Askren On Maias Wrestling (and how to help woodley train)

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

cliffs:

-maia uses a "3 piece" series between, single leg, half guard sweep and underhook/push into the fence
-his pace is relentless
-strikers have to be careful not to engage too much or they will get taken down
-tough to stop... not really much to do except be careful, patient and wait to strike in the right opportunities

sounds like woodley is probably going to fight like he did with wonderboy... zzzzzzzzzzz

tbh Maia looked pretty meh vs Jorge. He looked tired and his td's were pretty telegraphed . I think Woodley stuffs his td's rather easily and ko's him.

I think if Maia can keep wrapping Woodley up without taking too much damage, he can wear on him over 5 rounds and eventually have a chance at some nice positioning.

Does that make me a racist?

He looked tired and his td's were pretty telegraphed
they talk about both these points in the video...

About being tired, ok, true, but the person defending spends more energy. Askren even mentions how masvidal looks to have given up trying to get out because he was too tired.

And the telegraphed takedowns, Askren says he actually appreciates it. He thinks it doesnt matter.

Well Woodley doesn't have the movement or speed of jorge, he just hits like truck. I'm guessing if he don't tag him early he gets tapped. I don't see tyron fighting off subs in the 4th

tbh Maia looked pretty meh vs Jorge. He looked tired and his td's were pretty telegraphed . I think Woodley stuffs his td's rather easily and ko's him.

Masivdal is a far more competent and developed striker than Woodley is. I still favour Woodley, but if Maia can disarm his right straight/ overhand, Maia has next to nothing else on the feet to worry about.

It looks like Maia has more trouble with guys like Masvidal with more skilled stand up and some tdd than wrestlers like woodley even if he has hammers for hands. The way I imagine this fight is Woodley putting his back to the cage and Maia taking advantage of that. He took down guys like Chael, fitch and story
Also I think the size difference will play a factor.

Pretty wild to hear Askren talk that high of Maia's grappling. Dude even shat on GSP not long ago.

Maia truly is a scary grappler.

Jorge had Maia well-scouted, and his sub defense was on-point. We don't really see too much of Woodley's defensive grappling, so it'll be interesting to see what happens if Maia can keep Woodley down.

While I do favor Woodley over Maia, your assessment of the grappling is lacking.

1. Jorge is no slouch in the grappling department.

2. Not only did he use Wrestling (which Woodley is stellar at) BUT he also used good BJJ positioning to counter grapple.

3. The BIGGEST factor for Jorge's success against the TD imo was his MOBILITY. His footwork and distance control is spectacular and a perfect combo to use by a veteran who is light and quick.

While Woodley does have a better sprawl, it will be a lot easier to engage him because he is rather flatfooted.

But like I said, I do agree and think Woodley connects early and gets the job done.

I thought he looked great considering I thought he would get murdered. Gassing isn't that surprising and expect Woodley to gas if he has to grapple as much as Jorge did. I expect Woodley to stuff a lot of TD's but my question is for how long? Woodley fights the way he does because he has to conserve his energy or he will gas it's pretty much obvious at this point.

I guess the real question is who will gas first? Woodley or Maia? and then who will fight better in that state.

While I do favor Woodley over Maia, your assessment of the grappling is lacking.

1. Jorge is no slouch in the grappling department.

2. Not only did he use Wrestling (which Woodley is stellar at) BUT he also used good BJJ positioning to counter grapple.

3. The BIGGEST factor for Jorge's success against the TD imo was his MOBILITY. His footwork and distance control is spectacular and a perfect combo to use by a veteran who is light and quick.

While Woodley does have a better sprawl, it will be a lot easier to engage him because he is rather flatfooted.

But like I said, I do agree and think Woodley connects early and gets the job done.

Do you think Woodley sticking to the cage like he does will hurt him or help him in the grappling?

The TDs telegraphed, his reputation as a grappler precedes him, but the entire division still can't stop the velcro from happening. Woodley can stuff a takedown but how well can he defend the expertly chained attempts when literally no one else (not juiced to the gills) has done it?

I wouldn't be surprised if Maia takes the first round, Woodley wrist grabs and waits, lands a big punch later.

If these guys engage in grappling, I think Woodley is stuck for the round.

Back