Ass to Grass or Parallel squats, which is more effective?

ConnorMacGregod

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
and which do you feel you are sore more of the next day you are done?

I prefer parallel squats. Putting weight on your back and squatting that low is not natural.
Parallel squats have the exact same benefitw, just less chance of injury.

i squat lower and lighter with front squats, parralel and load up back squats

I've personally always felt that deliberately stopping at parallel (or any other point) stresses my knees more than just going all the way down and coming back up.

Ultimately I think your own level of flexibility should be your guide.

If you squat to your deepest position while maintaining proper stability, tightness, and body mechanics, you'll almost always squat to parallel.

Once you've read this line, you don't need to read anything else in that article. This is important to remember but it also makes the title misleading. And provides lazy fucktards shitty evidence to support stopping their squat at what they perceive as parallel without first addressing the proper mechanics of the lift. The author is not telling you to force stop at parallel, its telling you to get good at your squat and when you do it will likely be around parallel and to force yourself deeper with improper form will heighten your risk of injury.

Once you've read this line, you don't need to read anything else in that article. This is important to remember but it also makes the title misleading. And provides lazy fucktards shitty evidence to support stopping their squat at what they perceive as parallel without first addressing the proper mechanics of the lift. The author is not telling you to force stop at parallel, its telling you to get good at your squat and when you do it will likely be around parallel and to force yourself deeper with improper form will heighten your risk of injury.
I agree. I lose tightness when I try to go too deep and fail almost instantly out of the hole, even with knee wraps.

My ideal depth is slightly above parallel (probably 75% of the way down). When I go to parallel with anything but the absolute lightest weights, my form goes to shit.

It's all about your body and what's best for you.

My ideal depth is slightly above parallel (probably 75% of the way down). When I go to parallel with anything but the absolute lightest weights, my form goes to shit.

Sounds like you may not know how to squat

I think the actual percentage of going slightly above parallel is 53%, although I might be off by 1 or 2 %.

This better be trolling.

There is no use in going ATG unless competition or working on ROM (poor mobility in achill tendon).
Paralell gives you hyperthropy and strength.

Definitely know how to squat haha you say "you will almost always end up around parallel" and that's where I am, slightly above.
You said 75% of the way and that any lower and your form breaks down. I'd reassess your form, personally. But I have not seen you squat.

Back