ASOIAF Winds of Winter Unlikely to be released in 2018, GRRM wants to release Targaryen book first

Lethal

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Only took 2 months out of the year to find out this time, haha.

Cliffs:

- Fire and Blood is an encyclopedia book covering the history of House Targaryen. Originally planned to release as one book, GRRM has now said it'll be released in two volumes as the material as grown too large for a single book.

- The original plan was to release the book after completion of the ASOIAF series, however Martin now plans on releasing Volume 1 before Winds of Winter, and Volume 2 after.

- Volume 1 currently has no release date, but GRRM previously mentioned on his blog that it was scheduled to be released in late 2018 or early 2019. Which likely rules out Winds being released in 2018. He promises to release more details "soon."

Author George R.R. Martin knows you’re tired of waiting for new material, but he’s asking you to be a little more patient.

Martin responded to fans questions on his LiveJournal page over The Winds of Winter’s status, the sixth book in the popular A Song of Ice and Fire series. Martin said he’s throwing his efforts into Fire & Blood, the two-volume encyclopedia for A Song of Ice and Fire. The plan is to finish the first volume of Fire & Blood before returning to The Winds of Winter, the author said.

“The first volume should be completed soon,” Martin wrote. “The second is hardly begun. Most of Fire & Blood consists of the ‘sidebars’ I originally wrote for The World of Ice and Fire. Abridged versions of some of those pieces appeared as ‘The Princess and the Queen,’ ‘The Rogue Prince,’ and ‘The Sons of the Dragon,’ but these are the full versions, together with some chapters that have never appeared anywhere.”

Martin didn’t tease out when The Winds of Winter is to be expected, but suggested only Fire & Blood’s first volumewill be released this year. That means those waiting to find out what happens after A Dance with Dragons, which was released in 2011, will have to wait at least another year before continuing the main saga.

This isn’t the first time that Martin has acknowledged the lengthy wait for fans. In January 2017, Martin wrote that he thought the book would be released soon, but acknowledged he’s said similar things before.

“Not done yet, but I’ve made progress,” Martin wrote. “But not as much as I hoped a year ago when I thought to be done by now. I think it will be out this year. (But hey, I thought the same thing last year.)”

Diehard fans should be happy with some new, canonical and official A Song of Ice and Fire material to work with in the meantime. Martin didn’t hint as to when the book is to be expected, but information should become available in the coming months.

Game of Thrones, HBO’s popular series based on the Song of Ice and Fire series, also returns to the network in 2019. The eighth and final season will end the televised epic that’s been playing out since 2011. Will the release of The Winds of Winter and Game of Thrones’ final season coincide with each other? Who knows, but it’s great publicity for both if that’s the case.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/15/1...of-winter-date-asoiaf-book-6-george-rr-martin

at this point it’s so obvious that he doesn’t know how to finish this book. probably doesn’t even know how to finish ASOIAF as a whole. I’m not even going to bother reading the last two books, that is if he even finishes either of them. I’ll just read the cliffs for my favorite characters.

Fuck that fucking fuck

<31>

dont-worry-its-coming.jpg

No surprise there. He might finish the manin books before he dies. He might not.

at this point it’s so obvious that he doesn’t know how to finish this book. probably doesn’t even know how to finish ASOIAF as a whole. I’m not even going to bother reading the last two books, that is if he even finishes either of them. I’ll just read the cliffs for my favorite characters.

I suspect he has a plan for the "supernatural" ending but has painted himself into a corner with the politics just making things more and more complex rather than scaling down.

I suspect he has a plan for the "supernatural" ending but has painted himself into a corner with the politics just making things more and more complex rather than scaling down.
I should clarify: when I say he doesn’t know how to finish ASOIAF, I mean that he doesn’t know how to pave the way to the preplanned conclusion that he has had in his head & in his heart since the very beginning.

so basically I agree w/ what you are saying here.

I should clarify: when I say he doesn’t know how to finish ASOIAF, I mean that he doesn’t know how to pave the way to the preplanned conclusion that he has had in his head & in his heart since the very beginning.

so basically I agree w/ what you are saying here.

To me he gives the impression of someone trapped in his comfort zone throwing in more and more detail rather than being able to link everything together.

Then again I do personally tend to think the books whilst fun aren't actually that great and have been improved by the shows cast and production, he's no Frank Hebert, Tolkien or Gene Wolfe when it comes to creating atmosphereic worlds/prose IMHO.

I feel like he gave up back 2016.

If the book series is ever finished, it definitely won't be by his hands.

It’s just a matter of time until the fat fuck chokes on a Reuben sandwich and dies.

No surprise there. He might finish the manin books before he dies. He might not.

I feel like the TV-show taking the job of finish the saga (they already got points from him to end it) made him feel free to do whatever prefer... like more than usual

He already accepted the tv will complete his opera before himself with the books, so if there was any sign of hurry it's gone now lol

Disappointed.

I already have an encyclopedia of a fire and ice that has a lot of history. I want to read the current story line, Damn’t!

Lol @ all the fat fucks mad at the fat fuck for not releasing more of his mediocre books so they can sit on their fat fuck asses and circle jerk over a mediocre show

Back