Atheist Teacher Under Probe After Calling Students Who Invited Her to Church 'Cretins'

The only mistake she made was being stupid enough to post her problem on a Facebook page using the word cretins. And that is pretty stupid given all the IT training teachers get these days.

Kids do group up to harass teachers sometimes. I've seen it. And if the school has lax discipline and an unsupportive head then it can be hard to deal with if the kids stay on the right side of the rules. It's particularly hard to handle when it's religious as calling them in and saying "stop saying bless you" sounds ridiculous and might get her into trouble with religious parents. I can see why this might be hard to handle, especially for a newish teacher.

It's hard to even imagine how people teach inner city minorities. At some point we should probably just give up. I feel terrible for people who really want to help and then have to be in a system that doesn't work. These kids either need regular beatings by the school staff, or the kids should be expelled. We should not guarantee every child an "education." Either want an education, or get expelled. Try again next semester. Act up again, expelled for a year.

In jr high our class had reputation. We literally had teachers walk out of our classroom the first day never to come back.

This was Los Angeles Unified.

I don't feel bad now considering how corrupt and self-serving the teachers union is in cali. Fuck em.

In jr high our class had reputation. We literally had teachers walk out of our classroom the first day never to come back.

This was Los Angeles Unified.

I don't feel bad now considering how corrupt and self-serving the teachers union is in cali. Fuck em.

The teachers aren't the long term victims in that scenario though, it's the students themselves who certainly get a smaller chance at success later in life.

Better a Christian kid say God Bless You and leave flyers, than Islamic kids bringing fake bombs to school.

Resize-Clock-Boy-Costume_1444237538940_171022_ver1.0_640_360-640x480.jpeg

No, it's on par. Now bringing a REAL bomb to school...

The teachers aren't the long term victims in that scenario though, it's the students themselves who certainly get a smaller chance at success later in life.

That's true which is why I disagree with mandatory schooling. A few bad apples can ruin a classroom environment. Students who want to learn generally will learn.

That's true which is why I disagree with mandatory schooling. A few bad apples can ruin a classroom environment. Students who want to learn generally will learn.

I would disagree that mandatory schooling is bad because kids aren't mature enough to make decisions that affect their lives that much. There definitely needs to be measures that can be taken to prevent students from suffering from the disturbing ones behavior though, but that's of course a proven hard nut to crack when all factors are considered. Especially since a large part of it probably has to do with the parenting.

That should be the focus of the thread, not a bunch of children acting like children.

Don't advertise your religion or politics to your students, and if you do, don't complain when they reject it.

Well we don't know what the teacher was doing. Her students may have just asked her and she answered honestly. However, if the students have the right to express their religious beliefs, so does the teacher.

Last time I check, an invitation to something is usually a gesture of Kindness. This teacher was also offended when students said God Bless You after someone sneezed. She is claiming that she was being bullied by the students Give me a Break!

fb+post3.jpg

http://www.christianpost.com/news/a...ted-her-to-church-cretins-on-facebook-175390/
last time I check, no means no. how many times does she have to ignore their flyers for the little cretins to get the message? it is harassment, pure and simple.

When I read the title, I thought, ugh, what an idiot, calling kids cretins for inviting her to church.

After reading the circumstances, it seems a lot more understandable. It seems they're purposely trolling her. Not a big deal, I know, but neither is calling them cretins. I've said worse about my own kids, albeit jokingly.

A mild (and anonymous) name calling for a mild troll job seems proportional. Maybe not the best thing in the world for a teacher to say, but honestly, is it newsworthy?

Reread the OP
fb+post3.jpg

they would say God Bless you when someone sneezes and look her way. And they would repeatedly leave these flyers there and the principal already spoke to them about it. Seems like they're doing it to annoy her

Because a social media post is 100% undeniable proof right?

Looks more like an angry militant atheist to me.

last time I check, no means no. how many times does she have to ignore their flyers for the little cretins to get the message? it is harassment, pure and simple.
We don't know this for sure, because we weren't there. Just think the teacher needs to act like the adult.

We don't know this for sure, because we weren't there. Just think the teacher needs to act like the adult.
If her story is the truth and the kids are harassing their teacher like she says, they probably aren't followers of Christ. They are probably just kids grabbing the Christian flyers off the wall to mess with this teacher. Cause they know this bothers her.

As Christians we are told to love non Christians.

She might learn from those of whom she teaches. This sad teacher doesn't realize that children don't invite people along to things if they really don't like them. So you create a rapport with the students and then complain about it???

How many adults did you invite to church when you were a kid? Cmon now, you know that's a bunch of horseshit right there. If they invited her to their birthday party, then maybe I'd buy that it's because they like her. But they invited her to church. The kids are proselytizing, because that is what they were taught to do by their parents and their church.

That said, this is 100% the teachers fault. For her to get regular invitations to church, they kids would have to know she did not go to church, and they could only have found that out from her. She obviously discussed the topic in a general manner at some point. She should have stuck to the curriculum.

I have been an atheist for 36 years. Since I was 12. And in that 36 years, I have never attended a single atheist gathering or joined any kind of on line atheist group. I do not fight for the 'rights' of atheists because we already have all the rights. In my mind, a picture of Christ on the Cross in a courthouse should annoy an atheist no more than a painting of Zeus with a thunderbolt. If this teacher was making comments about this episode on the 'Atheists of Bay County' facebook page, she obviously feels strongly enough about her atheism to mention it to students. She should fucking know better than to whine about her students on a forum.

She is an adult, she knew better than to open the door. She should not be surprised if her students do not understand the correct way to respond. Because they are middle school kids. And because everyone else in those poor kids contact sphere has brainwashed them into seeing this woman as nothing more than a fresh soul for the saving.

This little episode aside, one thing I will say in a general manner is that due mainly to tradition and centuries of social engineering, religions terms and phrases have wormed their way into everyday lexicon. That is not a benefit that atheism enjoys yet.

Go into any store and buy something in the south, and there is a 70% chance would will hear 'have a blessed day'. I don't think atheists can safely go around yet telling people to have 'god devoid' days. But these little 'micro agressions' should be paid no mind.

If her story is the truth and the kids are harassing their teacher like she says, they probably aren't followers of Christ. They are probably just kids grabbing the Christian flyers off the wall to mess with this teacher. Cause they know this bothers her.

As Christians we are told to love non Christians.

Christians are taught to 'save' non christians. And to get those saved people to save more. It was the worlds first MLM. A Medieval ages Amway that survives to this day.

I agree with some of your thoughts. I did invite people that I liked to my church when I was a kid too. The point is if they did it because they liked her, she needs to grow up. If they did it to harass her, then that is not appropriate.

what did I just read? a religious person telling me that he doesnt know something for sure, because he wasnt there? that is priceless.

Because a social media post is 100% undeniable proof right?

Looks more like an angry militant atheist to me.
Not necessarily but its a forum for atheists. She really gains nothing from lying and people tend to be somewhat truthful in those kinds of scenarios. especially since she's not anonymous.

Just seems like a case of middle school kids being shitty if you ask me

Back