At this point, who gets 2nd greatest WW of all time spot? Hughes or Woodley?

Looking it over, yeah Hughes is ahead and Woodley needs a few more defenses to consider passing him

Just lol at the lack of respect for past accomplishments. Woodley doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Hughes

Woodley is 1000x more skilled. Prime Hughes would get outstruck by anyone in the top 10 and some people outside of it probably.

I say it easily goes to Hughes btw. Easily.
agreed. people always weight more recent events more heavily, but hughes beat a who's who. for example the noobs don't even know who sakurai was, that was a seriously big deal at the time. newton, sherk, GSP, BJ, that's an impressive list.

Regardless of what some are saying, I don't think Tyron has an argument for GOAT WW yet. That spot still has to go to GSP. But how about 2nd greatest WW of all time? How does what Tyron has done up to this point stack up against what all Matt Hughes did in his career? This isn't a "who would beat who in their primes?" thread. But we can talk about that if ya like. But it's more of a "who did more in their career?" thread. And yes I realize Tyron isn't done yet. I'm just saying at THIS point....

....What do you think?

GSP

Hughes IMO. Hughes has a win over the goat ww even though gsp got that one back.

His record is also filled with many a regional level fighter in there.

Hughes' resume is top notch and I still have him above Woodley, but to cite the amount of fights he had as a reason he should be above Tyron is laughable at best.

It was actually in reference to how few losses he had compared to how active he was compared to Woodley

Woodley is 36 with a 19-3 record

At 36 Hughes had a 45-7 record and beat pretty much every top guy of his generation

Maybe if Woodley had another 30 pro fights in the same time span he would have a few more losses

Hughes had a win streak almost as long as Woodley entire career

think people underrate Hughes' wins over guys like Sakurai and Sherk a lot. Hughes is #2 right now imo. It sucks because after Colby and Usman, there's really no fresh new faces at 170 at the top (aside from Ponzi) and I don't think either of those guys are big wins at this moment.

WW landscape will change in 18 months and if Woodley can manage to hold onto the belt and get another 2-3 wins he can move into #2

Hughes has it but if a theoretical prime vs prime fight happened I'd take Woodley

TS clearly wasn't around yet during Hughes reign. Hughes stranglehold and dominate the division for years and years. Tyron and all the others are just competing for the 3rd best.

Back