Attendence of US fights vs UK fights

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've heard that the Kell Brook/Errol Spence fight will bring in between 27-30,000 fans.
When Froch fought Groves in the rematch it was reported that they had over 80,000 in attendance (can you fucking believe that?)

Ricky Hatton fights had around 40K-50,000 per match.

Chisora vs Haye: 30,000

Brook vs Glovokin was over 19,000.

And I'm not even going to mention Clinton Woods' numbers.

But here they make a big deal when they're almost at capacity for the MGM.... and what's that? 17,000 max?

And besides, when the fight happens in the UK at least I don't have to wait around till midnight.

If the Spence/Brook took place in the Barclays Center (which would likely be the case if Showtime had it their way), it wouldve sold like 10k tickets and comped the rest

Boxing has significant cultural visibility in the UK... We make a lot of our sporting winners & are quite a sports-obsessed nation, so we zero in on the successes.

We invested a lot of dosh in amateur boxing in the run up to the 2008-2012 Olympics (New Labour in Britain invested a lot in "community" sports from 1997 onwards, which took a decade to tell, i.e. a lot of boxing gyms got makeovers & became places you could go to train & keep fit rather than "If you're here, you bleed" -type places; thus, ten years later, they were showing results. This, I'm certain, drove up attendance & participation for the sport on all levels: if you get the kids through the door without having this "YOU MUST FIGHT TO THE DEATH" thing hanging over them, those who discover a spark of interest/show natural talent that they didn't know they had will naturally follow up on it because they're encouraged to continue with something they're good at rather than being forced into something. The old-school gyms were dying in Britain when I was a kid—not one of them in the various places where I grew up would take you on if you weren't willing to fight there & then, because they were all run by bitter old men & had no funding or proper programmes in place; hence they were all run into the ground & participation in amateur/junior/pro was declining). It's paid off, as I've said above, & boxing classes are now something anyone can do (who keeps fit/works out).

This is how you build a sport up from the grass-roots in the modern age. I'm not very patriotic, but this is the sort of success story people should be shouting about from the rooftops, IMO: without that investment & encouragement & opening up ofthe sport (to people who don't wanna get hit, women, youngsters, people who just wanna get fit), we wouldn't have had the Olympic success & following on from that our flourishing pro scene (which again leads on to big crowds as media becomes interested in broadcasting it).

But you need that investment, & you need a willingness to change that as I said just wasn't there when I was a kid.

Twenty-something years ago, first time I walked into a boxing gym in South London, with five of my teenaged mates who fancied a go, we were thrown in, one by one, with the hardest nuts there, guys who were much older than us & who'd had actual fights.

All of us got the shit kicked out of us; only I (who came from a boxing family—my old man, my uncles fought pro, loads of cousins fought amateur, whole family been around the game for years) went back. Covered in blood afterwards, heads ringing, the old boy who ran the place told us; "If you don't wanna fight, then fuck off 'cos I can't be bothered with you."

Guess what? Most fucked off & never came back.

This was the prevailing (1930s-esque) attitude that reigned for years in Britain & it nearly killed the sport. Only a massive conceptual change on the level of grassroots participation saved it & turned it into the massive success story it is today.

TL;DR: The government put money into it on a community sports level; far-sighted modern people got involved in the training & admin side. This drove up participation at all levels & the amateur/pro game flourished because of it, just 'cos of the influx of new blood.

Boxing appeals more to the Brits hooligan streak. Plus what else are you going in a constant dreary drizzle?

I've heard that the Kell Brook/Errol Spence fight will bring in between 27-30,000 fans.
When Froch fought Groves in the rematch it was reported that they had over 80,000 in attendance (can you fucking believe that?)

Ricky Hatton fights had around 40K-50,000 per match.

Chisora vs Haye: 30,000

Brook vs Glovokin was over 19,000.

And I'm not even going to mention Clinton Woods' numbers.

But here they make a big deal when they're almost at capacity for the MGM.... and what's that? 17,000 max?

And besides, when the fight happens in the UK at least I don't have to wait around till midnight.

A lot of the football lot go boxing over here. We're used to attending sporting events in large numbers and making a fck load of noise (with the odd punch up here and there).
So glad we're starting to get the bigger fights now. It's hard work staying up till 6 at my age, especially now that I don't drink

Boxing appeals more to the Brits hooligan streak. Plus what else are you going in a constant dreary drizzle?

Yeah there's the football fan element at most big fights but it doesn't normally go off, and when it does it's usually alcohol related or dick heads getting carried away with the fights, thinking they're Charlie large. In all fairness we don't have a hooligan streak, we started it but now leave all that shit to central and Eastern Europe! We do love fighting though, which you see up and down the country in town and cities every Friday/Saturday night

The weather ain't that bad over here in all honesty either, esoecially not where I live on the south coast.

