Attempt at making beginner PL routine

Boltonian

Reaper of souls, terminator of goals
@White
Reaction score
Easy Sherbros i have recently got back into weight lifting over the past 2 months but its been bodybuilding style workouts which is not really what i want to do but its all i know. i wanted to get into powerlifting so i have been researching program over the 2 months i have been training to try get some knowledge. This is what i have come up with so if anyone with Powerlifting experience can help me out it would be great. I start off the workout with an explosive movement(apart from shoulders cant think of one) then go into the main lift then 2 assistance work. If you could let me know if this is ok that would be great.

my lifts are as followed(beginner)
Squat 160 kg
bench 100kg
deadlift 165kg

EXAMPLE 1

Day One

OHP Press 5 sets of 5 reps
Machine Shoulder Press – 4 sets of 10 reps
Side Raises 4 sets of 10 reps
  • Day Two
  • Bounds 6 sets of 1 rep
  • Deadlift – 5 sets of 5 reps
  • Barbell Rows 4 sets of 10 reps
  • T bar Row 4 sets of 10 reps
Day Three
Clapping push ups 4 sets of 2 reps
  • Bench Press – 5 sets of 5 reps
  • Incline Bench Press – 4 sets of 10 reps
  • Dumbbell Bench Press 4 sets of 10 reps
Day Four
  • Box Jumps 4x2
  • Squat – 5x5
  • Hack Squat – 4 sets of 10 reps
  • SLDL - 4 sets of 10 reps

Why not use a tried true program like 5x5, 531, etc?

Your numbers aren't really at the advanced stage, unless you're a small guy, then okay maybe some tailoring might be needed, but basic programs goes a long way.

Why not use a tried true program like 5x5, 531, etc?

Your numbers aren't really at the advanced stage, unless you're a small guy, then okay maybe some tailoring might be needed, but basic programs goes a long way.

I kind of based this off 531 with triumvirate the assistance but did a 5x5 approach with the main lift because basically I thought I could go along way with the 5x5 adding 5 pounds every week with me being a beginner lifter then I was going to switch to the 531 system when I was abit more advanced and lifts are stalling.

This is bullshit. You are a newb and your program is garbage. Pick a real program, change nothing and stick with it.

I would recommend:

Day 1
Deadlift 2x6
Bench / dip 2x6
Row 2x6

Day 2
Squat 2x6
Military press 2x6
Vertical pull 2x6

Don't go to failure. Perfect form. CYCLE THE POUNDAGES.

Last edited:

You'd have to ask Pavel Tsatsouline, Stuart McRoberts or John Christy, but i think it's because it'll let you use a weight that is heavy without so many reps that your form goes to shit. It doesn't beat you up, but still gets the body to grow. The real focus is the progression of weight in the cycle instead of a high volume. Which is fantastic for anyone, but especially a beginner (providing he starts the cycle with light weights -- starting the cycle with his PR will be a failure).

Back