Athletes and family issues: The Darren Till emergency

It's not like he's ditching a shift a the Jiffy Lube for an ultra sound.

Sorry, millions of people are watching you. Have a contingency plan for this shit. No pass, you're a fricken pro fighter you have to be smarter than this.

If your family doesn't get it, either ditch them or be an instructor at Mel's Tae Kwon Do.

I would definitely want to know about something like this no matter how 'important' shit I ever had going on with my career.

If I wasn't told, then that would mean that the mother of my unborn child is going through it alone, which is an absolutely awful thought.

Doesn't Till already have another kid with a woman in Brazil, whom he never sees? It seems to be getting discussed the past few days, and if true, doesn't exactly paint a picture of a guy who really cares about others in the manner you're describing.

Doesn't Till already have another kid with a woman in Brazil, whom he never sees? It seems to be getting discussed the past few days, and if true, doesn't exactly paint a picture of a guy who really cares about others in the manner you're describing.
Could be, I don't really follow the sport close enough these days to know. I was only speaking for myself, didn't mean to extend that into a pro-Till argument if that's how it came off.

Women love fucking up a man's work. Almost every gal I've dated has tried to make me late or try to talk me out of going on a business trip/conference or nagged me for doing work at home that ended up making us a ton of money.

She won the gold medal so, maybe they were right to not tell her?
Ikr lol. That's kinda the point I'm making. Darren Till is on the verge of creating history. The only thing he should be distracted with is priority one critical shit.

because making weight is more important?
Because other fighters were in similar positions and still made weight, and they were not in their hometowns, and they don't brag about not needing saunas and Epsom salt hot baths to make weight

I'm going to say that you made this thread to get some discussion going and therefore, not attack you personally.

Anybody who thinks that a fight is more important than what is going on in real life, is a fucking idiot.
Fighting is something that you do. It might even be a bread earner for you but if you are capable of cleaning a toilet then you can always be employed.

There can be nothing more important than being human and that should take precedent over the stupidity of emphasis that people (especially on this shitshow forum) put on a fight.

Except that fighting (and competing in other high level competitions)-

IS REAL LIFE. For those athletes, it's their job, their obsession, and all of their hobbies rolled into one. Winning or losing a fight could get them a six figure contract and set them up financially for 5 years, if not more.

Tell me- what benefit could an athlete gain from learning of a family death 1 week sooner than they would? What can they do about it?

High-level athletics competition is decided by a few percentage points. If telling a guy his grandmother died before he goes out and tries to win a title degrades his performance by just 2%, or makes his weight cut harder (by spiking cortisol which makes you retain water), then I would say you have a fucking responsibility to hide it from him. Let him perform, then mourn after.

because making weight is more important?

Dude, your priorities are messed up...Till signed a contract to come in at a certain weight...you bet your ass that's more important...going to the hospital for a few hours to visit your wife or whoever, shouldn't have any effect on his weight cut...this is his job...more than that, many people are depending on him for this fight...the ufc, his opponent...so yes, it's more important...

Dude, your priorities are messed up...Till signed a contract to come in at a certain weight...you bet your ass that's more important...going to the hospital for a few hours to visit your wife or whoever, shouldn't have any effect on his weight cut...this is his job...more than that, many people are depending on him for this fight...the ufc, his opponent...so yes, it's more important...
My priorities are MY prioroties.
I know nothing about Till other than it seems he may have decided the same.
I have a child, he is not 2 years old yet.
If my wife was still pregnant and had to be taken in for a scan, as a precaution you can assume simply that I'd be there.
My best friend lost his child after a "it's just a precaution" scan. Not being there for your wife if that happened is way more life altering than not fighting.

My priorities are MY prioroties.
I know nothing about Till other than it seems he may have decided the same.
I have a child, he is not 2 years old yet.
If my wife was still pregnant and had to be taken in for a scan, as a precaution you can assume simply that I'd be there.
My best friend lost his child after a "it's just a precaution" scan. Not being there for your wife if that happened is way more life altering than not fighting.

this isn't just some pickup basketball game with you and your buddies...this is a professional fight...these are things you don't miss...it's also his job to provide for his family...this is how he does it...if the fight was cancelled, no money..being there for his wife is all fine, but nothing he can't do after the fight...he's not the dr.

Going to see someone in a hospital should not affect a weight cut, it’s just a lame ass excuse.

this isn't just some pickup basketball game with you and your buddies...this is a professional fight...these are things you don't miss...it's also his job to provide for his family...this is how he does it...if the fight was cancelled, no money..being there for his wife is all fine, but nothing he can't do after the fight...he's not the dr.
How old are you and how old are your children?

You don't have to know much about me but I have and do fight professionaly. On a much lower scale than Darren Till so when I do, those £s mean everything to me because I have to make sure I more than cut even.
If anything happened to my kid because I chose to go ahead with a bout and missed supporting my wife in hospital, I'd never forgive myself and potentially ruin my marriage.

So, weight that up against your "this isn't some pickup basketball game" and think about what you are saying.
He will always be able to provide for his family, whether he fights or not. He's a capable young man.
Even so, you are talking like this would be the end of his career if he did have to call it off. You think he wasn't speaking with Dana White through his decisions? Or that his team weren't doing so?

You are talking about a sport where cancellations happen for much less serious things, in high numbers and you are talking like if he missed this then he'd never get paid half decent money again.

I think you are most likely taking as an angry fan and not as somebody who has been in the position.

I'm going to say that you made this thread to get some discussion going and therefore, not attack you personally.

Anybody who thinks that a fight is more important than what is going on in real life, is a fucking idiot.
Fighting is something that you do. It might even be a bread earner for you but if you are capable of cleaning a toilet then you can always be employed.

There can be nothing more important than being human and that should take precedent over the stupidity of emphasis that people (especially on this shitshow forum) put on a fight.

UFC fighting does happen in real life, not just video games. And speaking of real life, part of being an adult means you can't always take a lackadaisical approach to gainful employment just because "you are capable of cleaning a toilet." Your family's health and happiness are always more important than your job, sure, but sometimes those things only exist because of your job - medical procedures and trips to Disneyland don't pay for themselves.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean when you say there's nothing more important than being human. Everyone is completely human all of the time. You are no more or less human for taking fighting seriously, especially when it's your job.

How old are you and how old are your children?

You don't have to know much about me but I have and do fight professionaly. On a much lower scale than Darren Till so when I do, those £s mean everything to me because I have to make sure I more than cut even.
If anything happened to my kid because I chose to go ahead with a bout and missed supporting my wife in hospital, I'd never forgive myself and potentially ruin my marriage.

So, weight that up against your "this isn't some pickup basketball game" and think about what you are saying.
He will always be able to provide for his family, whether he fights or not. He's a capable young man.
Even so, you are talking like this would be the end of his career if he did have to call it off. You think he wasn't speaking with Dana White through his decisions? Or that his team weren't doing so?

You are talking about a sport where cancellations happen for much less serious things, in high numbers and you are talking like if he missed this then he'd never get paid half decent money again.

I think you are most likely taking as an angry fan and not as somebody who has been in the position.

I have said many times that fighters that pull out of fights last minute or with a week to go, should be fined heavily...So a guy can't support his wife after the fight? And fighting making a hundred bucks a fight, isn't nearly the same as this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back