Ass to Grass or Parallel squats, which is more effective?

All I can say is that reading/hearing the phrase "ass to grass" causes a strong facepalm reaction inside my brain.

I shoot for parrelling. I don't like the idea of torque past parrellel put on my knees. Besides that, parrelle feels very close to a leg press which feels right.

My form looks close to this chicks.

(she has a nicer ass than I do though)

maxresdefault.jpg
Thats dog shit. Hip crease is above knee

@CamMan14 and @corpse, thanks for the input guys, I'll make sure to adjust accordingly.

a deep squat with several hundred lbs. on your shoulders is not a natural movement for naked apes. you can nuthug powerlifting all day long and it won't change. that doesn't affect the fact that it seems to be a good thing in strength sports. sorry if you don't get that difference.

Powerlifters don't go beyond parallel anyway and at equipped meets, their suits have them wound so tight that some can't even hit parallel.

As for the average Joe trying to lift, just don't do shitty quarter squats and you'll be fine. Unless you're competing in a strength sport, you shouldn't give a shit about squat depth. Or at least don't be overly anal about it.

I go between ATG and parallel. Going ATG is my preference but over time the compression on my L5-S1 catches up.

a deep squat with several hundred lbs. on your shoulders is not a natural movement for naked apes. you can nuthug powerlifting all day long and it won't change. that doesn't affect the fact that it seems to be a good thing in strength sports. sorry if you don't get that difference.

Thx 4 teh help...will note.

I videod myself to see what stopping at parallel felt like, its close, sometimes a centimeter above

All the way down, it feels normal for me that way.

I have friends who topple backwards if they squat below parallel for some reason.

Yeah, past a certain depth they just kind of roll back and land on their arse.

I'm assuming it's a flexibility limitation.
Most likely ankle flexibility, a fair amount of people cant get there knee comfortably out past their toes and so fall backwards right around parallel or lower.

Anyone can squat deep, but not everyone can squat heavy. Anyway do whatever your goals dictate. If you're a powerlifter just aim for your hip crease going below the top of your knee or lower if you prefer. Personally I just squat as low as I can possibly go comfortably, which is pretty deep. This is pretty natural for me as my stance is close, although my squat doesn't look as deep as some oly lifters. I remember talking to Kirk Karwoski at a meet once. He was telling me that he prefers to squat as deep as possibly so his hamstrings bounce off his calves, lol...

Yeah, past a certain depth they just kind of roll back and land on their arse.

I'm assuming it's a flexibility limitation.

Most likely ankle flexibility, a fair amount of people cant get there knee comfortably out past their toes and so fall backwards right around parallel or lower.
Is this a competition to see who can say the stupidest shit?

Is this a competition to see who can say the stupidest shit?
So flexibility plays no part in limiting a person's ability to perform a full squat?
And if ankle dorsiflexion isn't a limiting factor then why is it that when most untrained people squat fully down their heels come off the ground?

Back