Attacking The Guard??

The guard is really a false wall of security one builds.

The more experience I get in boxing the more I realise one needs better ways to defend than bringing the hands up.

With the headgear, and the gloves it can become really hard to see out of it as well.

It totally depends on the situation. Depending upon both of your positioning and distance, you can gain or lose advantage by striking the guard. (I'm going to presume we're talking about boxing because that's the most restrictive case, and for all other striking combat sports, you can expand your options from there.)
Where is your balance as you are moving into this strike? If you are very extended, and your jab just barely reaches his guard, and he is balanced, you have given the initiative away.
If he is moving towards you, and you can throw a strike that hits his guard so hard that it twists his upper body out of position and simultaneously allows you to stay planted over your feet, then that's good. Maybe while he regains his balance, he's moving his hands away from protecting a certain part of himself and you can strike while he readjusts.
A lot of times people hesitate a little bit while they're taking blows, so maybe you freeze him for a second while you keep tapping away so you just use that to kind of stay on offense mode while he has to play defense, hoping not too much gets through. If he doesn't break that range--and you're staying in your strong offensive range, you can just kind of keep your gloves drumming on him until he f's up and misses a block. Just don't let yourself get set up for a counter. It's all about where his upper body is, in relation to his feet. You just gotta watch that and press the advantage when he's out of position or getting flustered, and don't press it when hitting his block would leave you out of position.

From the moment you started talking about balance I knew you were legit. Most guys don't pick up on that, even in the gym. They'll allow themselves to lean one direction (particularly forward) way over their base (feet). To keep that line as close to natural with the back straight will keep you on balance and from being countered. It is all about where his upper body is in relation to his feet. Nail on the head my friend. Thanks for the input.

Use different tactics one of them attacking guard and watch for openings especially if he counters.
Added: At less expirienced opponents it works better/easier. The more expirienced your opponent is you have to watch for his precise counters, because he is reading you (maybe better than you read him, because he is 1 step advance reading ;-) ). On the other hand save your energy.

Last edited:
I like to throw the right hand full power into their guard, to make them anticipate it. This in turn sets up the right body shot, left hook, right cross. You have to be careful doing this against good counter punchers though.

Guys like Lomachnko and Usyk both have tendencies to pull the hands away and strike around them when their opponents try to hide behind their guard, lomachenko more so.
I remember seeing Ernesto Hoost doing it in kickboxing also, think heard it referred to as the "dutch hand trap" at one time, although i could be wrong.
These guys would be good to watch for straight up clearing the guard and attacking, because they use it pretty effectively

I just angle off and beat the piss out of their bread basket instead. You’d be amazed on how guys with cement heads quickly check out after a sustained body attack.

Back