Last edited:
Boxing has significant cultural visibility in the UK... We make a lot of our sporting winners & are quite a sports-obsessed nation, so we zero in on the successes.

We invested a lot of dosh in amateur boxing in the run up to the 2008-2012 Olympics (New Labour in Britain invested a lot in "community" sports from 1997 onwards, which took a decade to tell, i.e. a lot of boxing gyms got makeovers & became places you could go to train & keep fit rather than "If you're here, you bleed" -type places; thus, ten years later, they were showing results. This, I'm certain, drove up attendance & participation for the sport on all levels: if you get the kids through the door without having this "YOU MUST FIGHT TO THE DEATH" thing hanging over them, those who discover a spark of interest/show natural talent that they didn't know they had will naturally follow up on it because they're encouraged to continue with something they're good at rather than being forced into something. The old-school gyms were dying in Britain when I was a kid—not one of them in the various places where I grew up would take you on if you weren't willing to fight there & then, because they were all run by bitter old men & had no funding or proper programmes in place; hence they were all run into the ground & participation in amateur/junior/pro was declining). It's paid off, as I've said above, & boxing classes are now something anyone can do (who keeps fit/works out).

This is how you build a sport up from the grass-roots in the modern age. I'm not very patriotic, but this is the sort of success story people should be shouting about from the rooftops, IMO: without that investment & encouragement & opening up ofthe sport (to people who don't wanna get hit, women, youngsters, people who just wanna get fit), we wouldn't have had the Olympic success & following on from that our flourishing pro scene (which again leads on to big crowds as media becomes interested in broadcasting it).

But you need that investment, & you need a willingness to change that as I said just wasn't there when I was a kid.

Twenty-something years ago, first time I walked into a boxing gym in South London, with five of my teenaged mates who fancied a go, we were thrown in, one by one, with the hardest nuts there, guys who were much older than us & who'd had actual fights.

All of us got the shit kicked out of us; only I (who came from a boxing family—my old man, my uncles fought pro, loads of cousins fought amateur, whole family been around the game for years) went back. Covered in blood afterwards, heads ringing, the old boy who ran the place told us; "If you don't wanna fight, then fuck off 'cos I can't be bothered with you."

This was the prevailing (1930s-esque) attitude that reigned for years in Britain & it nearly killed the sport. Only a massive conceptual change on the level of grassroots participation saved it & turned it into the massive success story it is today.

TL;DR: The government put money into it on a community sports level; far-sighted modern people got involved in the training & admin side. This drove up participation at all levels & the amateur/pro game flourished because of it, just 'cos of the influx of new blood.

Cracking post Dave, I can't disagree with any of that

Last edited:

You have made your post a tldr. Cliff notes?

A lot of the football lot go boxing over here. We're used to attending sporting events in large numbers and making a fck load of noise (with the odd punch up here and there).
So glad we're starting to get the bigger fights now. It's hard work staying up till 6 at my age, especially now that I don't drink

Yeah there's the football fan element at most big fights but it doesn't normally go off, and when it does it's usually alcohol related or dick heads getting carried away with the fights, thinking they're Charlie large. In all fairness we don't have a hooligan streak, we started it but now leave all that shit to central and Eastern Europe! We do love fighting though, which you see up and down the country in town and cities every Friday/Saturday night

The weather ain't that bad over here in all honesty either, esoecially not where I live on the south coast.

I'm just ribbing our Brit brethren.

Premier League football has been largely taken over by families and tourists, and rowdy behavior is frowned upon outside the hardcore supporters. Football players have also totally lost any connection with the crowds. So lots of people are looking for something better to do.

A night at the boxing is totally different and in many ways a throwback to the football days of old where men can be men for a bit a bay for blood.

Also better value and with consistently more excitement. I was at Brook GGG - it was electric.

Plus what DaveDave said.

Boxing had fights in America that did over 100k back in the 1900-1920s era.

I think Canelo-GGG could do 80k-100k in Texas.
Mayweather-Pacquiao could've.
Hell Pacquiao did 50k in the States.
Canelo did 56k last year.

USA.
Back 2 Back World War Champs.
Trump said let's get the 3 peat. I said Fuck yeaaaaaa.

You have made your post a tldr. Cliff notes?

1: Put money in on a mass-participation level, for EVERYONE.

2: Get people who aren't fucking mongs to run it & administer it.

3: ...?

4: PROFIT.

lets not forget 90,000 for Joshua-Klitschko

Back