions? Their bandcamp says it dropped November 9th last year, I'll give it a listen. I like the track you posted there, it's got a good reggae feel to it and I was raised with reggae. Got some ska in it too, nice.

2015 Best Albums: #2 - Baroness - Purple

This review contains the ENTIRE album posted within the review. The band, like the #3 band on this list, Earthside, decided to lovingly share the entire album on youtube several months after the official release. This was a fantastic end to 2015, and only one album stood above it in 2015 for good reason.

Genre: Progressive Metal, Sludge Metal
Release Date: December 18, 2015
Rating: 14.5/15

Last edited:
2015 Best Albums: #1 - Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

This review contains three tracks from the album. Simply put, this album changed my life.

Genre: Progressive Rock, Art Rock
Release Date: February 27, 2015
Rating: 15/15

It's a tad late to make your 2015 list, but based on that list I think you'd dig Arcane if you're not aware of them:

Bandcamp link because I find that the YT uploads of most of their songs don't sound as good.

I am unfamiliar with them, I'll have to give them a listen, thanks.

And hopefully I can throw together a review by the end of the week, but there isn't too much to talk about lately. Been a little busy with work.

Audio Orbital is on hiatus until the week of August 1st. It'll be back and in full force with more great new releases.

Great stuff, bud! Jealous that you've seen Ghost live! Those guys are great. You, me & @Tankeray got to get something planned :D :p

I'm super jelly of anyone that's seen Ghost live

Now that I'm back from my hiatus, I need to find some new music to talk about. Anyone have anything lately? I picked up the new Dinosaur Jr album as well as the new Noisia album.

"Stranger Heads Prevail" by Thank You Scientist dropped this week and is pretty sweet; catchy prog rock with some jazzy elements.

"Stranger Heads Prevail" by Thank You Scientist dropped this week and is pretty sweet; catchy prog rock with some jazzy elements.
I will definitely check it out, I listened to their first album Maps a couple years ago and it caught my attention.

Audio Orbital will rise again this week. Prepare your eardrums.

3/21: Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness

Genre: Post-rock
Release Date: April 1, 2016

Reviewing post-rock albums can prove difficult, especially when looking at a consistently excellent band like Explosions in the Sky. It's difficult to listen to the music and point out how it improves on previous albums, for example. Albums like these are largely interpretive, and you may have heard something I completely missed.

Rating: 12/15

I rarely read reviews on music, but a month or two ago I was listening to this very album (before reading this thread) and thought to myself, how do people that review albums deal with music like this? I wouldn't be able to force myself to focus on it for 45 minutes straight. This kind of music just makes my mind wander. You have different reasoning for finding it hard to review, which also make sense.

12/15 seems about right to me.

9/7: Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence

Genre: Progressive Rock/Metal, Symphonic Metal
Release Date: September 9, 2016

Devin Townsend is back with his first album in two years, shockingly enough, with album that is both exciting and fascinating. Putting aside his trademark heaviness that makes him "Hevy Devy" for most of the album, he explores the bounds of progressive metal while still providing a powerful and encompassing wall of sound. This album is transcendent.

Rating: 14/15

Last edited:
Currently checking out Transendence, Failure is a great track.

What did you think?
I like what I've heard so far.

Currently listening too Secret Sciences.

Need to listen too Stormbending again to get a real feel of it, but Failure is definitely the best I've heard off of it so far, love the vocals.

EDIT: Alright, Stormbending fucking rocks, haha. Good track.

Havnt heard a bad song on this album yet.

Review for the new Opeth album coming soon. Whew.

Back