Askren On Maias Wrestling (and how to help woodley train)

Do you guys think that will help Maia a lot? Woodley will have to punch up
yes, for a variety of reasons... it actually plays into maias game perfectly dont you think?

yes, for a variety of reasons... it actually plays into maias game perfectly dont you think?
Yup I think woodley having to punch up and his tendencies to get close to the cage will play into maia's advantage. He has taken down bigger wrestlers like Chael also guys like Fitch and Story. But I know Woodley is dangerous as fuck and can clip him with something. I'm never sure of anything in MMA that's why I love it anything can happen.

Yup I think woodley having to punch up and his tendencies to get close to the cage will play into maia's advantage. He has taken down bigger wrestlers like Chael also guys like Fitch and Story. But I know Woodley is dangerous as fuck and can clip him with something. I'm never sure of anything in MMA that's why I love it anything can happen.
Yeah, usually, woodley being shorter should make him harder for wrestling based takedowns, except, maia does a lot of trips, throws and guard pulling.... So i think he should be fine there.

And once there, the size advantage will probably help keep tyrun down

I agree Woodley is probably the bigger challenge, but he doesn't necessarily need to take him down in a traditional sense. Hell, he could just take his back in a scramble. If he turns it into a grappling game like he did against Masvidal he has a chance.
I agree. I don't think he'll secure a clean takedown but Maia is very creative in the ways he inniates guard and scrambles. I dont care who is on top, Maia is a threat to anyone on the ground. He certainly has a chance I just hope, I just hope the opportunity presents itself for him.

It looks like Maia has more trouble with guys like Masvidal with more skilled stand up and some tdd than wrestlers like woodley even if he has hammers for hands. The way I imagine this fight is Woodley putting his back to the cage and Maia taking advantage of that. He took down guys like Chael, fitch and story
Also I think the size difference will play a factor.

Chael, Fitch and Story are nothing like Woodley

I think if Maia can keep wrapping Woodley up without taking too much damage, he can wear on him over 5 rounds and eventually have a chance at some nice positioning.

Does that make me a racist?

Maia doesn't even have the gas to do that for 5 rounds. He was gassed vs Masvidal

8wjsm1.jpg

I must admit, as a Maia fan I was scared, cause you know, Woodley is big and explosive n shit.

But after watching their twitter video... Tyron "Tiny" Woodley is getting choked the fuck out.

With that size difference Woodley ain't stuffin shit.

WAR MAIA !!!!!

its harder to take down short muscular guys. because you have to get so much lower to get under their hips

and if you try to take their back, you have less room to try to get your hooks in

one of the few situations where it pays to be a jacked manlet

Woodley will knock Maia out just like he did Shields.

its harder to take down short muscular guys. because you have to get so much lower to get under their hips

and if you try to take their back, you have less room to try to get your hooks in

one of the few situations where it pays to be a jacked manlet

I'm no expert, but I think that Maia can shoot care free cause even if he fails, his size will help him avoid the gnp. Something similar to what Werdum does with those long ass legs.

Woodley will want no part of his bottom guard.

Also, if Maia does take him down he can keep him down cause of his size.

Just my unprofessional opinion.

Back