At what point does Woodley enter WW goat contention?

When he equals GSP's title defence record

Beating an old tired double knee surgery GSP doesn't make Tyron the GOAT. Just compare the two's resume.

GSP - Currently won 11 consecutive title fights.
Tyron - 4 title fights and 1 of them was a Draw.
thats true but it would still do a lot for tyron to have a win over GSP, it would probably be worth several title defences in the current WW division.
I'm curious why GSP is treated as a crippled old man when he's only 1 year older than woodley, and woodley has had surgeries of his own. is it something fans do to protect GSP's legacy in case he loses?
we just saw an even older dude romero compete for the title and next PPV is headlined by old man DC.
GSP's age shouldn't be used as an excuse to hide the fact that he is just trying to protect his record.

thats true but it would still do a lot for tyron to have a win over GSP, it would probably be worth several title defences in the current WW division.
I'm curious why GSP is treated as a crippled old man when he's only 1 year older than woodley, and woodley has had surgeries of his own. is it something fans do to protect GSP's legacy in case he loses?
we just saw an even older dude romero compete for the title and next PPV is headlined by old man DC.
GSP's age shouldn't be used as an excuse to hide the fact that he is just trying to protect his record.

Georges has a lot of mileage. Consider this. GSP debuted at UFC 46, <Eek2.0>, and was still wining belts at UFC 217. He's been around for a long time man. He blew out both knees and guaranteed isn't as athletic or explosive as he used to be. Its a testament to just how skilled he is that even less than prime he is still better than probably anyone at 155 or 170.

After he gets 4 more wins after he beats colby

Whatever it is, at age 36 I doubt he will be able to do it.

Tyron has had a lot of very close fights. GSP and Hughes defended the belt 12 times, and for the most part ran right through everyone leaving no doubt they were the best of their division.

Gsp
Hughes
Shields/lawler
Rory
Militech

Newton

Marquart
Woodley

He’s got a ways to go

Beating GSP’s GOATness will be extremely difficult.

Tyron would have to surpass GSP’s defense mark, and even then his record would still be inferior to Georges’.

Even if Tyron gets to 10, which he won't, we have to factor in that Georges won the WW title, then defended 9 times, then beat Bisping in a title fight, meaning GSP has currently won 11 consecutive title fights. So f Woodley has 10 title defenses, that means he won 11 consecutive title fights which would tie GSP. The problem is, GSP wins all the tie breakers. GSP has no Draws on his record, Tyron has 1. GSP is 26-2 and avenged both losses. Tyron would be 25-3 and he will never avenge his losses. It would go on and on, Georges wins all the tie breakers.
Strongly agree

And maybe not accuse everone on the planet of racism and behave like a champion,
or atleast a sane human being.

How did you see this playing out in your head?

He is up against GSP. GOAT talk isn't even close to being in the cards. Come back in a few years if Woodley has been active and still champ.

i know hes still a bit off from beating GSP and Hughes, but lets look at some of his wins.

Carlos Condit
Stephen Thompson
Demian Maia
Kelvin Gastelum
Robbie Lawler

When he cleans out his division in 2x different eras. I mean, GSP's career hit a speedbump when he was TKO'd by Matt Serra. And that fight should have been a NC, because Serra clearly hit him in the back of the head, which is an illegal target. This is no different than getting kicked in the groin. But I digress:

GSP is 11-1 in welterweight title fights and 1-0 in MW title fights. That's not counting his interim title win over Matt Hughes. He's got a WW record 9 consecutive title defenses. Right now Woodley is 3-0-1 in WW title fights. That's nowhere close to GSP's numbers.

And GSP's victories are equally impressive to Woodley's, if not more so. Demian Maia isn't any better than Jon Fitch or Jake Shields were in their primes. Stephen Thompson is by far his most impressive win, but IMO prime GSP beats Stephen Thompson much more convincingly than Woodley did. Don't forget -- GSP stole Thiago Alves' soul when he was straight destroying guys at 170. Alvez was on a 7 fight win streak when GSP crushed him, and he was never the same again, losing 3 of his 4 fights after GSP.

Back