Athletes and family issues: The Darren Till emergency

eon001

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
When an athlete is preparing to compete should family members keep any non death of critical health related drama away from the athlete?

Supposedly Darren's unborn kid was experiencing some issues. To me that qualifies as GOOD REASON to disturb him, but on the other hand, it seems that her status has stabilized so was it worth bothering him in the first place?

When an athlete is preparing to compete should family members keep any non death of critical health related drama away from the athlete?

Supposedly Darren's unborn kid was experiencing some issues. To me that qualifies as GOOD REASON to disturb him, but on the other hand, it seems that her status has stabilized so was it worth bothering him in the first place?
I'm going to say that you made this thread to get some discussion going and therefore, not attack you personally.

Anybody who thinks that a fight is more important than what is going on in real life, is a fucking idiot.
Fighting is something that you do. It might even be a bread earner for you but if you are capable of cleaning a toilet then you can always be employed.

There can be nothing more important than being human and that should take precedent over the stupidity of emphasis that people (especially on this shitshow forum) put on a fight.

I'll also add, I don't even think the family issue is to blame. Darren has shitty weight cutting etiquette. I heard he was walking around over 200lbs a few weeks before his cut.

*Frankie lost his dad recently during camp, made weight and won.
*Cowboy lost his grand pa, before his UFC debut, made weight and won.
*Dodson fought a championship fight when his wife was giving birth. Made weight and competed
*Rivera was on TUF 4 when his wife gave birth to his kids. Made weight and competed.

Darren was in the luxury of his home town. A few hours visiting his missus in the hospital should drastically fuck up his weight cut.

Last edited:
Family emergency, personal emergency, late injury, illness, we've heard it all. Just do your job and make weight.

Family emergency, personal emergency, late injury, illness, we've heard it all. Just do your job and make weight.
because making weight is more important?

Edit: I've had some good responses to my sentence above.
It was unthought out when I said it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely want to know about something like this no matter how 'important' shit I ever had going on with my career.

If I wasn't told, then that would mean that the mother of my unborn child is going through it alone, which is an absolutely awful thought.

I'm going to say that you made this thread to get some discussion going and therefore, not attack you personally.

Anybody who thinks that a fight is more important than what is going on in real life, is a fucking idiot.
Fighting is something that you do. It might even be a bread earner for you but if you are capable of cleaning a toilet then you can always be employed.

There can be nothing more important than being human and that should take precedent over the stupidity of emphasis that people (especially on this shitshow forum) put on a fight.
Yea I agree, which is why I would say just pull out the fight and focus on your girl. Deal with the consequences later.

And you are right, I'm not trying to attack Darren directly, I am indeed trying to spark a little discussion.. I was just thinking about personal life vs professional life, and at what does it take to risk career over something that's going on in your personal life.

On a smaller scale, it's like fathers that never see there kids because there working to pay the bills. There lose a connection with there kids, but there children's quality of life is maintained and there college bills are paid for.

Or, maybe one could be extremely unprofessional and come up with a vague but understandable excuse to publicly justify his mistake.

Not saying that’s what happened, just a possibility. I’ve made quite the gamut of excuses for ditching work and school so I feel like “family issues” is a go-to justification for almost anything.

I have three kids and two grandkids, and I can tell you that most "emergencies" with unborn children are false alarms.

When you have a razor thin bid to make weight those five hours in the hospital instead of in the sauna can fuck you up.

10 years ago Till would be a MW or even LHW. I doubt Shogun comes in weighing more than Till.

Just shows how stupid weight cutting is.

Or, maybe one could be extremely unprofessional and come up with a vague but understandable excuse to publicly justify his mistake.

Not saying that’s what happened, just a possibility. I’ve made quite the gamut of excuses for ditching work and school so I feel like “family issues” is a go-to justification for almost anything.
This

I have three kids and two grandkids, and I can tell you that most "emergencies" with unborn children are false alarms.
When you have a razor thin bid to make weight those five hours in the hospital instead of in the sauna can fuck you up.

10 years ago Till would be a MW or even LHW. I doubt Shogun comes in weighing more than Till.

Just shows how stupid weight cutting is.
Ok here's how my conversation would have gone.

"Darren, I'm in the hospital, something is up with the baby..."
"Is it serious? will he be ok....?"
"Yea I'm getting checked out, should be fine, I just miss you and need you here.."
"Babe, I'm sorry but if everything is ok, your going to have to take one for the team. I need make history, and a shit load of money for you and the kid. When I'm done, I'll be right there by your side."

Like Dana said, you need to learn how to block this shit out. I'd bet she's a bit of an emotionally needy lady and just wanted a hand to hold.

Now if it's a critical threat, then I'd just call the fight off right there. It's either one or there other. That emotional support shit is for amateurs.

Ok here's how my conversation would have gone.

"Darren, I'm in the hospital, something is up with the baby..."
"Is it serious? will he be ok....?"
"Yea I'm getting checked out, should be fine, I just miss you and need you here.."
"Babe, I'm sorry but if everything is ok, your going to have to take one for the team. I need make history, and a shit load of money for you and the kid. When I'm done, I'll be right there by your side."

Like Dana said, you need to learn how to block this shit out. I'd bet she's a bit of an emotionally needy lady and just wanted a hand to hold.

Now if it's a critical threat, then I'd just call the fight off right there. It's either one or there other. That emotional support shit is for amateurs.

I dunno dude. You ever had a pregnant woman? I did say fuck YOU to work when we had an issue.

Then again dude is a massive WW and he should not be going through a cut this difficult. He should be in MW.

UFC just encourages this sort of massive cut BS instead of really punishing it. As in pay the fighter who made weight and give the dude who didn’t a yellow card plus implement hydration tests.

Family issues are horrible, but Till shouldn't be fighting in a weight class where an incident could get in the way of him making weight.

I dont any of the family circumstances but only know Till is a huge WW, cuts a lot, and even brags about it. He fucked up and thats it.

On a side note, does Till beat Woodley in a 175lb division?

Back