Attacking The Guard??

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Do you try to break through an opponent's defense (their guard) by striking it?

OR

Do you remain composed until an opening presents itself and strike?

Which do you prefer and why?

It’s all situational imo. If you are the aggressor and have the other guy on the ropes for a good part of the fight, then the second option comes a little easier.

If it’s just a momentary spot in which I caught them out of position I will just unload if I can

In reality I do mma so if they high guard I am inclined to shoot a takedown or kick the leg

It’s all situational imo. If you are the aggressor and have the other guy on the ropes for a good part of the fight, then the second option comes a little easier.

If it’s just a momentary spot in which I caught them out of position I will just unload if I can

In reality I do mma so if they high guard I am inclined to shoot a takedown or kick the leg

Okay I respect that. If you're in the center of the ring/cage and he attempts a high guard beyond the options already presented how would you deal with the guard? Pick shots or unload to break down the defenses?

Muhammad Ali was known to attack the guard. The thought was to weaken the arms and get them to drop. Eventually you'd break through.

In your experience, do you think this is a suitable strategy, or would you wait until an opening presented itself?

I do it at times, esp if the guy has shit sense of distance. These types, when you hit their guard they assume the strike you landed would hit them had the guard not been there. That's not right though, even if the guard was down I'd be at full extension and wouldn't land. So for them, I use it to set up stuff

Another case is if the guy is a total retard and tries to block body kicks with his arms, I'm just gonna hammer away at it. Arm damage is a thing

Last edited:
If they block high go low. Like j said use it as a set up. them guarding up is a reaction that can be used. Jab to get the guard up rip a low kick, you know theyll guard up so tap a jab cross and rip a liver shot and lead hook to the head. You get the point.

My favorite Bas Rutten moment is when he asks his students would you let me kick you in the head if your glove was there? They say no and he says then why block a kick that way. It was for head kicks but trust me shin vs humerus isnt nice at all or worse shin vs radius and ulna

The guard is really a false wall of security one builds.

The more experience I get in boxing the more I realise one needs better ways to defend than bringing the hands up.

The guard is really a false wall of security one builds.

The more experience I get in boxing the more I realise one needs better ways to defend than bringing the hands up.

Guard is useful AFTER you have the other methods of defense down It removes options for the opponent and makes things even more hazy when run in conjunction with the more important defensive skills. That's why Floyd Jr. still uses a guard

Also- if the other guy really knows what he is doing, it's probably not a great idea to strike his guard...

Dis the best guard. <13>
giphy.gif

Which of you "pros" thought that you can arm block kicks without stepping in?

Okay I respect that. If you're in the center of the ring/cage and he attempts a high guard beyond the options already presented how would you deal with the guard? Pick shots or unload to break down the defenses?

Muhammad Ali was known to attack the guard. The thought was to weaken the arms and get them to drop. Eventually you'd break through.

In your experience, do you think this is a suitable strategy, or would you wait until an opening presented itself?
It all depends. Are you taller or shorter. Is he good at countering if you aim at his guard. Is there better options for you to take like a low kick or body punches/kick. Does he duck his head when he guards high (uppercut/knee to split the guard)

Lots of options.
I would honestly just recommend finding openings instead of blasting ones guard

You grap their wrists then roll an elbow into their dagum' face.

Serendipitously, this also worked when in 'guard' on the ground too.

Last edited:
I lean towards attacking the guard. For whatever reason, my preference was always to attack and trap the guard in some fashion.

You grap their wrists then roll an elbow into their gat dang face.

Serendipitously, this also worked when in 'guard' on the ground too.

Always a personal favorite. And if you're fast enough on your feet and they're surprised enough by the elbow, it's an easy transition to slide around and attempt to take the back. I've locked in several RNC's starting with the guard attack, elbow to the face or body.

Is spacetime pulling guard in mma? That's incredibly stupid to do in mma.

It totally depends on the situation. Depending upon both of your positioning and distance, you can gain or lose advantage by striking the guard. (I'm going to presume we're talking about boxing because that's the most restrictive case, and for all other striking combat sports, you can expand your options from there.)
Where is your balance as you are moving into this strike? If you are very extended, and your jab just barely reaches his guard, and he is balanced, you have given the initiative away.
If he is moving towards you, and you can throw a strike that hits his guard so hard that it twists his upper body out of position and simultaneously allows you to stay planted over your feet, then that's good. Maybe while he regains his balance, he's moving his hands away from protecting a certain part of himself and you can strike while he readjusts.
A lot of times people hesitate a little bit while they're taking blows, so maybe you freeze him for a second while you keep tapping away so you just use that to kind of stay on offense mode while he has to play defense, hoping not too much gets through. If he doesn't break that range--and you're staying in your strong offensive range, you can just kind of keep your gloves drumming on him until he f's up and misses a block. Just don't let yourself get set up for a counter. It's all about where his upper body is, in relation to his feet. You just gotta watch that and press the advantage when he's out of position or getting flustered, and don't press it when hitting his block would leave you out of position.

Also: no single guard position covers all of the body's vulnerable parts at the same time. Watch Canelo Alvarez highlights to watch somebody who's great at slapping at an opponent's guard while he's working his way around to the vulnerable spot.

Is spacetime pulling guard in mma? That's incredibly stupid to do in mma.
It is completely stupid, but some purebred BJJ cats will tell you its fine because Kron Gracie pulled it off.

Back