Askren calls Dana immature and disrespectful: "he's not going to push me around"

brazilianblood

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
glad to see a fighter actualling talking the truth about dana white... i wonder what will be dana's reaction

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/...igning-with-one-fc-blames-immature-dana-white

When Bellator granted Ben Askren his official release in mid-November, the undefeated former Olympian thought his obvious next step -- signing with the UFC -- would be a mere formality. As it turned out, things weren't so simple.

"It's been a crazy three weeks, but it ended up turning out pretty well for me. I'll be heading over to ONE FC," Askren announced on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, revealing his deal to be a lucrative two-year, six-fight contract.

"I think my first fight is probably going to be either March or April, and then I'll be joining Evolve MMA team for the end of my camps over there in Singapore."

Askren's announcement ends a turbulent, if unexpected free agency period, throughout which UFC President Dana White expressed little interest in signing the longtime Bellator champion, citing a perceived lack of competition on Askren's r

Askren is boring as fuck but I do feel for the guy. He got shit on by both Bellator & UFC.

dana probably realizes that if askren does come to the ufc and do good that hardly any fans will watch his fights and his ppv numbers would be horrible

Dana is a childish baby-man. This was common knowledge already.

The UFC is run like Pro-Wrestling. This is also common knowledge.

Good on Askren for speaking his mind.

i love how dana and co play the good cop bad cop routine - pretty slick - dana is the hot head and then lorenzo is the calm one who builds a relationship with you etc. haha - i like it - they prob knew what they wanted to pay and they just couldnt get askren there, so they passed - they are good at what they do

Hope he loves Asia, now that Bellator dropped him and this happened with the UFC I dont think we will see Funky Ben fighting stateside anytime soon if ever.

I think he maybe crossed the line a bit when he said, "Some of those guys, they really suck. They're really bad at the sport of MMA". But otherwise I agree with him 100%.

personally, i want to see the best dude in the cage.
i dont care what style of fighter the dude is.

"But having Dana tell me to go [to WSOF] was something that was definitely, it was in the back of my mind. Like, dude I'm not going to let this guy push me around. I don't event work for this guy and he's going to push me around?"[/B]

Seriously, ridiculous that Dana was trying to basically micromanage the career of a fighter he'd never paid a dime to.

I think he maybe crossed the line a bit when he said, "Some of those guys, they really suck. They're really bad at the sport of MMA". But otherwise I agree with him 100%.

He isn't wrong.

Never been a big fan of Askren but lol @ him not being good enough for UFC. 80 percent of the fighters in the UFC roster are all cans that Askren would beat without breaking a sweat.

I think the problem is that he is good but he is extremely boring to watch... he would take out fighters that would be marketable and people would not be interested in watching another LNP guy..

well, do we even know what he was asking for? what kinda contract .. lol at everyone hating on dana for this ... dana is right that he hasn't had that much big name experience on his resume, so maybe askren was askin for too much ... i can see him getting 15 to show, 15 to win being realistic and fight his way up from there

Shame the UFC is passing on askren. Funny he says that's why he didn't sign with WSOF too. I could see his rationale. I hope he does good in ONE FC.

Dana is a childish baby-man. This was common knowledge already.

The UFC is run like Pro-Wrestling. This is also common knowledge.

Good on Askren for speaking his mind.

Agreed. I couldn't beleive what happened during the Mark Hunt and Bigfoot fight.....when Travis Browne came running out of the dressing room and cracked Hunt over the head with a steel chair and then gave Bigfoot a DDT while the unconcious referee was shaking out the cobwebs.

:rolleyes:

Situations like this is why it frustrates me to be an MMA fan sometimes. I guess the UFC's quarrel Bellator is more important than having the best fighters fight in the UFC. That and his non-fan friendly fighting style.

2 years and 6 wins later, this guy should be in the UFC. Plain and simple.

Back