Ass to Grass or Parallel squats, which is more effective?

Moved the bar from the base of my skull to my upper traps and can now hit depth without tipping forward or slumping. And in flat shoes, not squat shoes

So flexibility plays no part in limiting a person's ability to perform a full squat?
And if ankle dorsiflexion isn't a limiting factor then why is it that when most untrained people squat fully down their heels come off the ground?

I find tackling the hip flexor generally works before working dorsiflexion. If they have more than 20 degrees of dorsiflexion, that means normal range and it isnt an issue.
There are other ways to assess their movement patter such as goblet squats, frog squats, air squats while holding a pole, changing stance etc. I rarely find the problem is in the ankles legitimately .

Nobody is just falling backwards after a certain depth. That's just talking stupid.
Huh? You've honestly never seen someone fall backwards trying to do a full bodyweight squat? Pretty much what happens anytime I've seen a very sedentary person attempt to squat.

I find tackling the hip flexor generally works before working dorsiflexion. If they have more than 20 degrees of dorsiflexion, that means normal range and it isnt an issue.
There are other ways to assess their movement patter such as goblet squats, frog squats, air squats while holding a pole, changing stance etc. I rarely find the problem is in the ankles legitimately .
Hmmm, guess I'm letting my personal experience bias me. Ankles have been the only issues I've ever personally had.

I don't have the mobility to go past parallel, which is mostly caused by my anterior pelvic tilt and poor ankle/ achilles flexibility. I stick with box squats for now and those seem to get the job done.

Last edited:
I don't have the mobility to go past parallel, which is mostly caused by my anterior pelvic tilt and poor ankle/ achilles flexibility. I stick with box squats for now and those seem to get the job done.
Good alternative.
I have this pelvic tilt you speak of. But I've never had issues with ankles and my Achilles have never been my Achilles Heel. I do love a good box squat though.

I don't have the mobility to go past parallel, which is mostly caused by my anterior pelvic tilt and poor ankle/ achilles flexibility.
How many times have you just fallen backwards because of it?...

How many times have you just fallen backwards because of it?...
Never, but if I forced my self past parallel it would definitely be a possibility lol.

Back